Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

good "different" clothes stores for young guys?

• 28-09-2005 6:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

I've had it, finally had it. I'm sick of jack&jones, river island, next, topshop and all that crap. I live in lucan, where it seems absolutely everyone shops in river island in liffey valley. So everywhere i turn i see river island polos, jeans, shirts etc etc. Its ridiculous! Why doesn't everyone just don grey uniforms and swastikas and be done with it.

Its not that i hate the clothes in those stores (I really like alot of them) or that i'm some fashion snob but i'm sick of wearing the exact same clothes as everyone else. its becoming a uniform.

I'm cleaning out my wardrobe, everything. Can anyone please recommend me some good stores in town that sell good quality clothes that i won't see everyone else wearing? I don't mind paying for expensive clothes as long as they're worth it.

any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,178 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Try Dundrum shopping centre, a 15 minute LUAS from town, fair few mens stores there.

In town Arnotts has a decent selection...i guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

get your clothes on the internet if your looking for more unique stylish clothes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 jothee

BrightEyes wrote:
    get your clothes on the internet if your looking for more unique stylish clothes

i've tried that with very little success as sizes are wildly inconsistant. for example i ordered a pair of jeans from abercrombie in a 32X34. they fit like a 36x36. pretty ridiculous. another pair could be totally different. shirts are the same. there's simply no quality control.

until brands start using proper sizing standards i don't see online clothes shopping catching on big. you really have to be able to try things on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 RobVanDamager2

eager beaver/urban outfitters in temple bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

jothee wrote:
    i've tried that with very little success as sizes are wildly inconsistant. for example i ordered a pair of jeans from abercrombie in a 32X34. they fit like a 36x36. pretty ridiculous. another pair could be totally different. shirts are the same. there's simply no quality control.

until brands start using proper sizing standards i don't see online clothes shopping catching on big. you really have to be able to try things on.

Christ, nothing pisses me off more than that kinda crap! :mad:
    Really does make buying clothes online impossible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Yeah, thats exactly why I don't buy clothes online either, I suppose if you can find the like in a shop here try it on so you know what size to get then order online. A guy I work with bought a pair of camper shoes from a Spanish site, but they turned out to be the wrong size so they changed them for him he only had to pay to ship them back to Spain, not bad!!

I tend to shop in Envy, Debenhams or Arnotts, it more of a location thing I work on Henry St so they are the "limited" choice I have on my lunch. I know Envy's range aren't always the best but I've found the service there great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 jothee

gillo wrote:
    Yeah, thats exactly why I don't buy clothes online either, I suppose if you can find the like in a shop here try it on so you know what size to get then order online.

the problem is sizes are still inconsistent, even within one brand. i remember buying a pair of gap jeans in arnotts, 32x34, fit pretty well. after trying them on i picked up another pair, same size, same style, different wash, figuring they'd fit the same. well when i got home i found the waist fit like a 28. lol.

trying things on is a must, but sometimes buying online is worth the risk.

i had a look around temple bar, stephen's green today. some nice clothes shops. i had no money tho, so i'm gonna go back out tomorrow.

anyone know where to get some good quality hoodies? i'm thinkin of ordering one from abercrombie. i don't care much for brand logos, but i've heard they're really good quality.

are skate hoodies any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Try the Georges street arcade and around there, a bit different. but yes it is becoming like a uniform

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Try the Eager Beaver in Temple Bar too. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Try Zara, not too many guys shop their. None of my mates shop their. I'm wearing two things at the mo from their. Jeans and Hoodie. Unusual stuff, pretty stylish i think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭chern0byl

Shrimp wrote:
    Try Zara

Yeah definitely. A couple of my friends work in there so im always pestering for their discount. Great boutiques in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

edit - that site is very borderline and besides, has nothing to do with the OP's query. Think of this as a warning - simu for a list of "different" clothing retailers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Shrimp wrote:
    Try Zara, not too many guys shop their. None of my mates shop their. I'm wearing two things at the mo from their. Jeans and Hoodie. Unusual stuff, pretty stylish i think.

agree'd. Great shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

jothee wrote:

They never will; they just do it to annoy. (Shoe sizes are the same). American brands generally, tho, do have slightly bigger sizes because of that country's current issues with unsightly wobbliness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

As a matter of interest, does anyone know of any sites that you can by Converse on? Specifically, the Chuck Taylor's...

The cheapest I've found them anywhere in Dublin is €55. Considering they're so cheap, there *must* be somewhere online that you can buy them from. Since they're such a particular brand too, you could easily ascertain the correct size from just trying them on in a local shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Try Aspecto. Cant remember the name of the street it's on. Just off Grafton Street.

Also make sure you buy clothes when you are on holidays.

Anyone recommend any really good places to shop outside Dublin, inside Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

BT2, Genius, G-Star, Raidar, House of Fraser, Harvey Nicks. All upper end of the market price wise, but all do very "stylish" clothes. I'm a g-star freak although i know the owners/staff so get a nice discount in both the stores and Raidar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭*Sassy*

For anyone that's interested there's also a new shop in the Powerscourt Centre called All Saints. It's actually a chain but is the first Irish outlet. Fairly pricey but very cool stuff.

Also try the men's section in the basement of Brown Thomas. It's pricey as well but not as bad as people seem to think. At the end of the day, if a guy wants to look different from everyone else he'll often have to spend more, whereas girls can experiment on a smaller budget. Although you wouldn't always think that when walking down the street!

Advertisement