Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB Ignore their customers and plan instead to 'acquire' lots more .

• 29-09-2005 1:31pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

Rather than fix their congested network and provide support for their existing customers IBB have a great plan but anybody witha dodgy Ripwave should please look away right now.

Lets spend €1m on marketing and advertising to cram even MORE customers onto their creaky network.

Silicon Republic Story
    Irish Broadband plans to spend €1m on a major marketing campaign across TV, press, radio and the web to publicise a new promotional offer for its wireless internet access service.

The campaign is scheduled to run until the end of the year and Irish Broadband claimed that during that time, it will have been seen by more than 90pc of available audiences in that time. Its first TV commercial is due to air next Monday 3 October.

Oh dear.
    Every advert will use the slogan ‘Some things don’t work without lines, but our broadband does...’. The purpose of the campaign is to publicise plug-and-play wireless broadband over traditional internet access services that rely on phone lines. It will also highlight the pricing model that involves no line-rental charges, no connection fee and no minimum contract. Ordinarily there is a €99 connection charge but Irish Broadband will waive this for any customers who sign up before 30 December.

and
    The plug-and-play service, called Ripwave. is priced at €18.95 incl Vat per month. The service is currently available to customers in the cities of Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Waterford, Galway, Bray, Drogheda and Dundalk.

evidently they fear that Clearwire (also due to advertise heavily in the next few weeks) will eat their cold leftover style lunch . Also see :D

http://www.betterwhois.com/bwhois.cgi?domain=ripwavesucks.com&x=25&y=17

and :D:D:D

http://www.betterwhois.com/bwhois.cgi?domain=ripwave-sucks.com&x=25&y=17

:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

This was covered in the business section of to-night's 5-7 Live. The presenter started by talking about the new campaign and then went on to highlight the issues being submitted on boards.ie. The COO was on to respond to the issues and admitted that there were problems, blamed on the rapid growth, in service levels particularly in Cork, Limerick and Galway. He also admitted that their support organization was not up to the demands of the current customer base and blamed this on the lack of properly trained staff available for recruitment.

He then went on to have a dig at some customers who expected to get the full speed on their service despite the fact that it was a contended service.

The archive of the program is not up on the RTE site yet, will probably be there to-morrow morning. The article is in the last five minutes of the show for those who want to hear exactly what was said.

M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

If they're planning to push Ripwave, it will kill them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Rather than fix their congested network and provide support for their existing customers IBB have a great plan but anybody witha dodgy Ripwave should please look away right now.

Lets spend €1m on marketing and advertising to cram even MORE customers onto their creaky network.

Silicon Republic Story

Oh dear.

and

evidently they fear that Clearwire (also due to advertise heavily in the next few weeks) will eat their cold leftover style lunch . Also see :D

http://www.betterwhois.com/bwhois.cgi?domain=ripwavesucks.com&x=25&y=17

and :D:D:D

http://www.betterwhois.com/bwhois.cgi?domain=ripwave-sucks.com&x=25&y=17

:D
    This one is also available :D:D:D
    /joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭PlasmaFish

They must be announcing a new product line because is mentions that:

[INDENT.....Irish homes and offices of the future will use mobile, VoIP and WiMAX plug-and-play wireless broadband Internet technologies to.....INDENT]

Ripwave isn’t WiMAX and there was an article in earlier on this year about Intel and IBB starting to introduce WiMAX to Ireland by late 05. This could be a new service there launching to compete again Digiweb’s Metro. With Phone, TV and Broadband all included.

Also they have redesigned there website but the content is much the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

I heard from a good source they are going into VOIP in a big way...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Fawkes

Looks like they spend some money on a brand new website also. Take a look at the new http://www.irishbroadband.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

It kinda looks like Digiwebs........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

PlasmaFish wrote:
    Ripwave isn’t WiMAX and there was an article in earlier on this year about Intel and IBB starting to introduce WiMAX to Ireland by late 05. This could be a new service there launching to compete again Digiweb’s Metro. With Phone, TV and Broadband all included.

