Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line Testing Still A Joke.

Options
  • 28-09-2005 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

We're opening a new shop in a brand new development in Buncrana next month.

As part of the preparation, we got two new phone lines connected 2 weeks ago. Just checked them on Eircom's online tester today - one fails, one passes.

I'm delighted of course that we can actually get Broadband but I'm bemused at how one line can pass and one can fail, it just shows how pathetic the testing is.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

They should really get a new coin for the “line tests”. The current one seems to have a bias caused by Eircom accountants biting it to check if it's real.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

I'm amazed you didn't get a pairgan for your 2 new lines!

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Be more amused:

I have a brand new line, connected to an enabled exchange...

you already know what im about to tell you!

Line fails.... not surprised really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭incisor71

Blitz wrote:
    Be more amused:

I have a brand new line, connected to an enabled exchange...

you already know what im about to tell you!

Line fails.... not surprised really
    Same story here - although I'm more bemused than amused!

I'm in a house within the city boundary, a few neighbours have broadband, I requested service relocation of BT broadband (from my old abode) onto a brand new Eircom line, only to find it doesn't support broadband. Eircom's explanation is "no reason". To add insult to injury, this unavailability constituted "termination by the customer" according to BT, who then shafted me for the remaining 6 weeks rental of their service and overcharged me by €54 to boot.

I am not best pleased with either company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭jetsonx

DonegalMan wrote:
    . Just checked them on Eircom's online tester today

Did not know such a thing existed. Anyone have a link ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

You can't link to anything on the Eircom website. Just go to www.eircom.ie , click on Sign Up Now in the broadband panel, then click on Check if your line is suitable for broadband.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Just a reminder, Eircom only runs the test once a month. So if you just get your line installed, remember it could be up to one month before it is tested, it will register as failed until then.

And don't bother ringing Eircom to run the test, they won't, they simply read the results of the database and they can't actually run the test.

bk wrote:
    Just a reminder, Eircom only runs the test once a month. So if you just get your line installed, remember it could be up to one month before it is tested, it will register as failed until then.

And don't bother ringing Eircom to run the test, they won't, they simply read the results of the database and they can't actually run the test.
    My observations from the Netsource website suggest that testing is performed every four weeks. It was the attitude of the Eircom CS reps ("well you can't have it, and if you won't settle for ISDN then just plain go away") that got my goat. However, whilst knowing that they're reading from a database lookup and not live test results, it doesn't pay to call them liars if you want to get somewhere with them.

{Edit: In my last abode, when my line was failing the test, I rang Netsource and they were able to put in a request with Eircom to test the line inside the 4-week window - sure enough, it passed the very next day.}

It would appear, given this additional knowledge and my recent unsavoury experience, that the only way to effect a broadband relocation is to have a new line installed at least one month before requesting service relocation. That way, the line will have been tested prior to the switchover date and there'll be one less reason for that dreaded showstopper "failed" result.

It baffles me why Eircom can't simply execute the line test on the day the customer wiring is completed and the line fully commissioned. It would save a great deal of heartache and frustration for all concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Surely it's in their own interest to pre-qualify new lines. The likely scenario:

Customer orders new phoneline having moved into new home / business.
    Line installed.
    Attempts to order DSL
    Line comes up as "failed"
    eircom's misinformed sales reps take this to mean the line's actually incapable of carrying DSL rather than that no test has ever been carried out.
    Customer gets run around.
    Customer assumes DSL service is impossible.
    Customer goes with Wirless / cable instead!
    eircom loose a sale and may even loose a PSTN customer to the likes of Metro broadband nowadays.

Why can't the line test show "line not yet tested - first test due on XX/XX/05" that would be the VERY least bit of useful info they could provide! Saying that an untested new line has failed is actually misinformation.

I had the exact same scenario... my new line in Dublin 6 failed for over 5 weeks then suddenly started passing.

Their line test procedure is absolutely idiotic!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭b0bsquish

heres a good one. basically place i work, applied for broadband, line failed so eircom told them to install a new line, it will work on that, so new line gets put in, that line passes get told by eircom broadband is now working, so plug in the router...no sync. after a week of calling them up and there insistance that it was turned on, and working but still nothing. Then tried plugging the router into the OLD line (yes the one that fails the test, and the reason for the new line going on) had the broadband enabled on it, even thou eircom still think its on the other line! there a complete joke of a company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

They're in good company, though. Irish ISP's in general leave a lot to be desired. In my experience, Eircom is the best of the lot when it comes to delivering what they claim to deliver.

