Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA game out on November 11th.

Options
  • 29-09-2005 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭

"Sony Computer Entertainment Ireland today announce that Gaelic Games: Football, exclusive to the PlayStation 2 entertainment system, will launch across Ireland on the 11th of November, 2005.

For the first time ever take to the field in a Gaelic football game fully licensed by the GAA and developed by IR Gurus using their unique AFL Rules game engine. Gaelic Games: Footballâ will allow players to play a single game or follow a full GAA season, including the National football league, Provincial and All Ireland Football Championships.

Recreate dozens of moves from soloing, handpassing, tackling and shooting in one of 11 photo realistic stadiums including Croke Park, O'Moore Park, Semple Stadium, Casement Park and Pearse Stadium.

Players can choose from all current county teams including London and New York. Gaelic Games: Football also includes full commentary from the legendary Micheál Ó Muircheartaigh and Sony Computer Entertainment Ireland has worked closely with Foras na Gaeilge, the all Island body for the promotion of the Irish language, to develop a full Irish language menu option and manual."

Sounds like they've really gone to town on this and it could actually be a decent game. Anyone know how the Aussie Rules game on which it is based was recieved?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Bout time is all i can say... wasn't this announced ages ago?

The team behind it did AFL 2004 which screens of can be seen here:
    http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/sports/afllive2004/screenindex.html

If they use a modified version of the above i'd say we'll have a nice looking game, then hopefully they'll have solid gameplay to match.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

where'd you get that info?
    Nov isnt that far away - I'm surprised there arent any screens out yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It was emailed out in a press release by Sony. Think the reason that there's no screens is probably due to the fact that the game will only be released in Ireland - there's not much of a games media here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Have played that AFL game

It did look pretty but I found the camera angle to be very confusing

It might have had something to do with the nature of the oval pitch but I found it very difficult to tell if you were playing in the right direction

Once you strung a few passes together and got to the other end of the pitch it was quite enjoyable especially playing against a mate

If the directional problems are sorted, either by a rectangular pitch being easier to navigate or by more development then it could be a good game

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Paulmee

Here's the promotional video for the game, only a few seconds of game footage though
    http://media.putfile.com/PlaystationGAAad

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Stoichkov

Thanks for the link to the ad, hopefully the game will be as entertaining as it.

You can also have the menus in Irish if you want.

Only game I can remember off the top of my head having Irish in it was the end sequence of Metal Gear Solid.

Potato Man wrote:
    Here's the promotional video for the game, only a few seconds of game footage though
    http://media.putfile.com/PlaystationGAAad
    that's brilliant!!!! :D
    I was thinking of selling my PS2 (as I've got a good PC now) but I think I'll hold onto it for this!!
    Thanks for the linky ;)

I'd say there still will be a market for this abroad.
    It's even up here http://shop.game.net/ViewProduct.aspx?cat=10282&mid=324217

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

damn ps only damn you bill gates BUY THEM OUT DAMMIT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

I really don't understand why Sony can't see the potential for this title outside Ireland. An agressive marketing campaign in the US would see all sorts of ex-pats and people who's great great great great great second cousin came from Ireland interested in the game. Heck, even a mediocre response to the game in the US would be far more profitable than an Ireland-only release.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

- there's not much of a games media here.

We had the release date up a few hours before the press release was issued, and I've asked for shots.
    Branoic wrote:
    I really don't understand why Sony can't see the potential for this title outside Ireland. An agressive marketing campaign in the US would see all sorts of ex-pats and people who's great great great great great second cousin came from Ireland interested in the game. Heck, even a mediocre response to the game in the US would be far more profitable than an Ireland-only release.

