Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband & Digital TV

• 28-09-2005 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, here's a query,

I've got 1 ethernet socket in my wall and i need to run broadband (not wireless) & digital tv (so two ethernet cables), is a router what i need?? If not what do i need??

Please excuse my ignorance, I know nothing about computers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

From your post it isn't clear what you are trying to do.

You can't run Digital TV over ethernet (well strictly speaking it is possible, but not in most cases). You can run the Coax before it enters the DigitalTV box or you can run av cables like a scart cable when it leaves the DigitalTV box.

First who is supplying your broadband service, second who is supplying your TV service. We might be able to help with more info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

bk wrote:
    From your post it isn't clear what you are trying to do.

You can't run Digital TV over ethernet (well strictly speaking it is possible, but not in most cases). You can run the Coax before it enters the DigitalTV box or you can run av cables like a scart cable when it leaves the DigitalTV box.

First who is supplying your broadband service, second who is supplying your TV service. We might be able to help with more info.

Apologies for the vagueness, the way my digital works is that an ethernet cable runs from my wall to a little AMINO box, then a scart from that goes to the tv, hey presto I've got digital.

Now i want to run broadband from that same connection on the wall and also Xbox live (later on), just wondering what equipment i need.

I'm with Smart by the way, for both services.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

In that case it sounds like you have one of those fancy Fibre To The Home (FTTH) setups. This is very unusual and I'm afriad I'm not familiar with this sort of setup. You might need to contact Smart to find out.

I assume there is an ethernet port on the AMINO box that then plugs into your PC to give you internet access?

If this is so and if you want to share this internet access with out PC's/Xbox, then what you need is a Broadband router. Any of the routers on this page will probably do:
    http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/Category.asp?catid=2&l=1&cnL1=NTL/Telewest&PcatIDL1=2

It might be a good idea to go for a wireless router, as they are only a little bit more expensive, yet give you more options and flexibilty.

If you are trying to get the Digital TV on a second TV and watch different channels from the first, well this mightn't actually be possible, it is one of the downsides of IPTV.

Advertisement