Solair wrote:
    Surely it's in their own interest to pre-qualify new lines. The likely scenario:

Customer orders new phoneline having moved into new home / business.
    Line installed.
    Attempts to order DSL
    Line comes up as "failed"
    eircom's misinformed sales reps take this to mean the line's actually incapable of carrying DSL rather than that no test has ever been carried out.
    Customer gets run around.
    Customer assumes DSL service is impossible.
    Solair has a point here, with particular emphasis on misinformed sales reps. Every sales rep in Eircom I've spoken to has been totally ignorant of the distinction between "performing a line test" and "looking up the result of a line test" - and, more to the point, unwilling to be corrected on the subject. When I tell them that I know what the line was last tested they sit up and say "where did you get this information??" ... do they pretend not to know about Netsource?? One rep even started to tell me about how she herself was unable to get broadband in central Dublin - did it not occur to her to check out why, and with her being an Eircom employee, would she not be able to find out more than Joe Average here?

Any attempts I've made to get a technical explanation draw a blank. I armed myself with all possible information regarding single-ended loop tests, bridge tap reflections, pair gains, DACS, etc. (electronic engineering degree seeping out there) but it goes over the roofs of their call centre buildings, never mind over their heads. I've lost count of how many times I've rung them, begging for a re-test, only to be told each time:

"The System {that logic-munching monolith, The System} says that your line fails...

... it must be your distance from the exchange" {ehrm, no, my next-door neighbours have it}
    ... it must be the quality of your line" {so when you were laying down the wiring loom for the estate, my neighbours got Brown Thomas twisted pair deluxe, with every metre personally autographed by Sir Anthony, and I got Yellowpack knock-off copper??}
    ... ok, have you considered ISDN?" {Needless to say I always reply "no way".}

After Eircom not testing my line at all for two months, and not admitting to it, I rang Netsource (just like when I was activating my first phone line 9 months ago). A very helpful and friendly lady said that she'd request a line test for my line with Eircom Wholesale (as opposed to Eircom Retail - dunno what the distinction is) but that there could be a bit of a wait.

So I waited just under a week - and last Wednesday, hey presto, the line is passing 100% for all broadband services. A happy ending, but the intervening hassle created by Eircom was unpalatable and completely avoidable.

After this mini-dissertation, it smacks of me sleeping with the enemy that I've signed up with Eircom for broadband - but it's simply because I'm sick of the ongoing billing problems inherent with BT Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

Ive heard too many stories of people being told by eircom to get a line installed and then they'll test it and it failed. Thats a joke. i moved into a new house. called Eircom and was told to tell them i wanted broadband and would only take the phone line if i could get broadband.
    Guess what? They said
    pay for the installation then we'll test it to see if you can get broadband.
    err - no i dont want the phoneline unless its got broadband.
    sorry sir, thats the way we do business here at Eircom.

Si i called a wireless provider. got broadband. Then signed up for voip and now i have phone broadband and no line rental.
    And the best bit. Eircom dont get a penny out of it.

We need to clone your attitude JimmySmith.. becuase if more people thought like you, eircom would be forced into doing something about it. However, it's people that take it on the chin (like a lot of the IBB moaners) that encourage this crap service level to continue (not just in eircom). So, fair play.

incisor71, you reckon that the BT billing issues would be worse than the treatment you got from eircom? I'm baffled as to how you'd want to go with them after all that.

.cg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

incisor71 wrote:
    ... ok, have you considered ISDN?"
    You have not to be a conspiracy believer to understand that the fact that Eircom has a very strong financial incentive not to get into a hurry with supplying broadband is determining eircom's whole attitude (in general and with individual customers).

If Eircom would not benefit from supra-profitable dial-up (for example if true affordable flat-rate dial-up had been introduced as Dermot Ahern had directed ComReg in February 2003) over broadband, then all of a sudden all those hindrances would fall away.

As it is, there is simply no incentive for a short term profit orientated company to extend the footprint of broadband beyond that of competitors, fix lines, improve (shorten) individual customer loop lengths, improve speed of customer broadband set-up etc.
    P.

cgarvey wrote:
    incisor71, you reckon that the BT billing issues would be worse than the treatment you got from eircom? I'm baffled as to how you'd want to go with them after all that.

