Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless broadband in Donegal - is it available?

• 28-09-2005 4:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,786 ✭✭✭✭

This is my 1st post, so please excuse me if this question has been done before.

I live just over the border close to Derry City. I would like to get broadband at home, but have never had my Eircom phone line up and running (just use a UK mobile).

Thing is, I don't want to make phone calls. I just want an internet connection.

Is it possible to get broadband installed without paying for a phone line? I suppose a way around this problem would be wireless broadband, but I can't find anybody offering it.

There used to be a company called FoyleBroadBand but they seemed to have vanished. Searches for them prove fruitless. Also tried IrishBroadBand but they only cover the likes of Dublin, Waterford, Galway, Limerick.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

..........and Strabane and elsewhere. Stated coverage on the site

Greater Belfast

Lisburn

Lagan Valley

Strabane/Liford/Sion Mills

Greater Derry City and surrounding areas including Campsie and Newbuildings

Parts of East Donegal

In order to assuage the sensibilities of those who go rabid at the mention of the word Irish they are not Irish once they cross the border but are called NTR Broadband instead

http://www.ntrbroadband.co.uk/

Irish Broadband are a dreadful company with no service level agreement, good luck . You may be in a quiet and therefore not oversubscribed area. Ask them for a reference customer to check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭DonegalMan

Sponge Bob wrote:
    ..........and Strabane and elsewhere.
    In order to assuage the sensibilities of those who go rabid at the mention of the word Irish they are not Irish once they cross the border but are called NTR Broadband instead

http://www.ntrbroadband.co.uk/

SpongeBob is quite right - I'm getting Broadband from them in Castlefinn, coming off the TV mast in Strabane but they also broadcast from the mast on Sherif's Mountain in Derry; from memory you have to be able to see the top two white lights on it so have a look after dark tonight :)

If you can see the lights then contact the guys in Belfast through the link that SpongeBob gave above - the installation gets done by them but support afterwards is from Dundalk.

Unfortunately, he's also right about the quality of service. My connection gets regularly interrupted by short periods of lost connection due to total packet loss - most days it's 4 or 5 mins every 3 or 4 hours, which I can live with but on bad days I can lose the connection for several hours which is a major PITA. Overall though, it's much better than no Broadband at all!

I had great hopes for IBB, they seemed at one time to be a real challenge to Eircom's obstructionism and the only hope for people in areas like where I live. Unfortunately, they have been much better at talking about what they were going to do, rather than actually doing it :(

Advertisement