Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone experienced with Pioneer cdj 1000's?

• 28-09-2005 9:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭

Well I am starting to get back into the dj scene in a big way. I had decks for about 3 years but sold them a few years back. I will be making some new purchases in a few months and have decided i'll be going the cd route as the potential these offer for mixes is much greater than even your best vinyl decks imo. Now there will be a minimum of 2 of these bought. I will also be purchasing a 3rd deck but am undecided as to whether to get another cdj - 1000 or a top line vinyl deck like a pdx 2000 or a good ole 1210. I think the cdj's offer the best mixing potential but I was thinking of getting a vinyl deck for scratching + acapella mixing. From the reviews i've read I hear the cdj 1000 are the only cd deck that is capable of good scratching with a little adjustment in technique needed.

Yes I know the purists will cry at the mention of cd decks but i'm all for new technology if it's better than old. I think I will get a pdx 2000 as the 3rd deck simply for the easy availability of old records.

I mainly want peoples opinions on the cdj 1000's if you have used them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭smeggle

From the reviews i've read I hear the cdj 1000 are the only cd deck that is capable of good scratching with a little adjustment in technique needed.

They are - believe me I've used it and it's like WTF!! IT WORKS!!! :D

Will be getting a set myself soon along with an Allen & Heath mixer (Yummy!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

If making scratchy noises on cd's is your thing, then yes, the 1000's are the biz when it comes to digital cd technology (you could go one step further and get the DVJ-X1! ;) ).

I have a pair of 500's for 4 years now, as well as a pair of 1000's for 1 year, and I have to admit, the 500's actually perform a little bit better on the respose time. A perk of the 1000's is their use of what is akin to an internal hard drive - it scans an entire track into memory in about 25 seconds, and therefore, when played in realtime, is impervious to bouces and hops. But, the response from the jog wheel when mixing is slack, even annoying at times. On the 500's in comparison, its as real as it gets in response time.

IMO, I prefer the 500's in everyday jock use. The 1000's are really only of use if you intend on doing your own editing of tracks at home (with some of its extra functions), or plan to let a scratchy noise come through when in 'Vinyl' mode.

The 800's would fall into the same category as the 1000's, but tend to have a less than 100% Pioneer track record that you would expect (not dumping previous played track from memory when disc is ejected and new one inserted among other things).

But its your call, and its a great choice either way.

Seanie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

If making scratchy noises on cd's is your thing, then yes, the 1000's are the biz when it comes to digital cd technology (you could go one step further and get the DVJ-X1! )

I have no intentions of mixing video and no intentions of paying the price for those things. :D I'm not simply looking to make some scratchy noises either. I'm asking if this thing is capable of some proper scratching.
    I have a pair of 500's for 4 years now, as well as a pair of 1000's for 1 year, and I have to admit, the 500's actually perform a little bit better on the respose time. A perk of the 1000's is their use of what is akin to an internal hard drive - it scans an entire track into memory in about 25 seconds, and therefore, when played in realtime, is impervious to bouces and hops. But, the response from the jog wheel when mixing is slack, even annoying at times. On the 500's in comparison, its as real as it gets in response time.

Hmmm in not one of the reviews i've read have I heard anything about a delay. Are you sure this isn't similar to the slight delay you would get if you were using vinyl as it is in vinyl mode. If it is then I have no problems with that. Could anyone clarify what he's saying?

Thanks for the replies though. All input is welcome.

BloodBath wrote:
    Hmmm in not one of the reviews i've read have I heard anything about a delay. Are you sure this isn't similar to the slight delay you would get if you were using vinyl as it is in vinyl mode. If it is then I have no problems with that. Could anyone clarify what he's saying?

What I mean is that in CD mode, you will be turning the jog wheel on the 1000 MORE for reverse/forward 'drag' effect than on a 500. In vinyl mode on the 1000, well, that will just be down to how you adjust the sensitivity of the jog wheel to suit your taste - practice on that one will make perfect!

While I have 2 X 1000's (MK II's), I have felt this jog wheel discrepancy on 6 seperate 1000 players (just to make sure).

Seanie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

to be honest, cd decks are only better if you're not into music for the sake of collecting records....

i find it hard to get sentimental about a cd which even if taken care of and stored and looked after meticulously will lose its information in 20 years time through data rot

my record collection [spanning the 50's (jazz) to the 60's (soul) 70's (funk) 80's (hip hop) 90's (jungle) to the 21st century (drum and bass) will still sound fine as long as i dont treat it really badly.

see why vinyl is better?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭BACKLASH

Just got 2 cdj1000mk2's, initially didnt like them but getting used to
    them, its harder mixing/scratching at first cause you just don't get
    that tactile feeling that you do from records, still find it to fix a mix
    thats going out of time with records but i reckon will probably have
    totally switched to cd soon enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Eddie Brennan

id never totally switch. just couldnt do that

to be honest, cd decks are only better if you're not into music for the sake of collecting records....

i find it hard to get sentimental about a cd which even if taken care of and stored and looked after meticulously will lose its information in 20 years time through data rot

my record collection [spanning the 50's (jazz) to the 60's (soul) 70's (funk) 80's (hip hop) 90's (jungle) to the 21st century (drum and bass) will still sound fine as long as i dont treat it really badly.

see why vinyl is better?

That's not really a valid arguement as I will always have any music I have on cd backed up on my pc. In the event a cd gets damaged I burn a new one. In the event the hard-drive gets damaged I back everything from the cd's back onto a new hard-drive.

Thx for the info seanie, I will of course have a crack on them before I buy them. Anyone know any shops in the country where I can test them? I feel uncomfortable doing that though tbh. It's something i'd like to be on my own for a few hours with.

BloodBath wrote:
    Thx for the info seanie, I will of course have a crack on them before I buy them. Anyone know any shops in the country where I can test them? I feel uncomfortable doing that though tbh. It's something i'd like to be on my own for a few hours with.

You're welcome. And Aquarius in Leixlip will let you prick around with them all you want in the shop. What you should do is try to hire a pair for a weekend's gigging. Cost you, what, about 100 bucks for a weekend? Thats as good a demo as you're going to get before you make up your mind!

Seanie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Sound Hire in Ranelagh (near the LUAS station) will give you a pair + DJM-600 mixer flightcased for e70 rental - day and a half I think.

• Advertisement

Sweet, cheers Jimmy.

Advertisement