Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best live bands?

• 29-09-2005 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Who do you all think would be the best live bands around at the mo? :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

oasis

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

eoinf wrote:
    oasis
    nice gag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Muse
    Interpol

They're unbelieveable live.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

Oasis are by far the best live band I've ever heard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

So you've only been to see the one band live then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭Redegg

Dave wrote:
    Muse
    Interpol

They're unbelieveable live.

he said it.. id also add the arcade fire... my three favourite gigs of all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I'm gonna get slated for this, but I dont care.
    The Sawdoctors :D
    Consistently a great live show.

Feeder were good this year, Oasis were too.. probably the best live I've ever seen them.
    I hope Jet come back this way soon - they were fantastic live.
    Phonics put on a great show at the point also.
    Have to agree with Interpol also.
    Oh, and if you were in the pit at Croker (like me), U2 wasnt that bad ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Citizen Jake

R.E.M. , someone had to say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭lizzyrock

To see that nobody has said Led Zeppelin or Smashing Pumpkins is shocking. Both band full of talented musicians. They can both brutalise you live. I've seen neither unfortunately but hey Pumpkins are coming back. Great stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭redmosquito

Pearl Jam, no need for massive flashy stages or anything, just solid 2 1/2 to 3 hour shows with multiple encores with an ever changing set list, no boring set routine with maybe one or two alterations each night like most bands, PJ's set list is changed every night

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Sleater-Kinney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Best I've seen would be Sigor Ros, Air, Arcade Fire and Muse. Moby was up there as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Sweetness!

The Prodigy, I cant wait to see them again in November and
    Jimmy Eat World are always amazing live!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

lizzyrock wrote:
    To see that nobody has said Led Zeppelin or Smashing Pumpkins is shocking. Both band full of talented musicians. They can both brutalise you live. I've seen neither unfortunately but hey Pumpkins are coming back. Great stuff!
    The question asks whos the best around at the moment lizzy.Pumpkins are no more my friend and the Zeppelin havent put on a fantastic show in quite a while now.
    Jeekers you come in here and get smarmy and shocked for no reason whatsoever.You should take a long hard look at yourself buddy.
    Anyway the answer is obviously Muse as stated already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭spiderlegs

Yeah muse are pretty damn good.Saw them at oxegen. I love seeing rod y gab together.They're amazing and who else....and Pixies!! Ok technically they're not out at the moment but they played here the last two years adn both times were positivly splendiforous!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Oak.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭JMArr

Muse are good live admittedly but way too OTT ..Matt Bellamy gets waaay to hysterical for my liking with all his falsetto screeching. AAAAAAAAAAIIIEEEEEEEE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

Best ever live band not around would be KISS - there is no other show that can match what they do but for the best live band around I would probably say Iron Maiden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

the eels but on one of the best shows i've ever seen...
    belle and sebastian would be second...

Metallica
    the beta band
    orbital
    redneck manifesto

:):):):):):):):):):):):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

redkneck manifesto are very good live. saw them in a drunken haze at the last witnness , amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭Rcuomo

oasis were great live, back in '95 at the point, but they were terrible at landsdowne rd a few years back, but then they were really good at witness if i remember rightly...
    weezer were the best live band ive seen in a long time last month at the point...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

damien rice, but before anyone beats me to death he is so class live! I've been to see him maybe 8-9 times and he has been amazing everytime....it makes you appreciate the music more. I don't think you fall in love with Damien Rice without seeing him live.

Also, Stars were brilliant live as was Devendra Banhart

Turn are great for a bit a fun too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 rose of jericho

Frank Black of course in any form whether it is with The Pixies, The Catholics or on his own it doesn't matter he is the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭Ooly

U2 in croker were AMAZING

Interpol, Hal, Pixies & Red Hot Chili Peppers are pretty cool live also!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

Les Georges Leningrad are the best I've ever seen but I haven't been to many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Sorchie

Green Day and the kaiser chiefs are supposed to be deadly live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

two words

Biffy Clyro

i don't need to say more, if you've seen them you'll know what i'm talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

Cremo wrote:
    i don't need to say more, if you've seen them you'll know what i'm talking about.

Right, I haven't, but I presume it's about how good they are live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

goo wrote:
    Right, I haven't, but I presume it's about how good they are live.
    well put it this way, i've been to about 20 concerts (4 of them have been of biffy) (5th time in december :D)

they never put on the same show twice, it's difference every time, they put so much energy into playing live and for the lucky few who live in glasgow get to see them play their last show of the year where they do something special (last year it was a b-side/rarities gig, this year they are playing their new album in full). they live by the motto "when you start to repeat stuff in your music it's time to stop making music

they are tour-a-holic's they've played 5 shows in ireland this year already (dublin, belfast, derry, cork, limerick) and pencilled in another 4 for december (dublin, belfast, galway, limerick).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,989 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Radiohead, unbelieveable show in The Point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭technobob

the kills
    super furries are always great live
    kings of leon
    interpol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Closing Doors

I second whoever said Damien Rice, the man is a genius. He never plays the same show twice...by virtue of the fact he never uses setlists, he just plays whatever the f*ck he feels like or whatever the crowd requests. Incredible :cool:

Stereophonics put on a great show in the Point last month, and Rodrigo y Gabriela definately deserve a mention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Pitseleh

Giblet wrote:
    Radiohead, unbelieveable show in The Point.

