Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied Math.

Options
  • 28-09-2005 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

I’m in sixth year, doing App. Math without any help from the teachers. I wondering what book app.math. book are you using?
    I have “Applied Mathematics” by Kevin Conliffe, Friary Publications. But I don’t really like that book, there are lots of errors and omissions in the book :mad: :mad: :mad: and there are just not enough questions.

So I’m looking forward for your recommendations.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Is that brown one? I think there's only one. Have you looked around to try and get grinds? You should be able to get them in the institute

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Paul_D

Funkstard wrote:
    Is that brown one? I think there's only one. Have you looked around to try and get grinds? You should be able to get them in the institute

no, i have blue one, may be different edition to yours.

grinds? the closest institute for me is WIT, why they should have this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

My one is "Fundamental Applied Mathematics" by Oliver Murphy, Folens.

Its a gold/brown kind of colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Funkstard wrote:
    Is that brown one?

Fundamental Applied Mathematics I think its called.

EDIT: Ach I'm getting slow in my old age...

Try getting that one Paul_d if you're so unhappy with your current book or maybe get grinds in the subject like Funkstard, although the Institute of Education may be a little far away from you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

I have "Fundamental Applied Mathematics" the one with the brown cover.

Poor you doing applied maths with no teacher, that must be tough going. I do it 2 x 45 mins classes a week, tuesday and thursday before school. Even with that it still takes hard work to get all of it done.

• Advertisement

I don't even know what Institute of Education is. Do you have to pay for grinds?

The best what I can do is to buy a new book. hope it wil help me a bit.
    Unfortunately i didn't study this subject in 5th year very enthusiastically, but now i have to spend all my free classes (14/week) for studying in order to finish by december/january.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

I've seen both and once you get 'Fundamental Applied Maths' you'll be a lot better off. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭RefulgentGnomon

appliedmaths.jpg

This is what 'Fundamental Applied Maths' by Oliver Murphy looks like. It's the only alternative i know of.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭cookiemonst3r

Get the brown one. I have both and i think the blue one is rubbish. But i dont think they print the brown one anymore. so you'll have to get it secondhand.

I bought the brown one just last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭cookiemonst3r

Funkstard wrote:
    I bought the brown one just last year
    New???

Yup, still have it in pristine condition (I did applied maths until Christmas of 5th year, it hasn't been touched since)

It's still available.

I've tried to find this book but no shops have this one. :(

I also ordered it from essons' web shop, but then salesman said that they are out of stock. :(

I found one in www.abebooks.co.uk, but they have only 1986 first edition, is it a right one?

The syllabus hasn't changed in 26 years so you may be OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

its all the same, i might have one 2nd hand if you're interested. i also might have some notes from the institute.

rugbug86 wrote:
    its all the same, i might have one 2nd hand if you're interested. i also might have some notes from the institute.

actually, few days later essons said that they found this book and sent it to me.
    BTW, where do you live?

they have only 1986 first edition, is it a right one?

Yep, it's the only one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭JCB

Hey, I have to pick two more topics in applied maths to cover the exam. Would anyone who is doing or has done applied maths be able to recommend the best/easiest one's to do from:
    - Statics
    - Circular Motion
    - Hydrostatics
    - Moments of Inertia
    They all look very confusing. Also, what topics or how many topics are you covering for the exam.

JCB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭shane0312

JCB wrote:
    Hey, I have to pick two more topics in applied maths to cover the exam. Would anyone who is doing or has done applied maths be able to recommend the best/easiest one's to do from:
    - Statics
    - Circular Motion
    - Hydrostatics
    - Moments of Inertia

Im in 6th year and Im doing them all except for moments of inertia because theres a good few proofs you have to learn and Id rather just learn the method. To be honest Id say your best bet would be to pick statics and hydrostatics. Once you know your formula for hydrostatics its generally easy and a lot of the statics questions are fairly similar, but really it depends on your own personal preference. Just make sure to do simple harmonic motion if you're doing circular motion because they sometimes come up together.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭JCB

Thanks for that! Those two do seem to be the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Hydrostatics has been extremely simple the past 2 years, so you might want to watch out for that question.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Birdie

I use the blue book by Kevin Conliffe and I can see why you wouldn't like it. It's ok for me because Kevins my teacher, but If I didn't know somthing by the end of the class and had to go over it myself it's so hard to understand!! He's a very good teacher all the same!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

would anyone know if there's a study aid for applied maths? like, rapid revision or less stress more success...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

Hey you guyz! Applied Math? Jeez, you guys enjoy school? What grade are y'all in? Gotta go prepare the turkey now with Momm and my half sister, happy thanksgiving you guys!

Advertisement