Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vote for damien.m

Options
  • 28-09-2005 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭

Vote for damien.m (Damien Mulley) Chairman of Ireland Offline in the Irish Internet Association "Net visionary awards".

http://www.netvisionary.ie/vote2005.html

Damien has spent a significant amount of his own time to try and get better internet access for everyone in the country. This includes friaco (flat rate internet access) and broadband. He has spent a lot of his own money travelling up from Cork to attend meetings around the country. He doesn’t get paid for what he does and doesn’t get nearly enough thanks for his tireless efforts.

He does have a vision and I think you should vote for him. (Please put something relevant in the company box so your vote is counted).

Best of luck Damien!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

hear hear

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Voted and well deserved if i may say

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

shinzon wrote:
    Voted and well deserved if i may say

Ditto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I feel a perl script coming on. I would vote for Damo if it weren't for all the other questions and what looks like registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

*blush*

Cheers guys.

And Blaster99, it's latrine duty for you from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

A vote for damien is a vote for communism!
    Naa I kid, vote placed!
    I dont think John Breslin will take to kindly to this thread :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Voted for Mr Mulley.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Another markup for Mulley. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

I voted for the supreme overlord.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

GaRtH_V wrote:
    A vote for damien is a vote for communism!
    *snort* Not unless he's studying law to become the next Larry Lessig! :)

• Advertisement

Ken Shabby wrote:
    *snort* Not unless he's studying law to become the next Larry Lessig! :)

Apparently I'm studying law to be the next Mary Robinson. I'll have a candle burning in Chez Mulley for all those without broadband.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Keep it away from the net curtains.

Leave Annette Curtin out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Yep, he got my vote.

P. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Praetorian wrote:
    Damien has spent a significant amount of his own time to try and get better internet access for everyone in the country. This includes friaco (flat rate internet access) and broadband.
    With all due respect (and I consider Damien a friend, so I know he will not disapprove my setting the record straight), it was the previous IOFFL chairman, Christian Cooke (Xian) who was responsible for getting the minister to instruct Eircom to make Friaco available. And it was Friaco that made the rollout of broadband in Ireland possible.

Give credit where credit is due, folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Yoda wrote:
    With all due respect (and I consider Damien a friend, so I know he will not disapprove my setting the record straight), it was the previous IOFFL chairman, Christian Cooke (Xian) who was responsible for getting the minister to instruct Eircom to make Friaco available. And it was Friaco that made the rollout of broadband in Ireland possible.

Give credit where credit is due, folks.

I don't believe you have posted that crap. You should be banned for off topic. Christian doesn't seem to be nominated. Maybe if there was an award for trying to shut down IrelandOffline we could nominate him for that. Or maybe we could nominate him for his work in the GDSS. How's that doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Praetorian, I have no idea what bee is in your bonnet; I merely corrected your errors of fact. Damien Mulley is a fine, hard-working man, and may well deserve the prize for which he has been nominated. Friaco and broadband, however, were not introduced on his watch as Chairman of IrelandOffline. Christian Cooke spent two years as Chairman and at least a year as a committee member before that. He worked tirelessly to get Friaco--when many other IrelandOffline members believed that only Local Loop Unbundling would solve Ireland's problems. And when the minister was convinced, and instructed Eircom to implement Friaco, it was then that the first real broadband became available to the general public in Ireland. I have not maligned Damien. You have, however, maligned Christian, and you have falsely attributed his achievement to Damien. Doubt me? It's all there in the archives.

When he resigned and mooted the shut-down of IrelandOffline, it was because he'd spent his last year running into a brick wall with government, and he believed that only other means would get universal broadband access to everyone in Ireland. (That too is in the archives here.) Damien and others felt that it would be better to keep IrelandOffline going. Personally, I don't know what IrelandOffline has achieved since then; I don't live in Dublin any more so increased speed isn't an issue for me; and in rural Mayo, well, there's been no infrastructure upgrade from Eircom, so I'm part of a Group Broadband Scheme which will go online soon. (The government's Group Broadband Schemes, by the way, were also a result of the work Christian did as Chairman of IrelandOffline.)

Get your facts straight before you shoot from the hip, Praetorian.

We have FRIACO in Ireland?

Chill lads. You both mean well. No need to get upset about this issue.

Adam, gimme back that giant spoon.

• Advertisement

damien.m wrote:
    Adam, gimme back that giant spoon.
    MINE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I would like to thank Damien for giving me access to no less than three reasonably fast broadband alternatives. If it weren't for the fact that one of them is Irish Broadband, I would have given the man a vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

Ken Shabby wrote:
    We have FRIACO in Ireland?
    I know it is off topic here, so I'll keep it tiny.

We do have FRIACO (as in Flat Rate Internet Access Call Origination – meaning the ISP pays a flat rate for the port) in Ireland, and it was hard fought for by IOFFL then.
    But we didn't get retail flat-rate dial-up access out of FRIACO, as IOFFL had fought for and as the Minister (Ahern) had directed(*) the regulator to introduce.
    What we got is a regulator falsely claiming to have achieved retail flat-rate dial-up Internet access; Eircom and other ISP's mis-selling (in breach of the Consumer Act) prepaid Internet hour bundles with inbuilt punitive overreach charges as flat-rate products.
    So it is no wonder the hopes the Minister had uttered then were dashed. Ahern in February 2003: "Flat rate internet access will drive the information society, build demand for broadband and get this country online."

* "The Commission shall make use of its powers under the legislation as appropriate, to bring about agreements among market players in order to facilitate early introduction of retail dial-up internet access services charged at flat rates."

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Xian

I can't be the only one who finds it ironic for Praetorian to be the one to engage in damnatio memoriae :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Enough of the slagging now, ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DonegalMan

Yoda wrote:
    Friaco and broadband, however, were not introduced on his watch as Chairman of IrelandOffline.

For God's sake, Yoda, have you any idea how childish this sounds? No-one said FRIACO was "introduced on Damien's watch".

Damien is the fifth Chairman of IrelandOffline. Each of those Chairmen IMO, has brought different skills and approaches to the position and has regarded themselves as simply the front line person for a group of people working very hard to improve Internet access. The results achieved by IrelandOffline are a cumulation of the work done by the various Chairmen and the committees headed up by them - I have never heard any Chairman try to claim credit for any specific achievement.

I consider Damien's nomination to be a reflection of the work carried out in total by IrelandOffline including, but not restricted to, the particular strides made under his Chairmanship - it is an honour for the whole organisation, not just him personally.

Please stop trying to tarnish it with what comes across as petty point scoring.

Well said Martin.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,409 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Back on topic, one more vote submitted for Damien our fearless warrior :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

DonegalMan wrote:
    Damien is the fourth Chairman of IrelandOffline.
    Adam doesn't count, no?

/wonders who wants the giant spoon next... anyone? anyone?

• Advertisement

I was a puppet chairman oscarBravo. Damien was sitting behind me pulling the str....*bzzzzt^66***... I was completely in control during my chairmanship and made all my own decisions.

Sorry Damien. Do you think they noticed? Hey, where's my spoon?

Advertisement