Are you talking about the first or second night last December (I think)? I was there the first night, didn't think it was partickly exceptional.
    Sorchie wrote:
    Green Day and the kaiser chiefs are supposed to be deadly live

Green Day are pretty good live alright - especially at the Ambassador last year, they played a lot of their older stuff. They engage the crowd quite a bit. Can't say I'm a fan of the Kaiser Chiefs though so I can't really comment on them live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Muse - I love the over the topness

Interpol - theres just something about their shows

Placebo - HAve seen them 6 times now and they are amazing, great stage presence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,989 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Did I say The Point? I meant the Olympia!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭elephamt king

where have you seen placebo?
    im prayning that theyll come here with the new album.
    also
    amen
    misfits
    iron maiden
    green day
    and the pixies rocked my socks to the max.
    would literaly die (dramatically then get back up and queue for tickets) if the pumpkins started going again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Best artists / bands ive seen live:
    Weezer (what a show, short but mind blowing)
    Ben Folds (genius. His shows bring crowd interactivity to a new level. Not the Same Live is possibly the most magical moment ive ever experienced)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 *sweetpea*

Interpol-without a doubt the best band I've seen live (and I've seen a good few!) Saw them twice and the only word I can use to describe the gigs is 'wow'-an experience! (+ the OLE OLE OLE chant by the crowd at oxegen was funny!) ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

where have you seen placebo?
    im prayning that theyll come here with the new album.

Saw them at the S.F.X., Slane, Olympia x2, Oxygen and Wembley :D .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭treefingers

*sweetpea* wrote:
    Interpol-without a doubt the best band I've seen live (and I've seen a good few!) Saw them twice and the only word I can use to describe the gigs is 'wow'-an experience! (+ the OLE OLE OLE chant by the crowd at oxegen was funny!) ;)

ive seen them twice too and i felt they were a bit of a let down both times. (i'm a big fan). the olympia gig in particular was pretty good, but definately no where near "best live band ever" territory.

for me british sea power were by far and away the best live band i have seen. if you think interpol live is "an experience," then you haven't seen BSP! interpol just play their songs as they appear on record while standing as still as possible. hardly what i'd call an experience. :D

the flaming lips, radiohead, and sigur ros close seconds...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I've seen Muse three times, entertaining but nowhere even in my top 20 or even 30 live bands. Stand out performances for me:

Einstuerzende Neubauten - I've seen them six times now, best was in Berlin for a fan club show, they put contact mics all over the building and used it as a giant percussion instrument!

The Flaming Lips - Just an amazing feelgood experience. Dancing animals and suns, bubbles, balloons, blood, videos and great tunes. Hard to top really.

Tool - :D:D:D:D:D

Kraftwerk - Four men with laptops. More stage presence than most guitar bands that throw themselves around the stage.

Tindersticks - Beautiful songs played beautifully by some not very beautiful looking men.

Also worthy mentions to The Dirty Three, A Silver Mt Zion, PJ Harvey, LCD Soundsystem, The Jimmy Cake, Low, SunnO))), Opeth, Damien Rice (bar hearing the same stories over and over again), Wolf Eyes and Sigur Rós.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Winter Slide

the shins are amazing live. but the best gig I've ever been to was the Boss and the E Street Band at the RDS a couple of years ago. An incredible gig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I've seen Muse at Witnness, Dublin Castle, The Olympia and Randalls Island, NYC, and there is no comparison. They are just incredible.

In terms of Irish music, Berkeley put the competition to shame. Sensational band, amazing music, and tight as fcuk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Tiddlywinks

Devendra Banhart
    Interpol
    The Magic Numbers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

David Bowie
    radiohead
    arcade fire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Spicy Lauren

Massive Attack in the Point 2 years ago
    Mudhoney in the Village a few weeks back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Kaiser Chiefs - Bringin' the cowbell back to Rock and Roll!!!! About effing time someone did!!!!

REM - Amazing energy. Michael Stipe must be on drugs, or insane, or both.

Moby - Great show. Stageful of weirdos playing every bizarre instrument known to man.

Foo Fighters - Brilliant live. Plus Dave Groehl is funny dude.

Green Day - Were great back in the dookie days. Have not seen them recently.

Beastie Boys - Lots of energy - don't take themselves too seriously.

David Bowie - Amazing show. Funny dude as well - which I did not expect.

Two bands I would never have gone to see if they weren't at Live 8 - Black Eyed Peas and Will Smith.
    Will Smith had amazing, infectious energy - really got the crowd pumping. Though he did have home field advantage in Philly.
    Black eyed peas were great - Fergie is hot as hell. Kanye West was actually damn good too.

Keane - Only went because my wife likes them, but they were great live, even though it was raining throughout the show.

They Might be Giants - very entertaining.

Sinead O'Connor - Gets a mention for her voice. I always assumed the studio had a lot to do with it, but no. Her body must be about 90% lungs.

A few thumbs down:

Flaming Lips - someone else gave them the thumbs up, but they sucked at the show I was at.

Smashing Pumpkins - Depressing as hell. Though in fairness I saw them a few months after Kurt Cobain killed himself - at a festival that Nirvana were originally supposed to headine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭COCK

Prodigy - saw them state side in a club meant for like 700 bbut with like 1000 in it, everyone was thrash dancing, greatest experience of my life.

Interpol are good and so are mars volta ambulance ltd are good too

Worst live band ever is the bravery, a bane on music they are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭flynnduism

id have to go with radiohead @ the point

runners up:

arcade fire @ EP
    interpol @ oxegen/olympia
    devendra banhart @ the village

and you will know us by the trail of dead, mars volta, qotsa!

• Advertisement
Advertisement