Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is blatant discussion of drugs allowed on boards?

Options
  • 28-09-2005 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭

One guy had a great point, about the magic mushrooms being discussed.
    It's been debated before. If you want to buy/find these things there are plenty of other places to find out. As Goodshape outlines, the law is beautifully subtle shade of grey on the area. In this case, boards.ie isn't interested in being a crusader on the issue, and so would prefer to avoid any kind of legal case against it.*

*At some point soon, if they're not made illegal, someone will bring a test case against a supplier for selling to their kids. If boards.ie was making the information available, it's possible it could be dragged into a test case

Well at some point soon someone will bring a test case against a supplier for selling alcohol to their kids. If boards.ie was making the information available, it's possible it could be dragged into a test case.

So why is there an actual forum dedicated to beer/wine/spirits. This is unbelievable!

Yes, mushrooms sold in some shops Psilocybe cubensis, Psilocybe mexicana are not mentioned in law, this does not mean they are neither legal nor illegal. It means they ARE legal, by default. Agaricus bisporus is not mentioned in law either, I dont hear people doubting the legality of it because of this. Cows milk like Psilocybe cubensis, is a carrier of an illegal drug, yet is still legal and can probably be discussed here. Many people probably think the legality of cows milk is a grey area since it is not listed as illegal too.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Surely youre taking the piss?

May I refer you to wetpisskid's other thread wondering why legal mushrooms are being discussed.

May I also refer you to the charter in the beer/wine/spirits forum. Its hardly *unbelievable* that theres a forum dedicated to the discussion of alcohol.
    What *possible* court case can you envisage where boards could be harmed?

"OMG I read about this thing called booze on this internet site. and so beacuse of that I went and bought a bottle of vodka and ended up in hospital getting my stomach pumped" :rolleyes:
    Don't you/any u-18 watch television? Or read national/local press? Or read books? Or have conversations with other actual people? (because thats what this is. be it slightly different to traditional conversation)

Alcohol is mentioned more times in a childs cartoon than it is on boards, tbh.
    And its not like kids are going to be interested in this discussion about suitable wine for a wedding. Or this thread about 15 year old scotch.

The charter also states that you shouldn't read it if youre under 18.

Why dont you run along and find something worthy to complain about?
    Perhaps the amount of bad language on TV annoys you?
    "Dear RTE, Miley says 'holy god' far too often on glenroe, and I think this is blasphemous...."

and so on...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Why? Because they are the rules.

Thread Locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

rubadub wrote:
    So why is there an actual forum dedicated to beer/wine/spirits. This is unbelievable!

It's an actual forum because surreal forums aren't that much use, what with them being hard to see and all that.

The forum exists because I lobbied* for it, the Admins saw some merit in allowing it, and so mote it be.

The charter on the forum, and the 'are you over eighteen' sticky are quite clear on what is and is not frowned upon on the forum.

Believe it baby.

And stop trolling.

*bitched, whinged, pleaded, nagged and begged

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

One could go into this in detail but I think Hobart sums it up nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I am all for the forum on beer/wine/spirits. You must be over 18 to legally buy drink, no such law is in place for vegetables.
    The rules in after hours are
    Drug Talk
    - Discussion of drugs is allowed. Telling people where to buy or requesting that information isn't allowed. Magic Mushrooms, Salvia, DMT etc. are covered by this. Why? Because the admins do not want to be held responsible for posts telling people where to get drugs of any kind. Simple. You can argue about the legality all you want as long as you understand the restrictions on such topics. There might be a forum on legal highs created soon so such things can be discussed in a controlled manner. There is currently no government control over these substances which means they remain in a state of limbo between legal and illegal.

I just presumed the "etc" would be referring to other recreational drugs, like ethanol. Hopefully we will get the recreational drugs forum soon. AFAIK There is government control over vegetables

I dont think I am trolling, you had to bitch and moan for the booze forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

rubadub, feel free to open your own bulletin board and discuss away to your hearts content. You can use phpbb for free and if you need any help setting it up there's a few fora here that can give you helpful advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

rubadub wrote:
    I just presumed
    Presumption is the mother of all fuck ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

rubadub wrote:
    I just presumed
    There's your problem right there. And no, I'm not going to change the charter to clarify.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement