Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Falafels

Options
  • 28-09-2005 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭

Falafels are awesome (little balls of chickpea and parsley, cooked in oil)

I was more or less a falafelatarian when on holidays recently (it was Spain, the other food sucked), there's a chain called Maoz falafel which cook them up fresh in pitta bread and then you add your own dressings from a buffet style selection. Very yummy.

There's some good ones here "Florentin" that you can get in some of the health stores fridge sections, just stick them in the oven with some oil, eg sesame, then either put them in pitta or have them with salad or humous or something.

I think you can also get them in some of the kebab places around here but I wouldn't venture it..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭leftofcentre

'I think you can also get them in some of the kebab places around here but I wouldn't venture it..'

You sure can, some of the kebab shops in belfast do them. I think if the owners are north african or turkish they tend to go for them. The indian kebab shops go for bagji's

The kebab shop at the end of temple bar does them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

'I think you can also get them in some of the kebab places around here but I wouldn't venture it..'

You sure can, some of the kebab shops in belfast do them. I think if the owners are north african or turkish they tend to go for them. The indian kebab shops go for bagji's

The kebab shop at the end of temple bar does them.

Yeah.... I don't like their mystery meat kebab spindles much tho tbh..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

I'll have you know the falafels in most kebab shops in dublin are probably the safe option.

1 tin butterbeans
    1 tin chickpeas
    flatleaf parsley
    cumin (ground, if lazy)
    fresh corriander
    small onion, v.finely chopped
    gram flour ---> chickpea flour, buy in specialty shops
    strong white flour

Blend beans & chickpeas until smooth. Stir in finely chopped onion & herbs. Toast off 1 tablespoon of cumin seeds in a dry heavy bottomed pan until the smell rises. Grind. Alternatively, toast pre-ground cumin. Add to mixture. Mix with enough wheat flour and gram flour to bind. Fry very carefully in hot oil, as they may break apart.

Serve with fresh pitta and salad, roasted veg, and a blend of light tahini and natural yoghurt. Tzatziki is also mega with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

Marks & Spencers sell the falafels - you get around 8 in a packet in the refigrated deli section. Throw them in a pita with some tomatoes and red onion - YUM. Very handy for bringing to work for lunch too (although have some mints handy afterwards ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Misty Moon

Got some recently from the market in Ranelagh (held in the multi-denominational school on Sunday mornings). The woman who makes the best hummous ever was selling them. They were still warm when I got there and yum. She had them on offer of 3 for €2 - haven't had falafel for ages, is that expensive (I do think it was worth it, because they were great, just curious about price).

• Advertisement
Advertisement