Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom deLay Indicted

Options
  • 28-09-2005 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭

This could be interesting...

will it turn out to be dirty political manouevering, or is there actually substance to this charge?

I seem to recall the possibility of this popping up last year for something, but can't remember what.

(Breaking news at the moment, which I'm watching on CNN...no links yet)

jc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tut tut, assuming we all know who the hell this fella is....

Mike.

Justice deLayed is justice deNied...

Now off to Google that name...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭black_jack

bonkey wrote:
    This could be interesting...

will it turn out to be dirty political manouevering, or is there actually substance to this charge?

I seem to recall the possibility of this popping up last year for something, but can't remember what.

(Breaking news at the moment, which I'm watching on CNN...no links yet)

jc

Delay's trust offloaded some stock in a company as a "show of good faith" due to a potential conflict of interest, turns out at the same time as he was offloading stock so were a number of company directors, before stock took a dive.

It's not Enron, yet. But for me, combine this with stories of Halliburton, scoping up massive contracts for post new orleans recontstruction, I'm just left staggered how the US media can let this level of corruption go unchecked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭athena 2000

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

Tom DeLay was the US House of Representatives majority leader until today. He was elected the House majority leader in 2002 by fellow Republican congressmen. He represents the 22nd congressional district in Texas. He can be an ultra-conservative at times, and is known for making party members tow the line.

This link from CNN should give a decent overview. A video clip that uses coffee cups to demonstrate how money was contributed to the Republican National State election committee that seeks to elect Republicans to the Texas State Legislature is useful. Corporate contributions to political campaigns are illegal in Texas.

A Texas grand jury indicted him. We'll see what happens next...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

of course the republican supporters are crying, "what is with all the partisan politics when we have arabs trying to kill us all"

trying very hard to divert attention from this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

mike65 wrote:

No, No.

Just assuming that anyone who doesn't know who he is won't have anything to add until after they've gone and read up about him :)

jc

bonkey wrote:
    No, No.

Just assuming that anyone who doesn't know who he is won't have anything to add until after they've gone and read up about him :)

jc

Also I got Delay mixed up with Frist, (senate majority leader). Frist is being investigated for fraud and insider trading, Delay for campaign funding raising irregularities.

Delay proclaims this the most frivilous and wasteful investigation in US political history, I hear Ken Lay is a tad miffed.

Wait I mean Kenn Starr! Kenn Starr!, Starr report!!! into cigars and semen! Ken Lay is who again? right, republican contributor who made massive profits from Halliburton stock options when halliburton was awarded massive rebuilding contracts with, no wait I'm thinking of Cheney! Lay, Lay, lay, oh I remember Enron!

So how does Delay fit into all this, sod it, someone draw me a a flow charter, or a flip chart or something. typing the words republican, irregularies, misappropriation, and corruption into google, makes it blow up.

typing the words republican, irregularies, misappropriation, and corruption into google, makes it blow up.
    Well, having tried that, its safe to say that the men in dark suits and darker sunglasses will be paying youa visit very shortly.

You're obviously either Unpatriotic, anti-american, or both. You're possibly even a Weevil Nukular Tourist.

So off to Where-would-you-like to-disappear-to-today with you ;)

All jokes aside...expect to see plenty of this type of bluster from the GOP as they try and "resolve" this issue the way everything seems to be done in US politics at the moment - by winning the media-based war of discrediting the other side, rather than dealing with the allegations themselves.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

With Bushes approval rating in the toilet at the moment (not at Nixons level yet) I wonder if this had anything to do with it. Appears people are going after those that would of been previously untouchable.

The latest news regarding this is that it appears that Cheney/Bush may of been directly related to the Plame+Rove incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

bonkey wrote:
    You're obviously either Unpatriotic, anti-american, or both. You're possibly even a Weevil Nukular Tourist.
    Cue vigilantee News of the World readers attacking tourists.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1709708.stm
    Mob justice

There was a similar case in Norwich, and a celebrated incident when an entirely innocent South Wales paediatrician was attacked after confusion over the meaning of the word.

• Advertisement

Victor wrote:
    Cue vigilantee News of the World readers attacking tourists.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1709708.stm

That story combined with the image of Sarah's traumised parents on the front cover of the News of World signing "Sarah's Law" while visibly shell shocked and traumatised should be tatoo'd on the back of Rebecca Wade, as she is locked into a stocks while the families of everyone traumatised and victimised by the pig ignorant NoW readers lob bricks and rotten fruit at her.

The grossiest most cynical abuse of power by a newspaper editor since Kelvin Mc Kenize published "the truth" post hillisborough in the sun. Its a testimony to liverpool that chip shops there won't even wrap cod in that paper nearly fifteen years late.

Oh look, I appear to have wandered waaayyyyyy off topic.

Only the dry cool wit of Jon Stewart can save me now
    http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/the_daily_show/videos/headlines/index.jhtml?playFromVidCat=160

Looks like he got slapped with a second indictment today.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

And today it's just been announced that DeLay won't be seeking re-election in November. link

DeLay has denied all allegations of wrongdoing. There is a hint of guilt-by-association given that a few days ago his former deputy chief of staff pleaded guilty to corruption. Specifically, to "running a criminal enterprise out of DeLay's office".

All of this trouble seems to have hurt his chances of re-election, but he also faces trial himself later this year and the Washington Post points out that withdrawing from the race this early means that he can keep his election funds to pay for his defense.

This trial of a former House majority leader could be very influential come mid-term election time. If he has any dirty secrets, it wouldn't bode well for the GOP.

Advertisement