.cg
    It was a case of choosing one's battles... and seeing which of the two situations poses the lesser of two evils. Only time will tell. {Edit: And even if I had gone with BT I'd still have had to jump through all the aforementioned hoops... for xDSL, at least.}

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

god i want broadband i live 3km away from my friend and he has Eircon DSL so i thaught it was getting closer yay but rang Eircon they said i could get Broadband Wireless o goody im gonna pay €700 for a 3foot mast & Antenna for a 512k Package at something like €70 a month no thanks!

Thank god the Community Broadband Scheme in the Area is finishing up its network & offering 2mb for around €50 a month

Roll on
    **** you Eircon:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

I had my Eircom line installed on the 18th Aug, but it failed the line test until
    3rd Nov. When I called Eircom to ask what the problem was I got this really helpful reply, "Well, I don't really know why its failing. Maybe you should ask someone who knows about Broadband" . I was left just a little speechless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭badrobot

Although my line 'fails' in the online test, I eventually got Eircom to do a new test on the line.

They told me that the verdict was neither a pass, nor a fail, but a "No Result". What exactly does this mean?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Well, as you know, when you do an online "test", what actually happens is that the website queries a database of already tested lines. Lines are tested supposedly on a monthly basis.

If your line's new or has recently been changed for some reason, "no result" would indicate that the line's never been tested and that there's no result recorded in the database. Oddly enough, in this situation the website tells you that your line's Failed.

On the other hand, it could also be that the eircom person you were talking to is completely clueless and has no more idea what's going on with your line than your neighbour's granny's dog does!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

badrobot wrote:
    Although my line 'fails' in the online test, I eventually got Eircom to do a new test on the line.

They told me that the verdict was neither a pass, nor a fail, but a "No Result". What exactly does this mean?

Do you pay line rental to Eircom or a reseller (BT etc.). Have you tried Smart for BB?

I pay Eircom.

I've tried Smart Telecom, and unfortunately they aren't available in my exchange, apparently, but it's definitely an activated exchange.

Thanks for the help, btw.

badrobot, what area are you in. Is cable an option? Have you tried magnet? I would keep badgering Eircon about it.

badrobot, did you check the test result on Netsource? Earlier this year, when I got a previously-used line newly reactivated, it showed "Incomplete Result" prior to its first test date (and, naturally, won't show a testing date). See if your line shows something similar.

Confusingly, it'll also show this result if your exchange isn't enabled for broadband! But you mentioned that yours definitely is a broadband activated exchange, so at least you'll have a definite result.

I live in Dalkey. Some of my friends who live literally a 1 minute walk away are eligible and yet I'm not.

Yeah, I checked on Netsource. What's weird is the line isn't installed and yet it still hasn't been tested. I called Eircom and he told me that he's ordered a test and to check back in 2 days.

Paulm, Magnet use the standard Eircom DSL lines, don't they?

Can you get NTL?

Magnet use the Eircon lines but they use adsl 2+ (I think), this has a longer range and better speeds. I think you have to change your number if you move to them (you do with Smart) but someone here said that you can keep your number.

I can't get NTL or Clearwire, or Irish Broadband unfortunately. I've tried nearly all the companies, I think pestering Eircom is the way to go.

badrobot wrote:
    What's weird is the line isn't installed and yet it still hasn't been tested. I called Eircom and he told me that he's ordered a test and to check back in 2 days.
    I don't quite follow this... you say that the line hasn't been installed yet and still hasn't been tested...?

The line test is electrically invalid if it is performed before the complete installation of exchange equipment and customer wiring is in place. Only if you can hear a dial tone from your new line can you be sure that the wiring is in place - if you dial your phone number before wiring is completed you'll hear the ring signal even with no handset plugged in.

Idiotically, Eircom tested my line four days before the wiring was completed, so it failed the test. I could not persuade them to see the inverse logic of that sequence, they didn't care as long as they had a pass/fail result to give out.

• Advertisement

badrobot wrote:
    I can't get NTL or Clearwire, or Irish Broadband unfortunately. I've tried nearly all the companies, I think pestering Eircom is the way to go.

Try Magnet.

Advertisement