Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I paying too much for my (crappy) IBB service?? Please Advise..

• 28-09-2005 7:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

When I originally signed up with IBB about a year and a half ago, I had to get special VL gear as my house was not in a direct line of sight and the then standard equipment didn't work. Since then I've been paying €84 a month, initially for a 1mb 8:1 Contention Ratio and now 3mb 24:1 Contention Ratio.

Is the 5.4 Ghz VL gear now the standard, I think I've read this in a few places? If so I'd like to switch to the Breeze 2Mb package, it's not that much slower and about half the cost. Any info on this would be much appreciated.

To be honest IBB have been a total nightmare for me ever since that much delayed installation. When the product is working, it's fine, but whenever I have trouble (every couple of weeks recently) they are infuriating. About 3 weeks ago I was without service for over a week. When after numerous threatening calls they did come out and install new gear, it was only about a week before my speed went right down. For about 2 weeks I've been on about ISDN speeds. I've rung them about 4 times, and they've done nothing. One of the most irritating things about the company is that they NEVER call back. Literally in all the 20+ calls I've had to make to them, they ALWAYS promise they will get back in touch and it has NEVER happened. The only way to get anything done is to get quite aggressive, but I really don't like having to do this. The last time I spoke to them I told them I didn't exect to be billed for a full month when I had either no service, or a reduced one. Bill arived today, €84 as usual. Grr.

Apologies for that minor rant. If you guys could tell me if all IBB equipment is the VL stuff I have I would appreciate it. Then I will change to the 2mb Breeze service ASAP, it can't be any slower surely?

To be honest, I'm just waiting to see how this new METRO service works out, it looks good. Soon as its up and running and people are happy with it I'm jumping ship. IBB have got about €2000 of my money at this stage and given me precious little other than headaches and the distinct urge to kill. However it is Eircoms fault that I can only get Wireless BB, but that's another story:)

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

your being ripped off, ibb are a load of bollox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭blobert

Thanks, any info on the gear being used in the standard breeze package though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

I still have IBB but as soon as my new Broadband package arrives next week hopefully, it's good riddance to IBB thank God they are a nightmare,ive already sent in a letter cancelling the service because of it's appalling speeds,etc,i wouldn't recommend anyone getting IBB,brutal. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭tonkpills

Crap spiky pings, grumpy staff, crap speeds.... wat more can I say... I could probably write a book about them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

tonkpills wrote:
    Crap spiky pings, grumpy staff, crap speeds.... wat more can I say... I could probably write a book about them :)

2mb here with vl

you should downgrade to 2mb for sure you will prob stay on 3mb cos theyre too damn useless to change the setting.

• Advertisement

Thanks Guys:
    2mb here with vl

So am I right in saying that all the gear is now the vl stuff?

mostly yes there is still some old stuff out there but all new is vl afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

If your paying IBB anything your being ripped off....The message is getting trough slowley
    Maybe this will help

IBB ARE CRAPIBB ARE CRAPIBB ARE CRAP!!!!!

mostly yes there is still some old stuff out there but all new is vl afaik

Thanks, if this is the case, then hopefully i can convince them to let me change to the 2mb service. Anyone else done this?

I was told today that i need new equipment in my house cos the VL stuff is being phased out and they installed the WiMAX HW in cork and 3rock last weekend and as a result my connection has gone pretty bad. So 2 options.

1. Get turned to rte in the short term pending GIS test the get WiMAX equipment eventually or
    2. Wait the 2 month backlog for the new WiMAX equipment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement