Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making my own juggling bizzles

Options
  • 28-09-2005 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭

I made two balls this morning out of balloons and rice. They didn't work out too badly. I managed to get them the almost exactly the same size and weight of my other 3 balls (from the shop). Only thing is that they're a little harder than I'd like and whenever I drop one (hardly ever, I swear! ;) , they get all mashed and I have to squeeze them to get them back into a spherical shape. Anybody know of anything better to use as filling?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Stephenm

Hi

I use Flour as a filling when making balloon balls - it's a little less dense than rice, so I get the weight/size I want.

You could also try millet or birdseed..

Also important is the size of balloon you use - it sounds like the balloons you are using are slightly too small. It is worth buying "helium quality" balloons as they last for years.

Instructions for making balloon juggling balls:

Need:
    Flour, small plastic Sandwich bags, Balloons, Scissors, Spoon.
    Put about 4/5 Tablespoons of flour in a sandwich bag and twist the top.
    Cut the "valve" off the balloon and stretch it over the bag of flour.
    Stretch a 2nd balloon over the ball so that the holes/valves don't match up..
    Repeat with some more balloons (Depending on how strong you want to
    make the balls). 3 or 4 per ball is good.

All this being said I recommend you buy a good set of juggling balls soon - they are a little expensive, but are great value when you consider the number of hours you'll get from them. Make sure to get at least 2 more than you think you'll need!!

Stephen (who has far to many props)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

No offense but it think those juggling balloon bags are s**t. learn to sew and make some proper ones that feel nice and last. check here for some advice and patterns

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

s**t - maybe
    cheap - definitely :D

Fabric bag are just as cheap if not cheaper, from one meter of fabric i get enough to make 100x 2 1/14" bags, cost of fabric €7 another €1.50 for thread and about €6 for 4kgs of millet. works out about 15c per bag and you can make em as firm or as soft as you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Richard W

Man I'd love to be able to make my own stuff. Seems way cheaper, and also pretty nifty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

all good ideas, i must say...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

I think I'm going to take Emmet's suggestion and try and make some decent ones. Any chance of a list of places to get the necessaries?

For the fabric and sewing stuff theres a place just by the southside of the ha'penny bridge as for millet most health food stores have it.

Advertisement