Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

esat are not alone !

Options
  • 09-09-2001 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭

colt telecom is hoping to release an adsl product here in the republic, they are negotiating with eircom, like esat !

http://www.colt-telecom.ie

click on products, then dsl:
    COLT Ireland is currently in negotiations with Eircom and the ODTR with a view to providing DSL services in Ireland !!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

While I would love to be positive, I'm sure Eircom will continue to stall the rollout of ADSL as they have in the past. I sometimes wonder whether the unions really want Ireland to lag behind the UK, as has been suggested to me a few times (if this is true, it can't be in their long-term interest, right)? On a brighter note, It's probably a good thing that it isn't just Esat who want to make ADSL available in the Republic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Gladiator

we allways new that there would be afew isp waiting in the wings, this is why its so important to have wholesale prices decided before launch of eircoms own adsl service,
    if the prices are fair, which the odtr seesm to be forceing eircon to do, then i predict serveral isp setting up adsl here and then taking advantage of llu when it comes around. allso i have to wonder will eircom charge per mb the isp on their bitstream service or per bandwidth, ie you rent a say 2mb/s pipe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Originally posted by Gladiator
    if the prices are fair, which the odtr seesm to be forceing eircon to do, then i predict serveral isp setting up adsl here and then taking advantage of llu when it comes around.

I wish I could be as positive as you. ;)

I, for one, believe that ADSL will be available ONLY in Dublin in the near future, and that Eircom will try and roll it out as slowly as possible across the country. Also, I don't have much faith in the price -- I'm sure it will cost something like IR£60 or more, thus making it too expensive for the casual Internet user. This of course will mean that there won't be many users, so Eircom will start talking about "economies of scale" being the reason for the high price. We'll see...

hmm nothing stoping the price comeing down once competition hits, which it eventually wil lin about 4 years time. maybe sooner,
    even without real competition theres nothing stoping the odtr droping the prices if the new goverment got fully behind the internet here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

if you are a casual user , and spend under 20 pounds a month online that should be fine for u , a heavy internet user as i am would be more than willing to pay 60 pounds for always on net at that speed , that may make me and a lot of more ppl fools but it may be what we will have to live with

however if it was in excess of 80 to 100 pounds i would have a hard seriosu think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Gladiator
    hmm nothing stoping the price comeing down once competition hits, which it eventually wil lin about 4 years time. maybe sooner

hmm, i can't see eircom having a price of 60 or over for a basic package, I mean, Esat and now Colt are 2 ISP's that are trying their best to offer their own dsl here, and then there's UTV internet .. etc

Colt are'nt exactly the same as Esat or UTV, they are an huge international company looking to 'expand' into ireland, I can't see them being pushed around by Eircom.

Won't this competition dramtically drop the price for dsl here in a very short period of time ?

hmm interesting, this is quiet good, kinda like Aol in england getting bt by the balls and eventually lead to there downfall.

allso colt have their own pan european netwrok meaning bandwidth caps wouldnt be a problem. to be honus im mroe excited about the wholesale product then the eircom one, cause i know theres a less then 1 in 9 chance ill get it even if it was available to me

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭infomat

Originally posted by Urban Weigl

I, for one, believe that ADSL will be available ONLY in Dublin in the near future,

Eircom have said that ADSL will only be available in Dublin to begin with.

Also as the market is so small I would be surprised if we see many players in the Irish market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 disConnected

Originally posted by Urban Weigl

I, for one, believe that ADSL will be available ONLY in Dublin in the near future...

I have requested Eircom to send me out more info on their ADSL offering and I also asked them about timing to bring this service to areas outside Dublin (in my case, esp. Moate).
    I'll post their reply once I get it....
    Hopefully it will be more precise than the info on their web-site.

Advertisement