Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oh God it's arrived

Options
  • 29-09-2005 9:44am

It's arrived and is on the kitchen table right now.

9.jpg

Agent Mothman-when you see this thread give me a call on the mobile number I provided to you.
    Agent sailor neighbour with his GPS and compass will be here this evening

This also arrived

Tries to resist head spinning into IKEA mode*

*this is a weather station not a nuclear bomb

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

LOL big boys and their toys.

I'm planning my next one :D:p

Be careful you're heading for sensory overload ;)

I have the little un(1 week old in 6 hrs time) atm, so give you call after he wakes up.

Well she's built :D

The console is beside me here-just finished tweeking it.
    I've more to do tomorrow and mothman is coming down.

Max wind gust recorded so far is 23mph from the south west
    Barometer falling fast too-currently 1013.3

Currently 10 min average windspeed is 13mph

I've to add the soil temp station tomorrow-but very pleased so far.
    The outside station is located a good few hundred metres from here in an exposed field.
    According to the GPS it's 162ft above sea level

Temp has been rising steadily in the last 2hrs also

Started out around 12.6 and is now 14.8!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

You lucky so and so :D

If i am correct that equip is the guts of a grand!! :D

Earthman wrote:
    Temp has been rising steadily in the last 2hrs also

Started out around 12.6 and is now 14.8!

It was probably your body heat giving false readings :D:p

• Advertisement

Rofl...
    currently 17c ( a degree behind yourself)

humidity 89%
    Barometer 1011.7 dewpoint 16c
    If i am correct that equip is the guts of a grand!!
    It's way more than a grand weathercheck when you include the Ground temp weatherstation(which I'm connecting later today) and I got the UK VAT taken off of it.

Mothman,I'm free from about 1130 am or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Con, you'd better quit all other duties right now, cos you're going to be posting stats from now 'till hell freezes over are'nt you!? :D

Mike.

hehe

I seem to be consistently a whole degree colder than mothman here-that much I can gaurantee-Goood for the difference between rain and snow later in the winter maybe :D

Thanks by the way to mothman for coming down.

I'm a mean so and so-he didnt get the tea :D

I thought it was hilarious when we were running in from a heavy rain shower with the console having been out at the station...
    I was soaking, the rain rate was 10.1mm per hr and scrolling across the bottom of the console was " It's raining cats and dogs " :D

14.1c at the moment by the way
    dewpoint 11c
    Wind west-6mph
    Barometer 1010.7 mb steady
    humidity 82%

High wind speed 26 mph at 1206

High temp 19.2 c at 1213

Your time for max temp was before we corrected the time ;) so is probably fairly close to mine.

Earthman's 2m windspeed is the same or if anything stronger than my 10m speed :(

He has a grand exposure, though the 2m wind would be a bit sheltered from northerly directions.

Mothman wrote:
    Your time for max temp was before we corrected the time ;) so is probably fairly close to mine.
    Hey now-You got to 22!
    Earthman's 2m windspeed is the same or if anything stronger than my 10m speed :(

He has a grand exposure, though the 2m wind would be a bit sheltered from northerly directions.
    Yeah thats a bit of a minus alright I'll see what happens.It's got every other direction exposed though even north East and probably a bit of Northwest.

The indoor temp is behaving itself now and the light is permanently on.I've put the console on the mantlepiece just beside the desk with the aerial horizontal and its getting a constant 18-21 signal which is just about enough.
    The packet reliability is now up to 85% and it hasnt missed any packets at all

Temp 10.7,hum 73%,dewpoint 6c,wind wsw at 5mph(there are now a couple of light arrows indicating a bit of turnover in wind direction) and the barometer is rising slowly @1012.2

( I feel all nerdy :D )

• Advertisement

Earthman wrote:
    Hey now-You got to 22!

Well I was meaning the time, not the temp. The missus was giving the little un (1 week old :D ) a bit of fresh air during the sunny 22C, and had to come in when that brief spell "cats & dogs" ;) arrived.

