Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PLEASE HELP..Before i jump out the window..

• 28-09-2005 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

Here is my pitiful story...

I moved into a "new" apartment building 3 months ago.
    I am a huge internet fan and use it a lot, as well as using it for work.

I got my phone connected (just the line, didn't plug a phone in it)
    And i got broadband on as well.

I was told over the phone 3 times that it would connected on the 28th.

I tried connecting it last night (27th) and on the Netopia Modem the "DSL Sync" light was black. So i called and the guy said "no it's being connected on the 28th, the tech is calling to your exchange in the morning and will activate it, you should then be able to use the internet from the afternoon onwards"

I tried conecteing again at 9.30 this morning (28th), and the DSL Sync light was still black. I rang and the person on the phone said "it's been connected since the 23rd" and the modem may be faulty.. WHAT! I was told last night and twice before it was connected today. What are they talking about!.

So if it is connected today from their end which they are saying it is.. and the DSL sync light is not on. Does that mean the phone connection point is broken in my house?

I'm at my whits end...

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Bartonprince

By the way, the modem is fine because the LAN1 light is on, The Wireless link light is on, and the power light is on..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

By the way, the modem is fine because the LAN1 light is on, The Wireless link light is on, and the power light is on..

No "DSL Sync" light means no DSL .

Did you plug a phone in to listen for 'dialtone' at any stage ....like ???

Nope. When they tell me that my phone line is connected, and has been tested for broadband, and i'm being billed for it, i presumed it was ok. I don't have a phone.

Also, before we moved in we were told that NTL was in the building and we could pay a few quid extra per month to get NTL cable.

So we moved in, applied for NTL Cable and NTL said that our building wasn;t on the system. I'm in Waterford and and as far as i know, the only way i can have Tv channels (we have 11 channels, sky news etc..) is though NTL.

I called the estate agents we bought got the apt off and they said that someone in our building had this problem as well and they spoke with this NTL guy and now they have NTL cable. So i rankg NTL again and they said that it's not on the system

WHATS GOING ON!!!

SO we decided to get Eircom as a last ditch attempt to get the internet and now the above story happened. No DSL sync... does it sound to you like we're not supposed to have the internet?

What shall i do, i actually feel like screaming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭JPA

It seems as though you only want to use your phone line for Broadband as you say you didn't plug in your phone. Am I right?

If so you should pester NTL a bit more. You might be able to get NTL Broadband and get rid of your line rental charge.

Maybe speak to the person in your building who got NTL and see what they did.

I don't want to use a phone (because i have a girlfriend... who has a mother...hehe) i just want to go onto my PC, open an internet explorer window, type something in, and get a result other then "page cannot be displayed".... in this day and age, we have planes, 250MPH cars, we have computers and can calculate billions of pieces of code per second.. but i can't look at a bloody website....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Bart, they guy was getting you to plug in the phone to see if there was aan actual singla and not a fault! he was not asking you to see if you can call you girlfriends mothter! NO SIGNAL NO BB ! the phoneline needs to be enabled for the signal to reach your apt!

TEST IT, SIGNAL YOUR PROBLEM, NO SIGNAL THIERS!

its all gone a bit quiet.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

You are giving up on NTL too quickly. Pester them and tell them that someone else in the building has cable broadband.
    The NTL phone peons don't know anything, talk to a supervisor.

Then contact the estate agent an ask them to sort it out. If they said there was cable broadband available then it should be. If not then it's false advertising and/or breach of contract.

• Advertisement

false advertising it is then.

now i don't have a phojne to test the actual line to see if it worked with a phone in it.
    I've been onto NTL for 2 months. i took the names of 9 people who have checked extensivly and they said even after investigating with tech's etc that my apartments are not on their system.

We moved into the apartment because we were told twice that NTL was available. we turned down a slighly more expensive place that i KNOW had broadband in it on this promise. We signed a contract that expires at christmas, and because we are in contract, if we move to a new house, we loose our deposit so we are stuck in the apartment until christmas.

Unless we can go on the false advertising thing and get our deposit back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

So we moved in, applied for NTL Cable and NTL said that our building wasn;t on the system. I'm in Waterford and and as far as i know, the only way i can have Tv channels (we have 11 channels, sky news etc..) is though NTL.

