Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Figaro-OK for a first car ?

Options
  • 29-09-2005 8:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

I'm thinking of buying a Nissan Figaro as my first car, just wondering if anyone could tell me if it's not such a good idea ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Paul (MN)

summary: it's a nissan micra and overpriced and looks like a classic but isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I don't mean to sound sexist, but are you male or female. The reason I ask is my girlfreind thinks the Figaro is "cute". There was one of these for sale in a dealer around the corner from us and she had her eye on it. If you're male then you really don't want a figaro, believe me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Mimi73

I'm a girl...Yes, they are very cute !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Mimi73 wrote:
    I'm a girl...Yes, they are very cute !

Knew it :D

Go for it, they are a little expensive, but the do have a 1 litre turbo engine and one of the nicest interiors I've seen on a jap car.

Think I'll get it ! Thanks for the encouragement !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

They're a great wee car - robust Micra mechanicals, pseudo-retro looks and a roll-back roof. Depreciation is very low on these cars (assuming you don't get ripped off) because they are in high demand and not made any more. Combined with a 1.0l engine, and good economy they're very low cost to run.

I think they are automatic only, which mightn't be ideal if you are a provisionally licensed driver (if you get your full license with an auto, you are only licensed to drive autos. If you get it with a manual, you can drive either).

Make sure you get someone you trust to check the car over thoroughly before buying, even if it's from a dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Imo there stupidly priced for some unkown reason,even more so that gt starlets and glanzas.

There roughly 80bhp 1litre turbos but dont be suprised if people shout "noddy" when you drive by in one!For the price of one you could do far better,i also think reselling it would be hard aswell as trying to see your cash back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Wouldn't be my choice, but neither are the new mini and beetle, but they'll still attract buyers.

It'll become a bit of a cult car with a small loyal following.

To the OP:

1. Do you like the car?
    2. Can you afford the car?

If the answers to the above are yes, then go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

I spoke to someone recently that had one, he said that they are very over priced in ireland, and on the flip side that they are a bargain to import from japan.

eireal wrote:
    i also think reselling it would be hard aswell as trying to see your cash back.
    And yet it's hard to find one under €10,000? If they are 14 years old (and they all are) I reckon that the normal depreciation is done. What remains is the price that vendors can get for the car and the reason is demand. That demand may suddenly tail off but why now after 14 years?

There are two for sale in CBG. The one in Loughlinstown has been in and out of there for too long. There might be something wrong with it or he's using it himself. It does seem overpriced, but it only costs you what you lose on it. If I recall correctly, this one was advertised there last year for €10,500 so the price has increased.

I would agree that importing one from Japan might be the best course of action.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Paul (MN)

I would suggest that if it's rare, not made anymore, and cost the guts of €10k that it would not be suitable as a first car.

Unles you are loaded and can afford body/parts repairs. I presume it only shares mechanicals with the micra.

Paul (MN) wrote:
    I would suggest that if it's rare, not made anymore, and cost the guts of €10k that it would not be suitable as a first car.

Unles you are loaded and can afford body/parts repairs. I presume it only shares mechanicals with the micra.
    Strange argument this. My car is rare, not made anymore and cost the guts of €10k. I am not "loaded" and my car shares parts with no other car. The only reason my car might not be suitable as a first car is the insurance exclusion that prevents those under 25 insuring a classic. This exclusion does not apply to the Figaro (and may not apply to the OP)

Or do you reckon that a driver who is buying their first car is more likely to put a dent in the car? Possibly, but what a terribly defeatist reason for not buying something you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Lyre61

I think that if a car puts a smile on your face when you see it and you get a fuuny grin when you drive it, you should buy it........with all the traffic god knows you will spend a lot of time in it and you may as well enjoy it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

greglo23 wrote:
    I think that's probably the most helpful post I've ever read on Boards. Cheers Zaphod.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

you could also try importing one from Japan. these guys have a few http://tinyurl.com/cfbnh. the only price i could see was
    520,000.00 Japan Yen = 3,821.07 EUR

I saw one in traffic this morning. While I'm not a fan of retro styling, the thing is so kitsch as to be fun. It was a helluva lot more interesting that the sea of grey and black euroboxes that surrounded it.

Oh, and I don't buy the "you have to be gay to like it" if your male. Just because most gay guys are have some sense of style, doesn't mean that someone who has a sense of style is gay.

Going to go for it, just got loan approval and booked my test drive...
    thanks for all your replies !! :)

Will you let us know if it lives up to your expectations?

Will do !!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I love these little cars, came across one in Cork one day and spent a good ten minutes walking around it and checking out the details. Not mad about the colours, but I suppose if they came in “normal” colours the concept wouldn't have worked quite as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

A word of warning, insurance can be difficult on old, rare, jdm cars when you are starting out. I speak from experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭69 mustang

I think it was based on 1950 Cisitalia.
    Some swimmers are hard enough to get parts for( speaking from experience too]
    and that one could be a real night mare. Also what you pay out for may not be what the insurance companies will cover it for as it may only be worth a little more than Micra on paper, should anything happen to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Does anyone know what the book value is on these?
    Eg if you go and pay 10k for one and its crashed or robbed is there a chance your company will only pay out 1000e if your lucky?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 figaro

HI Mimi

Did you get your figaro?? its such a cool car i love driving it!!!!

No, haven't got it yet. On holidays, but hoping to get it when I get back. They're getting popular, there were 9 for sale on Carzone last week, now it's down to, I better hurry up !

Well take your time and dont rush into buying the first one you see. Make sure that you check the roof etc before buying. there is a great website called www.autosupplyuk.com/forums and they have all the info about the figaro do's and dont's when buying.

If you have any questions give me a shout!

Ps. i got a fig as my 1st car! and its fab!

Advertisement