Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning to get BB + VoIP. Your opinion.

• 29-09-2005 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi all,

Here is the deal, I'm planing to get BB and phone at home. I live on Temple Bar so I'll say all providers should be quite good for me. Maybe the contention ratio will cause problems on the City Center, don't know. I do have NTL TV right now and I don't have any land line (but the instalation is there as the previous tenant had it).

I've been reading a lot on the forums and doing some other researching. After all I think that probably the best choice will be NTL BB plus VoIP (either Blueface or Broadtalk).

PROS:Is probably the cheapest (35 inlcuding BB and phone as on VoIP you can do Pay As You Go), contention Ratio is the lowest (17:1) at a reasonable price, and service seems to be good. Free Installation and first 3 months for BB.

CONS:30GB Cap size(I've read they are quite strict, so I guess I will need to learn to live whithout Torrents), 12 month contract with NTL (so if service turns out to be no good you are tied up), 60 -130Eur for VoIP equipment

Has anyone any advice/comments on this?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Fawkes wrote:
    CONS:30GB Cap size(I've read they are quite strict, so I guess I will need to learn to live whithout Torrents), 12 month contract with NTL (so if service turns out to be no good you are tied up), 60 -130Eur for VoIP equipment

Quiet the opposite, NTL are one of the least strict companies and have the most generous cap. NTL have only ever phoned a few people who went consistently way over the cap and only asked them to keep down their usage for the benefit of all the other customers, pretty fair IMHO.

Other companies automatically charge you or cut you off after you go over thier much lower cap.

I have NTL, they are excellent, far better then the DSL I had in the past.

BTW I'd get a wireless router with VoIP and telephone ports built in, that way you can kill two birds with one stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Fawkes

Well, that sounds just excellent!!!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If you read the what is your VoIP setup? thread in the VoIP forum you'll see a few users use NTL+VoIP without issues :)

Also on the subject of torrents, if you use Azuereus as your client you'll find the AutoSpeed plugin very handy indeed....

Cabaal wrote:
    If you read the what is your VoIP setup? thread in the VoIP forum you'll see a few users use NTL+VoIP without issues :)

Thanks Cabaal, I've already read that. Actually, it was one of the reasons why I decided for NTL BB. I just did this new post here to get some extra feedback about the NTL BB

I'm starting to get a bit nervous about getting everything up and ready and play a bit. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

I just got connected on Monday with NTL BB. I love it.
    Got the wireless router with phone ports (125 Euro) from blueface, plugged this into cable modem. Then plugged existing phone into router, and could make great quality calls. Wireless laptop always has excellent connection. Will be disconnecting my Eircom line and signing up for one of the blueface monthly options I reckon (and porting new number over).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I live in Temple Bar. Have NTL BB with VOIP from Blueface. I would recommend it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭UberNewb

I have NTL + Blueface here in Lucan working perfectly! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

UberNewb wrote:
    I have NTL + Blueface here in Lucan working perfectly! :D

me too !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

This is your solution:

Choose a good ISP. BT, Metro and Clearwire seem to be the most reliable and best value. NTL could be handy for you though.
    Download Skype www.skype.com - sign up to skype out.
    Get a bluetooth headset from Maplin (€55) or a 3.5mm headset from Argos (€20).

problem solved.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

sturgo wrote:
    This is your solution:

Choose a good ISP. BT, Metro and Clearwire seem to be the most reliable and best value. NTL could be handy for you though.
    Download Skype www.skype.com - sign up to skype out.
    Get a bluetooth headset from maplin (€55).

problem solved.

Thats fine if you want to leave your PC on all the time while you make calls and if you don't want to have the ability for incoming calls...depending on package you get.

However if you want a PSTN replacement Broadtalk or Blueface (aka proper VoIP companys) offer ATA's or IP-Phones that can connect directly to your router or switch so you don't have to leave your pc on all the time.

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote:
    However if you want a PSTN replacement Broadtalk or Blueface (aka proper VoIP companys) offer ATA's or IP-Phones that can connect directly to your router or switch so you don't have to leave your pc on all the time.

Yes, basically Skype is fine but for chating with friends. Is not a proper VoIP service(yet), for example doesn't allow emergency calling or other services.

Also,a friend is doing some project with CISCO at the moment and seems that CISCO has recomended him Blueface (for both bussiens and home use). CISCO people can't be wrong, cand they?

So I think I've taken my decision and I'm going to get them (NTL and Blueface).

Now I only have one question left. For the NTL package, will be the starter enought (1000kb down,100Kb up,16GB Cap) or should I get the next one (2000Kb Down, 200Kb up,30Gb Cap)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Fawkes wrote:
    Now I only have one question left. For the NTL package, will be the starter enought (1000kb down,100Kb up,16GB Cap) or should I get the next one (2000Kb Down, 200Kb up,30Gb Cap)?

If you only need VOIP and no downloads other than that (plus you not on the blower 27/7) 1mb is grand.

If your a gamer and like your torrents or mp3 downloads go for the 3mb (full fat downloading).

2mb is a happy medium between them all.

VOIP does not use too much bandwidth..........imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I think SIP uses 87.5kbps so 100k will work but 200 would be safer if you are doing anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭UberNewb

paulm17781 wrote:
    I think SIP uses 87.5kbps so 100k will work but 200 would be safer if you are doing anything else.

Here's the Voice options on my Linksys router,

voip.JPG

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Fawkes wrote:

The 1m product should be fine, if it isn't enough, then you can upgrade with just one phone call to NTL, they are very flexible about this.

BTW NTL will give you the 3m free for the first 3 months. even if you order the 1m product. Their are jsut liek drug dealers, they want ot get you hooked on the good stuff :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭dam099

sturgo wrote:
    This is your solution:

I think it is a bit early to say how reliable Metro or Clearwire are yet, they are too new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Sgtshaft

Cabaal wrote:
    Also on the subject of torrents, if you use Azuereus as your client you'll find the AutoSpeed plugin very handy indeed....

Thanks for the plugin info its working a treat :D on a really slow torrent that has been driving me insane.

Advertisement