Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Pierre bicycles - Opinions?

Options
  • 28-09-2005 7:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Was out in the Cycle Superstore a couple of weeks back and they had loads of "LaPierre" bikes at fairly good prices. They also seemed light for full sus bikes.

I haven't heard much about them apart from a few reviews in Outsider magazine which were quite positive.

Any opinions anyone?

D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭GP

Never heard of them. Probably brand name made specifically for them and made to sound "professional".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Darren_C

emmmm.... I don't think you're right there.

After a little more digging I've found that Nicolas Vouilloz started riding for them a few years back and designed most of their freeride/DH range which is what looks really good.

They're a French company: http://www.cycles-lapierre.fr
    The bikes look good and prices are reasonable, weight looks very light.

Anyone any more to add?

Cheers
    D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

I've seen a few of them out on the trails. They seem sturdy and well specced for the price - certainly on a par with any of the other major brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Cycle Superstore is the Irish distributor for La Pierre bikes (and possibly the only stockist). They certainly push the brand if you are shopping for a bike. [I've been in twice, once for a decent commuter bike, with a Raleigh in mind, came out with a La Pierre, second time for a road bike, possibly Trek, got another La Pierre].

My brother-in-law has the commuter bike and his happy with it.
    I'm very happy with the road bike.
    The sales guy told me that the Bontrager wheels on Trek bikes are not up to Irish roads (so dealers like selling the bikes because they know that they'll get future wheel replacement business). I don't know how valid that claim is.

I signed up for the Cycle Superstore Loyality card and got discounts of at least 5% on my purchases. There is no cost to enroll.

BTW, La Pierre are moving into the US market.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭mockerydawg

I know a guy who is having problems getting his La Pierre frame replaced. The shop won't take it back as they claim he rode it too hard (???). So be wary of this if you intend to thrash the bike. Other than that they seem very well specced bikes for lighter XC duties.
    There was fairly big hype when Vouilloz was helping with Dh and FR designs but I'm not too sure what happened there after. Personally I wouldn't buy one, but then I like to ride hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

I had one and found it great and very comfortable to ride, it then got nicked.

Le Francais de Jeux cycling team use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

I look at an MTB this way;

The componentry - straightforward to evaluate, you can check easily on the mtbr.com forum for user submitted reviews.

The frame - bit more difficult to evaluate, especially European manufacturers, as mtbr.com is US centric. If you can get technical specs. on the alloys used etc, it will help, in addition to obvious things like weight.

The build - you won't know until you've ridden it hard and long several times. Being able to take a test bike out for a weekend is very useful, but this is usually a privledge reserved for top-end buyers

The warranty - very important for MTBs. Specialized are the undeniable kings of warranty which is why you pay a little more. Again, check out the mtbr.com manufacturers forum for the good and bad. I too have heard very bad things about Cycle Superstore and their handling of LaPierre warranties. I don't know if its the retailer or the manufacturers fault, either way it sucks.

(And Brian if you're reading this, you were told you'd eventually get some bad press about this on the Internet and here it is. :eek: )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

I had a go on a LaPierre road bike in the cyclesuperstore recently and am tempted to go for it, its a full carbon model but its 2004 which is now almost 2yrs out of date.
    Does anyone with a clue think its good value?Link

Take a look at the Giant version. It is much lighter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Milo

The sales guy told me that the Bontrager wheels on Trek bikes are not up to Irish roads (so dealers like selling the bikes because they know that they'll get future wheel replacement business). I don't know how valid that claim is.

Don't mean to hi-jack this thread but you gotta be ****tin' me!!!! Bought a Trek 820 about a year and a bit ago and so far have had 3 new rear axels and 2 new rear wheels (the 2nd one I didn't pay for as I kicked up a bit of a fuss!) and also the bracket that holds the pedals broke! All in all have spent near on €200 replacing bits and all I do on the thing is cycle on the roads to work!!!!!

• Advertisement

That's what happens when you push cheap bikes hard!
    Bonty MTB wheels are solidly built if a little too light weight for aggressive buggers like me, not sure about the road wheels.
    If you are having troubles with wheels I'd reccommend a hand built pair from a proper bike shop. They do cost more but last much longer than cheap factory laced rims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭GP

Darren_C wrote:
    emmmm.... I don't think you're right there.

After a little more digging I've found that Nicolas Vouilloz started riding for them a few years back and designed most of their freeride/DH range which is what looks really good.

They're a French company: http://www.cycles-lapierre.fr
    The bikes look good and prices are reasonable, weight looks very light.

Anyone any more to add?

Cheers
    D

oops....ah well as they say, you learn something new ever day!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Take a look at the Giant version. It is much lighter.
    Sorry mockery, which model in particular were you referring to?

Advertisement