Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone Call to confirm Account Info?

• 29-09-2005 3:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭

I got a call from someone purporting to be from eBay on Monday asking me to confirm my contact details as someone had allegedly logged a complaint against me for having incorrect contact info. Now, I'm not the most private of people but this still triggered an alarm bell in my head so I explained to the guy that I'm not in the habit of giving out my details to cold callers but that if he'd like to read out the details he could see on my account I'd confirm if they were genuine.

After threatening to ban my account and trying to make out that he was doing me a favour by calling me, the guy called back my contact details to me and I confirmed that they were correct. At this stage he informed me that I'd have to change my phone number as the one I was using was a work number and that I had to be available to accept calls from the contact number 7 days a week.

Now, I have a few issues with this:
    1. I am not currently, nor was I at the time of the phonecall involved in any auctions so why would anyone have had access to my contact details in order to complain about the phone number not being answered on a Saturday?
    2. Only my friends and family are entitled to a 24/7 contact number for me. My clients in work don't even get my extension, never mind my mobile number, why should I be obliged to post it on-line, even in a protected manner?
    3. Why didn't eBay deal with this through my account on their website rather than by phoning me?
    4. Who the hell complained about me, if indeed there was a complaint?

Anyone else ever gotten a similar call?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Very, very, very strange.

Have you tried ringing ebay to ask them about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Be very careful. Track it back through Ebay and ask them the same questions, they should not be calling you like that and requesing that information. They themselves gives warning about this kind of activity!

Cheerio
    Howard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Sleepy whats your user id and ill check your account. (Yes i work for eBay)

Advertisement