Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not so hot radiators

Options
  • 29-09-2005 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭

I've noticed of late that my radiators are a bit hit and miss on the heat stakes. Some of them are blistering while others are barely warm, especially the double rads. I've tried bleeding them, but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right (open the valve until water squirts out???). This hasn't had any effect. There are also thermostats on each radiator and they are all set to the same, but they don't seem to do anything.

Has anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭beldin

Yes that is how you bleed them but they need to be balanced as well.
    On each radiator there are 2 valves . With yours one is the thermostat. The other controls the flow of water through the radiator. The trick is to balance the radiators so that you get an even amount of heat through them all.
    Close off the hot ones say half a turn and open the ones slightly on the lukewarm radiators.
    See if that makes a difference.
    Also note this can be done with the hot water cylinder as well if that is getting too hot. There are valves on that as well..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Thanks guys - I'll give that a go over the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 modbhcci

Is replacing a rad easy?

I was advised by plumber that this is what I need to do heat a room properly. He never came back to me with a price so I think I'll take it on myself. Hopefully, I'll get a drop in replacement.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I had a rad replaced recently. I got a double panel rad where there had been a single panel. The plumber who did the job had to go for the same make so that the sizes of the pipes coming from the ground were the same, although he did have to bend them out a bit to fit the extra width. He didn't have to drain the system to do the job ethier which made it easier.

If you find out what make of rad you have, you should be able to go on to there website and download the rad specs, such as all the sizes and there respective heat outputs. The make of my rads where 'Myson'. Other makes could be Stelrad or Barlo. A good supplier as well would be Heat Merchants.

http://www.heatmerchants.ie/servlet/reality/rscp/IN.NEWSESITMBP1

• Advertisement
Advertisement