The indoor temp is behaving itself now and the light is permanently on.I've put the console on the mantlepiece just beside the desk with the aerial horizontal and its getting a constant 18-21 signal which is just about enough.
    The packet reliability is now up to 85% and it hasnt missed any packets at all

Temp 10.7,hum 73%,dewpoint 6c,wind wsw at 5mph(there are now a couple of light arrows indicating a bit of turnover in wind direction) and the barometer is rising slowly @1012.2

It seems to be behaving itself a bit more now

( I feel all nerdy :D )

Join the club, I seem to go through a lot of anoraks :p:D

BTW I have my console attached to a wall. There are a couple of screw slots in the back.

Well just to update you on this.

I had a look around for software to put up a website.
    Theres two that I like.
    The one I'm using at the moment is a 30 day fee trial from ambient called "virtual weather station"
    It takes the information from the Datalogger and renders it into the website I set up.

The only problem is it has a bug which every now and then creates a phantom temperature of -17.8 c.

That mucks up the outside temperature graph but doesnt effect the actual live temperature except very rarely when the programme jpeg upload coincides with the split second spike to -17c.
    I've only seen that happen once so far.

I've reported the bug problem to ambient, and if its not fixed,then after the 30 day trial is up I'll go for the "weather display live" and mesomap live" programmes.

www.arklowweather.com is the site Comments welcome :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

broadcast.jpg

Oooh! Me likes! :)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

That nice, are you sure the -17.8 isnt coming from station itself?, can you check the temperatures manually before its outputed to the software?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Aha !! it is the software !! (maybe)

http://www.ambientweather.com/versionhistory.html

August 24, 2005, Version 12.07p52

* Fixed problem with 0.0 degF (-17.8 degC) if data is not available from certain stations. If the temperature is exactly 0, it uses the previous temperature.
    * Fixed problem with Thunderstorm icon and data for 5-day forecast.

Get this and yer sorted!!
    Needs to figure out why the data isnt available though - station to far..not have line of sight or smth ?

Edit:
    Looking at the site, it appears there is info from the other instruments reaching the base station ..eg wind speed does change pretty much every update as does direction and pressure.
    Thus the base station is communicating well it would appear with everything bar the temperature probe..the -17.8 is a manifestation of no data received..thus the temp gauge is too heavily shielded behind something..its batteries are low..or its faulty.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

yeah the communication is grand 0 packet loss and reliability between 86 and 99%
    thus the temp gauge is too heavily shielded behind something..its batteries are low..or its faulty.
    The quirky temperature is only in that ambient programme.
    The weatherlink software doesnt do that at all.When I'm running that, the log is consistent with no anomolies.

The console does not show this -17.8 c either and its here on the desk in front of me.

Pity because I like the graphics on that site as opposed to the more bland "weather display live" which looks like this

Aha!

I see I can d/l a trial version of weather display and the flash weather display live

I'm tempted to wait though untill the trial on ambiance runs out

ponders...

Conditions at
    22:49 on 6/10/05
    Temperature
    -17.8°C

:eek: :eek: :eek:

You'll have Weathercheck banging down your door soon!! :D;):p

Conditions at
    Temperature
    -17.8°C
    Dew Point 11.3°C
    Humidity 0%
    Heat Index 16.2°C

A lot of it doesn't really make sense, I think your ponder is over...

Mothman wrote:
    Conditions at
    Temperature
    -17.8°C

:eek: :eek: :eek:

You'll have Weathercheck banging down your door soon!! :D;):p

LoL

I know

*shivers*

%20%20Boston%20Blizzard.jpg

• Advertisement

I've ran some extensive tests this evening and I've now concluded that the -17c is as a result of signal drop outs.

This means I am on the phone tomorrow to order a repeater.

Theres a disused telephone poll outside the back door here with an unobstructed line of sight and a 45 signal on the console.
    I would presume that this is strong enough to repeat without any drop outs.
    From there it only has to go a further 5 metres or less but through 2 walls.

Currently it's travelling about 250-300 metres through a hedge and a grove and those walls-so I guess thats asking a bit much.

