Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First time Insurance?

Options
  • 29-09-2005 11:02am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've just bought my first car at the ripe old age of 34 and I am learning to drive so it's early days for me but I've rung a few insurance companies and couldn't get a quote for various reasons.
    First problem - No quote for first time insurance (provisional licence)
    Second problem - No quote because the car is more than 10 years old (94).

So my question is does anyone know what insurers will offer me a quote under these circumstances? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

FBD all the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

blahblah06 wrote:
    FBD all the way

No chance man, from other thread where I was talking about mate crashing and so on....when he was getting insurance I told him to ring FBD....they laughed at him....told him to get license and 5 years later ring them and they might quote!! :D ....they dont do provisional licenses......only option really is Quinn for new drivers but there policies are sh*t!! but better than no insurance!!

Tip: dont hit anyone ;)

Nelly mate i think your wrong.. i am insured for a provo with FBD.. Insurance renewal is this month actually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

blahblah06 wrote:
    Nelly mate i think your wrong.. i am insured for a provo with FBD.. Insurance renewal is this month actually

I was as well but this was through a company insurance policy which I jumped onto the back of......since they insured me since I was 16 they allowed me to sign my personal policy without any problems....alot of people I have talked to have been turned down by FBD because of differnet reasons.....they usually just go for a large policy including car, land, business and so on!! dont really bother with the small one person car insurance policy claims

Are you a named driver on a car or how you get policy? mate is changing his insurance and wants to join FBD, has full license(different fellow from above quote) and doesnt think he will get in with FBD.......

If you can I would recommend FBD all the time....best policy.....no extra for living in Dublin and so on......also no problems with claims or anything like the crap you get with Quinn!!

Pmed

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Got a quote from Quinn Direct - €1700. I have a feeling it won't get any better. Thanks anyway guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

From a mate in an insurance company when I was phoning him I mentioned this.

"Christ no, we don't want to see someone who hasn't driven before 30". "He is going to find that difficult to get his 1st quote and they will probably bend him over the table too"

Breaking it down it's like this. After 30 you find it harder to learn apperently therefore by the wisdom of insurers your high risk like an 18 year old.

You can't win can you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭sandyg

You could try quotline (0818 22 33 44) or www.quoteline.ie.

I was 32 when i first got my provisional (€1,000) on the brand new car (1.1) with them. Got my test and it came down to nearly half that. They shop around for you. I tried all the insurance co's and they were the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

sandyg wrote:
    You could try quotline (0818 22 33 44) or www.quoteline.ie.

I was 32 when i first got my provisional (€1,000) on the brand new car (1.1) with them. Got my test and it came down to nearly half that. They shop around for you. I tried all the insurance co's and they were the best.

Just used that site:
    It gave me a quote for the car I am thinking of buying at ~ €1260.
    My broker quoted me ~€850 on the same car!

Advertisement