...So i rankg NTL again and they said that it's not on the system

WHATS GOING ON!!!

Quiet you fool! You are getting free cable.

:D

L.

The reception is appaling, we end up watching DVD's etc.. sound goes off, interfearance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

The reception is appaling, we end up watching DVD's etc.. sound goes off, interfearance.

Unlucky.

Though if the reception is that bad, I doubt the broadband through that cable is going to be anything great either. Had terrible issues ourselves with NTL (dublin) regarding the signal quality coming into the house.

Anyhow that is beside the point. Hope your phoneline is enabled soon.

L.

tested the phone line properly yet??

DSL = Phone Line

Thread is drifting..........

I'll try the phone line, then i'll log back onto the Internet connection i don't have and not let you know how it went until tomorrow =)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

you didnt even give the guy a chance to get out of bed and connect it this morning sheesh .... how is it now?

It's been connected since the 21st and i'm being charged for it already for a week, so they said 28th...

I went home last night and tested a phone in the socket... dead as a dodo...

So i opened the back of the socket to check the wires, there were 4 wires, a Blue one, a Blue and White one, an orange and white one and an orange one (or it may be white).

Only the blue and blue and white ones were connected. I made sure they were in properly, and checked my dads line in he's house which is the same (the other 2 are disconnected).

so there were 3 things i could have done to fix this..

1) Check to see if my phone line was actually connected. YES

2) Check to see if broadband was actually connected. YES

3) CHeck to see if the physical wires in my socket were ok. YES

So out of all the 4 scenarios of thigs i could have fixed myself either physically or over the phone... The one i couldn fix was the actual problem

The cabling outside the building is damaged.

How unlucky can i be??

All the other apartments are fine except for mine..

Can this be repaired by a technitian in 1 day?

This is gonna take weeks.

Is there a dial tone on the phone?

Report a fault to Eircom and say you work from home ? say its very inportant! might work !

no dial done, sure the line is completely dead. i called them. but i don't know how long it will be. i'm at my whits end

• Advertisement

Here is my pitiful story...

I moved into a "new" apartment building 3 months ago.
    I am a huge internet fan and use it a lot, as well as using it for work.

I got my phone connected (just the line, didn't plug a phone in it)
    And i got broadband on as well.

I was told over the phone 3 times that it would connected on the 28th.

I tried connecting it last night (27th) and on the Netopia Modem the "DSL Sync" light was black. So i called and the guy said "no it's being connected on the 28th, the tech is calling to your exchange in the morning and will activate it, you should then be able to use the internet from the afternoon onwards"

I tried conecteing again at 9.30 this morning (28th), and the DSL Sync light was still black. I rang and the person on the phone said "it's been connected since the 23rd" and the modem may be faulty.. WHAT! I was told last night and twice before it was connected today. What are they talking about!.

So if it is connected today from their end which they are saying it is.. and the DSL sync light is not on. Does that mean the phone connection point is broken in my house?

I'm at my whits end...

Thanks

Now 15 post later to answer your thread:-

1. There is no signal to your phone, no ring tone
    2. Hence no DSL light will work
    3. Call and report fault
    4. Tell them you work from home and you rely on it
    5. stop posting silly post on other threads about downloads / uploads
    6. they should give you a callout date, ask for one !!
    7. Hold tight baby

;-)

I did that drapper.....

They said today or tomorrow... But then again, they say alot of things.

I was asking if physical line damage outside the building can be fixed quickly

a word of advice with Eircon.......... kepp calling and get a time if you can! say you've got to arrange someone to let them in !

when fixed makesure you test the "phone" and then " the DSL modem" before he goes!

good luck mate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭peepsbates

nereid wrote:
    Quiet you fool! You are getting free cable.

:D

L.

Errrrrr.....no he aint

Thanks =)

so how did it go mate? any joy?

Hey Drapper, It's fine now!

The Eircom guy came, and all the wires in the comms room in my building were hanging out and never connected! So he connected mine for me and Brodband is working now.

When i'm downloading, I'm getting max around 190kbp/s... is this right for a 2MB line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Yes that's about right for a 2MB connection.

Advertisement