Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ren & Stimpy on DVD

• 29-09-2005 12:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

Stumbled across the Complete Series 1 & 2 on DVD (region 1) on CD Wow and decided to purchase. Am I right in thinking it was only these two series' that John Kricfalusi was involved in (before the "unpleasantness") and therefore the ones to have?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭direbadger

Haven't a clue dude. That was a weird old show though. The episodes with the Scotsman character jumped fully-formed into my head recently after years of not thinking about them. I want to forget! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

blastman wrote:
    Stumbled across the Complete Series 1 & 2 on DVD (region 1) on CD Wow and decided to purchase. Am I right in thinking it was only these two series' that John Kricfalusi was involved in (before the "unpleasantness") and therefore the ones to have?
    According to good ol' Wikipedia:

(..when in doubt, always use it!)
    Ren and Stimpy was written, directed, and produced by Kricfalusi and his animation studio Spümcø only in the first two seasons. During this time, he was constantly harassed by Nickelodeon over content issues, of which he often pushed the limits. The last straw, so to speak, was the episode entitled "Man's Best Friend," in which Ren and Stimpy are bought by George Liquor and put through a cruel and unusual training session, which ends with Ren bludgeoning George. The brutal violence, murder, and the overall theme of animal cruelty in the episode were deemed unairable by Nick.

Kricfalusi was soon fired from the show, and his ownership of the characters was revoked. Billy West took over his role as the voice of Ren. Animation duty was taken from Spümcø and given to Games Animation. Many fans felt the quality of the show suffered greatly from the loss of its creator and original animation studio, though others still enjoyed the show regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Thanks basquille, that's what I thought I read somewhere in the past. Cool, excessively mindless violence is on its way, then!

More information, if anyone's interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Yeah, first and second seasons are by Spümcø, they're the one's you want.

The only bad things about the DVD are that it's hardly uncut, despite stating it on the box, and the weird blackouts, where the episode fades out for no apperant reason and returns to the same scene.

Seasons three to five have also been released between two boxsets. While season three is still worth a watch (Nickeldeon used some of the scripts from the fired Spümcø team), you can see the quality waning. Adult Party Cartoon is also planned for DVD release, and there's even talk of an "ultimate" box set containing all seasons and extra stuff. Hopefully it'll be uncut the second time round...

Advertisement