Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family - who'd have them?

• 09-09-2001 1:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭

I left my brother re-install the software on an old computer after we re-formatted all the HDs - big mistake. Apparantly he didn't notice that the 4G drive was showing as a 2G, and the 10G drive didn't show at all.

They show up in the BIOS ok - the 10G shows as 8.4G, and the 4G descrption doesn't show a size. The wrong size in the 10G doesn't worry be. Originally the BIOS wouldn't support drives above 8.4G (very old computer), although I did upgrade the bios to get the whole 10G. I'd live with 8.4G cos I don't use the computer much, but it doesn't show up in windows at all.

Anybody seen this problem before? The manufacturer's website (western digital) didn't have anything on it :(

P2 233Mhz
    160MB
    Win 98SE

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Have you partitioned the drive? Has to be partitioned before it can be formatted. In win98 or DOS, run fdisk at a command prompt. Make sure you partition the correct drive, it wouldn't be fun partitioning the drive you just installed windows on :)

Once the drive is partitioned it should show up in windows explorer and you can easily format it from there or from dos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

it was partitioned with just one partition - maybe if I tried partitioning into two it might work, but there's no reason it should :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

2gb only showin up suggests to me that it was formated using fat16 which only allows up to 2gb per partition...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

aye - but surely no1 uses fat16 anymore :)

I used FDISK to partition the drive and it looked like I was getting the missing 2GB, but when windows started it showed as a 0 byte partition. How moronic is it that the OS doesn't realise that's an error? Trying to partition the other disk : "the disk is full" :rolleyes: Complete reformat in order :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Repartion it using FDisk or the lovely Win2K installer. ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement