Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A quick n00b query, if you please...

Options
  • 28-09-2005 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭

(n00b as in "been playing the demo for a month, only getting the full game this week")

I read posts in here, in which experienced players refer to using joysticks/emulated PS2 pads to fly copters/planes.

Do you use both the mouse (on foot) and the stick (in the air), or only the stick at all times?

Do the controller options let you specify which is used when?

Only asking as I've just ordered a GameCube-to-PC USB adapter, so if I can use a GC pad instead of the mouse -which I find useless for flight, and that's from a time-served "flight simmer"- I might actually become somewhat useful, once airborne ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I'd say they use the mouse on foot - it's far superiour for long shots / snipers and overall control.
    FPS on a gamepad is near impossible I've found.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Second that (though the pad worked surprisingly well with Halo/Halo2 - let that be the "exception which confirms the rule" ;) ).

'Just clocked a post by Stephen (I think... :confused: ) in another thread, in which he's posted that he uses both at the same time (mouse for look, stick for flying), so that's a bit of an answer I guess.

So, so far I'm surmising that I should be able to configure any kind of input device plugged in according to whether I'm on foot/in a flying vehicle/in a driving vehicle/etc.?

[cue visions of mad scientist at play] guess the desk is gonna look a tad funky, what with the mouse, the keyboard, the GC pad, the PC steering wheel, the pedals of the steering wheels for helo/jet rudder or accelerate/stop, or left tank track/right tank track.... [/end visions of mad scientist at play] :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Its pretty simple, mouse and keyboard for vehicles and on foot, joystick for flight...

*Shudder* imagining playing on foot with a joystick

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Aye. Mouse for looking around on foot, as the contol is great for shooting, and I used the joystick (before it broke) to fly, as it was easier. With the keyboard left was left, but with the stick you could do a gradual left if you wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

@ The_Syco: you mean to tell us that you're flying stuff in BF2 with that graphics card :eek: Can you at least see the helos before getting in ? :D

Only pulling your leg, m8 :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement