Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skate helmets

Options
  • 29-09-2005 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭

Let's face it: most bike helmets make you feel like you're wearing a pineapple on your head. But whenever the subject comes up of how helmets look (and therefore feel), someone always pipes up "Helmets are supposed to be for safety, not looks."

That may be true but to my mind, it's not very helpful. The point is: if I have to cycle several miles every day, yet my helmet makes me feel like The Elephant Man, the chances are I'll soon find reasons not to wear it.

So I've been looking at skateboard helmets. They fit more snugly and they look much better than most regular bike helmets. (They also offer protection to the back of the head, although I'm not sure that's particularly relevant to cyclists.)

Does anyone here use a skate helmet? If so, do you think it would work reasonably well for commuting? Is the relative lack of ventilation a problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Ventilation will be the only problem - the level of protection provided should be equal to a regular bike helmet. It actually might be better for winter - it'll keep your head warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭mockerydawg

Cheaper helmets do look like dustbin lids and are about as well ventilated. Try http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ for properly ventilated lids that look smart too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I tell people *never* to look at themselves in the mirror when wearing a helmet.
    They fit more snugly
    Most decent helmets (e.g. those by Giro, Met and Specialized) have multiple ways to adjust the fitting to make it more snug. You'd be surprised how much a difference even the pads make. My Met Stradivarius has a good adjuster on the back of the head to hold it really securely (called 'Safe-T' on Met, 'Roc-Loc' on Giro).

You might consider a full face BMX helmet - at least you'll know it's designed for cycling. Or the Met Parachute, which I only saw a sec ago. It's a full face/regular vented cross. Wouldn't be my cuppa.

The skating helmet may have different protection requirements, ones that may not be compatible with cycling (I don't know, only throwing out 'worst case' thoughts).

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Yeah, most of the cheaper ones make you look like a mushroom.

I think the Giro ones look quite whizzy, once you take the time to fit them. Chain Reaction have a great price on a 2004 Giro Zen right now. Get a nice pair of Oakleys to complete the image.

Put your vanity aside though, and never ever not wear a helmet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Yeah - I agree - you're going to look a bit silly if you're wearing reflective gear anyway, so what harm's a helmet going to do?

And trust me - you don't really know the value of a helmet until you write one off yourself - or see one being written off - and realise "That could have happened to my head". Suddenly the €€€ you paid for it seems very worth it indeed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I've actually seen some people recently with smooth "hockey helmets" (without the face guard).

Something like this http://www.monarch-hockey.com/gk-accessories/helmets.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Victor wrote:
    I've actually seen some people recently with smooth "hockey helmets" (without the face guard).

Wearing one *with* the face guard might give one a "don't mess with me" look, which might make motorists notice and avoid you.

On colder days I wear a Buff multifunction headgear as a facemask (bit pricey at e18 in Lowe Alpine store in Temple Bar). It's just a tube of material about 14 inches long. I used to have a silk balaclava from my motorbike days but that fell apart.
    Coupled with shades, my face is not visible - I like the look.

Aside: they mention a reflective Buff on the site. That might be useful - can never have enough reflective items on you. I have the HALO reflective band on my helmet. It's highly visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Do hockey helmets cover your ears...?
    Victor wrote:

Advertisement