Why are they in the Wimax forum so ???

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/news/article.php/3340771

and why this comment
    it would join the forum and would add WiMax-based technology to its Ripwave product lineup when the standard is available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

damien.m wrote:
    Blamed customer care on not being able to hire people.

He is well able to hire sales people though, I ran one of them last week ...telling him to sort out his customers first like a good company should .

Cheeky fúk even said he could offer me a service level agreement from IBB in writing but I ran him anyway coz toilet paper is cheap :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,013 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'd like the SLA I was promised actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Gerry_J

I found their Sales People to be pushy, and not very technically minded when problems arose, however their engineers on both occasions I found them to be helpful and understanding, and they spent a whole day with me trying to sort out the problem when installing, and were available and on site two days after notifying IBB of a problem with the connection. That’s all I can say.

Regards
    Gerald D Jacob

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

“Can't find good people” can be roughly translated as “following the pack, paying peanuts, getting monkeys”.

What do you pay your support staff Ms Duffy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭williamb

FWIW, I have IBB at home, and their shiny new website is telling me it's not available in my area.

Probably as well .. I'm getting a good service at the moment, don't want their usual collapse when they put more than 2 customers on the same tower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

IBB actually make me sick.
    Their ripwave product DOES NOT WORK in the majority of cases.
    How can they push this? They obviously do not have people with sufficient technical skill to run the ripwave side of the network (I know people with Breeze and their service is fine).

If you want wireless without putting up an aeriel, get Clearwire. They are a million times better than IBB.

IBB produced debts of 4.5 million euro in the first 6 months of this year. Let's hope the last six months of 2005 finishes them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

So ive seen the advert on RTE 2 for ripwave, it also shows the ripwave packaging box floating in water, so hopefully if the water skier is lucky the box should be empty for it to float. :D

IBB, spend your Fcking money on updating your network before adding more demand for service. tut tut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

IBB dont spend money on anything just F.U.C.K off bunch of muppets.

Sorry its just how i feel. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

ricey wrote:
    IBB dont spend money on anything just F.U.C.K off bunch of muppets.

Sorry its just how i feel. :mad:

Its OK, I totally agree, i really have to laugh at the ad, i mean the modem is right beside the computer monitor, ive had ripwave and i had to put it right on the window sil, to get reception, i was mad one time of crap reception so i threw it at the wall, naturally it broke (Plastic came off) but last week i needed a net connection because my linksys router had bad firmware on it, and i thing it works better without the plastic cover :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

eth0_ wrote:
    IBB produced debts of 4.5 million euro in the first 6 months of this year. Let's hope the last six months of 2005 finishes them.

Not bloody likely seeing as they are wholly owned by National Toll Roads... the company that runs the West Link and M1 toll bridges. They could pretty much afford to haemmorhage money in IBB into the forseeable future.

They're screwing us over enough with the toll bridge to have enough money to keep quite a few other loss making ventures afloat. Any company that was forced to give good service as a means for competitive survival would have got their crap together by now. Having a "diverse" business portfolio means bugger all if only one of your companies is successful. Both Greenstar and IBB have reported losses recently.

Wake up and treat your customers with some respect IBB!

List of companies currently falling under the NTR organisational structure (as per their webiste):
    NTR Roads
    Greenstar
    Airtricity
    Celtic Anglian Water
    Irish Broadband
    Materials Recovery.................... I wonder which one is the cash cow amongst those?

One thing to their credit. NTR appear to know how to make money without spending much. The toll bridge cost them almost nothing when compared to the money they're making on it and they'll be milking us till my kids are my age (and I don't even have kids yet). Also they charge for 2mb up and down broadband and give their customers dial-up speed... it can't cost much to provide that service (or lack of).

Their broadband is as bottlenecked as their M50 toll bridge... at least they're consistent!

Advertisement