The signal max on the counter is 59 and in here as it is,I get a 27 or 28 most of the time with some 19's and 17's and some drop outs.
    What I need is the constant 45 signal up that phone pole and a strong repeater signal in here of similar quality,which should be achievable at 5 metres and just 2 walls.

I'll be ordering the solar powered repeater tomorrow so theres going to be no improvements untill the middle of next week.

In the meantime - enjoy the occasional shivers we are supposedly having down here :D

I got the repeater today and at the top of the pole the signal is excelent.

Unfortunately I discovered the firmware in the VP2 console is january 2005 and ergo the repeater wont work with this console

I now have to buy a firmware update-imagine that :rolleyes:

On a positive note I got the weatherlink software to up load a temporary webpage-clicky on my signature for to see that-it's updating every 5 minutes now I think.
    Weatherlink does do anomolies like that virtual weather station programme.

The signal strength is actually quite good tonight and I'm told by Davis that I can get a serial extension cable up to 48 ft which would be fine for to put the console out where it would get a 35/60 + signal anyway... of course I wasnt told this by the dealership in the UK :rolleyes:

Anyways-I'll eventually get this right.

Earthman wrote:
    I got the repeater today and at the top of the pole the signal is excelent.

Unfortunately I discovered the firmware in the VP2 console is january 2005 and ergo the repeater wont work with this console

I now have to buy a firmware update-imagine that :rolleyes:

B******* to that. The repeater you got today won't work for console you got 2 weeks back?? :confused: The firmware update doesn't come cheap.

If this is really the case, your supplier, who I'd consider reputable has something to answer for.

I agree.
    I rang Davis and they said likewise.
    I'll be ringing the supplier tomorrow

Davis said that under the circumstances they should loan me the updater(post it out) so as I can do the update myself and send it back then.
    This should be at no cost to me.

Pretty darn annoying though :mad:

Try contacting the main UK importer or email contact the guy (Steve Rogers)

Should be quicker than coming from US, but then maybe not.... :rolleyes:

I'll see what the people that sold it say first-the guy from Davis did mention mcmurroughs allright and said they would sort it had I been a customer of theirs.

Western marine in Dalkey are agents for Davis :eek:

I didnt know that-many is the time I've been in that shop.

Earthman wrote:
    I'll see what the people that sold it say first-the guy from Davis did mention mcmurroughs allright and said they would sort it had I been a customer of theirs.

Western marine in Dalkey are agents for Davis :eek:

I didnt know that-many is the time I've been in that shop.

You don't generally deal with Mcmurdo direct as they are the UK distributer, but I still think they'd be interested (I hope) in knowing and sorting you out.

First I've heard of an agent in Ireland, and yes I know Western Marine as well :rolleyes:

Ok
    They apoligised for this and are sending over the updater to me.
    They say it will take 10 minutes for me to update the firm ware and then I've to send it back to them by insured registered post.

That means I should be in business by the end of the week.

The new firmware solved an issue whereby the console was getting confused as to whether it should read the weaker iss signal or the repeater signal.
    Currently it can't read the repeater signal as thats set to something only readable by the new firmware.

In other news,I've got the site sorted now with the weatherlink software though thats only an interim solution.I prefer the other options and would actually ideally like to use the VWS or the flash weatherdisplay programme.

I'm going to trick around with a trial version of the latter now for an hour or two and see what it puts out.

So the weather here will remain the same untill 8 or 9 pm or so :p

p.s its raining now-even though the barometer is set at 1023.7

Managed to get a web page up using the weather display programme

It's up now and comments are welcome :)

However :D:D :eek: :eek:

We've moved from a situation of phantom temperature change to phantom flash floods :p

Apparently theres been 35.4 mm in 45 minutes this evening here-It's a wonder the roof hasnt caved in :D

(It's a setting somewhere ,this I know as yesterday there was 574mm of rain-an extremely wet day and I managed to reset this to zero...)

Theres a lot of tweeking to be done with what goes up from WD on the web page-I'shall play with it for a while and see what happens!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I was wondering Earthman you don't want to send me out one of these
    weather station to ensure i don't deal out false readings this winter,
    do you?? :D:D:p

Advertisement