Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Events

• 28-09-2005 5:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Hey all.

I'm on the committee of a society (that will go unnamed for now, for the sake of neutrality :) ) in DCU this year and I was just wondering what kind of events would everyone be looking for on or off campus this year, table quizzes and the like.

In case you have an idea that you'd like someone to use but you'd be thinking I'd take it and claim all the credit, just remember that anyone would be able to browse through the ideas listed here so you're not just sharing with me. If its a really good one then maybe three or four societies could group together and do it.

The reason I'm doing this is because I'm not having much success thinking of a new idea for an event. My muse left when I refused to pay the minumum wage.

Just to get the ball rolling: One idea I've had but could never get off the graound is a sports day, in the middle of the campus! Three-legged race, welly toss etc. Its the kind of thing that would only work in Semester two because of the weather conditions. And to really pull it off you'd need about 2+ clubs/societies working together.

Ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

You can never go wrong with tables quizzes imo

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Depending on what kind of society/club you are can have a huge effect.

For example Tech Week holds lots of events for technically related societies and clubs!

But in general, any event, no matter what it is, will be a success if its well organised and publicised! I like the idea of a sports day. I'd love a carnival, to come on campus like. Reminds me of Grease at the end of the movie!

Team building events are cool, like one soc vs another, gets a real spirit going.

G'luck. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Tabel quiz for sure... outdoor impromptu music too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭charba

Scr&#225 wrote: »
    Hey all.

Just to get the ball rolling: One idea I've had but could never get off the graound is a sports day, in the middle of the campus! Three-legged race, welly toss etc. Its the kind of thing that would only work in Semester two because of the weather conditions. And to really pull it off you'd need about 2+ clubs/societies working together.

Ideas?

I think this is a great idea, I wanted to get something outside on clubs and socs days but I thought of it too late as in 2 weeks before it, but it will be passed on this year and see if anyone will do it next year. The whole crazy sports would work great during RAG week since its the start of second semester and RAG week is full of crazy stuff anyway,
    If you are serious about pulling it off though I'd love to help out.

Quizzes can be great but there are just so many of them, perhaps if a few societies joined together and had a mega quiz with really really different prizes, it doesn't have to be expensive, just something that hasn't been done before really, then a table quiz could be something brill. Lets face it, with the amount of DVD players floating around in last few years we need a break. I think redbrick did a great thing last year by offereing the iPod Nano. It was new, nad different.
    If you brought societies with different interests and the questions would be based on the interests of the socieites then it would be a great way to mix all the societies up, but i don't think how that would work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

yeah, the monday of rag week. people will still be on that whole RAG week buzz. you could try get it sponsored by a few companies to have prizes, that way you could charge people money to enter, either teams or individuals, for all events or just one or two. people will enter if they're getting something out of it. students like free stuff, y'no?
    i would also lend a hand if you need it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

A game of hide and seek on campus.

Its not very pratical, but it'd be great fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Jesjes wrote:
    A game of hide and seek on campus.

Its not very pratical, but it'd be great fun!
    Oh God that'd be excellent... you might have to limit it to certain areas of the college, it'd go all day if it was campus-wide. A Grattan hide-out...

can i play? i got a great hiding place...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

A great hiiding place would be between the 2 bank doors in aib, nobody would ever get in there

or in the bar, people rarely go there after the first few weeks!

• Advertisement

Haha, please god it'll be different this year!

I think its great people like the idea! We should consider it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

sommin involving booze and music mate will get the masses there :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Rhyme wrote:
    Oh God that'd be excellent... you might have to limit it to certain areas of the college, it'd go all day if it was campus-wide. A Grattan hide-out...
    OR have the hiders wear global tracking devices and hunt the deadliest prey of all....

man...

Advertisement