Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADSL Caps

Options
  • 08-09-2001 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

I hope whoever works in the Eircom DSL capping department reads this....

When Eircom decide on what cap to impose on their DSL service, they should differentiate between traffic that stays within Ireland and International traffic. If a user downloads 500GB off the Esat ftp server this isn't going to cost Eircom anything as the traffic passes through the Inex, whereas if they download it from a server in the US this uses up a load of bandwidth which Eircom has to pay for.

This would be very handy for the teleworkers that would be using a VPN to connect into their network as they would only use a very small amount of bandwidth for International traffic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Surely that would mean Eircom using intelligence and planning ahead.. two things which are not likely to happen based on past experiences. Once a monopoly, always a monopoly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

If a user downloads 500GB off the Esat ftp server this isn't going to cost Eircom anything as the traffic passes through the Inex[/B]

No offense CWM, but *koff* talking out yer arse? Hello?

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

I doubt they would bother with anything like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

Originally posted by dahamsta

No offense CWM, but *koff* talking out yer arse? Hello?

adam

I don't mean it's going to cost them nothing, but relative to the cost of international traffic the cost is a lot lower.

Eircom have a peering arrangement with other Irish ISPs through the Inex, which they pay an annual fee for (they don't pay by the MB). Therefore it costs them the same amount if 10MB or 10GB passes through that connection.

Advertisement