Releasing it Ireland first would help any possible launch in any other country. Anyway, any "all sorts of ex-pats" in the UK who want it, I would persume, could easly get their hands on it - so it's not just going to be an Ireland release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Any screenshots yet momument?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

No. I was told they dont have any 'for release yet'.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

GAME in Dawson Street have some display boxes out ready for pre-order. There's screen-shots on the back but they don't look the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Ahh now if it's only football it's not a real GAA game.
    Everyone in Tipp knows that Hurling is the only real GAA game and that football stuff is not important. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

By the sound of the name, a hurling game could be next.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Paulmee

The developers of this game have the following information on their website(http://www.irgurus.com/)

Product Title: Gaelic Games: Football TM
    Developer: IR Gurus Pty Ltd
    No of Players: 1-4 (with multitap)
    Peripherals: Memory Card (8MB) (for PlayStation®2), Analog Controller(DUALSHOCK®2) EyeToy Camera.
    Age Rating 3+
    Release Date 11th November 2005

Key Features
    Full GAA Season:
    Play a single game or follow a full GAA season, including the National Football League, Provincial and All Ireland Football Championships.

All Teams:
    Choose from all current county teams (including New York and London)

Stadia:
    Choose from 11 photo-realistic stadia;
    Leinster:
    Croke Park Dublin
    Pairc Tailteann Navan
    O' Moore Park Portlaoise
    Parnell Park Dublin
    Munster:
    Semple Stadium Thurles
    Fitzgerald Stadium Killarney
    Pairc Ui Chaoimh Cork
    Ulster:
    St Tiernach's Park Clones
    Casement Park Belfast
    Connacht: Pearse Stadium Galway
    Dr Hyde Park Roscommon

Commentary:
    Full commentary from the legendary Micheál Ó Muirchearthaigh.

Training Mode:
    The perfect way to learn how to play Gaelic Games: Football T, training mode allows you to master the controls before playing for real.

Key Moves:
    Dozens of moves including soloing, hand-passing, free taking, penalties, tackling and shooting.

EyeToy® Cameo:
    By using the EyeToy: Cameo you will be able to take high-resolution
    images
    of your face with the EyeToy Camera and turn out a squad featuring you
    and
    some of your friends.

Team & Individual Player Tactics:
    Tactics allow for the gamer to select different team and player strategies.

Irish Language Option:
    Navigate in-game menus in English or Irish.

User Controlled Replays:
    Users have complete control over replays with full 360 degree replay with fast forward/rewind, pause and slow motion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

sounding good

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

omg cant wait till Monaghan win the All-Ireland with e playing as them lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

omg cool u can play in clones that would be awesome lol i live near clones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭redmosquito

Anywhere else have a clip for this, that link above wont work for me :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,906 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah.. seconded!

Anyone here got a working link to the footage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Jesus, does nobody miss the days before GAA was made 'sexy' (and I use the term advisedly) by the evil machinations of corporate sponsorship?

This is Bogball we're talking about people - mucksavage gardai with red faces and huge hands running around in the mud telling each other to "play hard into your man".

I demand Sony bring out a game based on the Irish Cricket Team. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

omg cant wait till Monaghan win the All-Ireland with e playing as them lol

snigger :D

basquille wrote:
    Yeah.. seconded!

Anyone here got a working link to the footage.
    that link was only for the (brilliant! :D ) advert... it'll probably be on TV within the next couple of weeks.
    The ad itself only showed around 2 seconds (I'm not kidding) of actually game footage.
    Probably best you look for game footage of the Aussie rules is based on as it's supposed to play just like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

lol - if the sdlp youth say its good, it must be then so :)

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Thats bollocks, Park Tailteann is in it and there's no Breffni Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Thrasher

Chairperson of Newry and Armagh SDLP Youth Sharon Haughey said, “Gaels across the Island of Ireland will wait with great anticipation for this first-ever GAA Playstation game, tipped to be released in 2005. Of course no computer game will ever be as good as the real thing but I’m sure it will bring many hours of fun and excitement to Gaels across the world.

"The magic of Gaelic games is instilled in so many Irish hearts, young and old alike and this news just goes to show how far the GAA has come - in this world of e-technology the GAA is now set to compete with all other top sports."

F\/ck off..... is this still a country of farmer Murphy and his boys up yonder field?

F\/ck right off. "E-technology". Don't make me vomit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Thrasher

Oh sh!te.

I think I know Sharon,....

• Advertisement
Advertisement