Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork City -v- Slavia Prague

• 29-09-2005 3:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭

Cork are trailing 2-0 from the first leg in Prague. I can see Cork keeping a clean sheet for this, but unfortunately I do not know where the goals are going to come from :( For the good of the clubs seeding in Europe next season, a draw wouldn't be a terrible result.

Good luck lads, I for one hope you can turn it around and are the first Irish team to ever reach the Group Stages. Best of luck to one and all!
    RTE 2 // 18:25 // UEFA Cup 1st Round // Cork City versus Slavia Prague

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I think Cork have agood chance tonight if they can keep it tight at the back. the support they get at Turners cross is fantastic and can drive any team on to win. I share your worries about where the goals are going to come from as Cork have a tendancy to struggle to score in home European games, this season anyway, but they did create quite a few chances in Prague. It will be alot tougher for them tonight as obviouslt prague wont attack as much as they dont need and Cork will really need big games from the likes of Kearney, Fenn, Flynn and O' Callaghan if they are to win this oone. I think they will win the match but they wont win the tie, I hope in wrong and they can get through because it would be fantastic for Irish football.

By the way I thought the game was on at 5:30 today. If its on at 6:30 I wont get to see it because I have training for my own team :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Best of luck, wont be able to watch it cos I'm workin unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I have €200 on under 2.5 goals @ 4/5.

Can't see many goals...

Come on the boring 0 - 0 draw!!! :) (sorry lads)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Surely a 2-0 City win in 90 minutes will suffice.

ET won't count, so if City score 5 then, everybodies happy! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭radiospan

If it was 2-1 from the first leg (remember hitting the bar three times in two minutes), then I'd give City every chance, but a 3-0 win tonight does seem like a big ask.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

For some reason I am confident we can actually do this. The weather is shít down here, so that wont suit the Czech, plus our small pitch, where the fans are on top of the players will be of benefit to City. Their pitch has a running track around it, so they wont be used to the fans being among them. Its a sell out crowd, not a ticket in sight. The team are playing well, and are scoring goals again. We showed in Prague that we can put a game to them. Its theirs to lose. Im leaving work in the next 10 minutes and hope to see history tonight.

WE ARE RICOS REBEL ARMY!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Best of luck to Cork tonight , unfortunatly I will also miss the game with my own team's training .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Who scored fro Slavia?

1-0 atm

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Unlucky Cork. Decent performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Yeah, was a decent performance. The class difference between the two teams was obvious though. Still, I can see them doing better every year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Didnt see the game so anyone want to fill me in on how Cork did?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

ended 1-2 , George O'Callaghan with the goal for Cork , I didn't get to see any of the game .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Hard Luck Cork.

Very brave performance against a very good side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Just home. Dissapointed but not disheartened. City were beaten by a far superior side tonight. The eL is going in the right direction though. We lost 4-1 on aggregate against a team who will have realistic ambitions of getting out of the group stages. But City were not outclassed, and that is a very positive thing to say. Every City player can hold his head high and say "Ive done myself and my club proud". If City play like they did tonight in their remaining games this season, the double is a mere formality.

As for the game itself, i think it was obvious from 10 minutes in, that Slavia were going to go through. They passed the ball with such precision and ease, it was scary. They had 2 goals disallowed in the first half (rightly for offide, i was level with both), before some super play and deft skill got them thier first goal. Early in the 2nd City had a goal of their own dissalowed, and again I was level, and having seen it on tv, I have no clue what the problem was. Not soon after, Slavia got the killer 2nd. However, we did recieve a very soft penalty about 10 mins later, which i think was the refs way of apologising for a poor decision earlier. A few good saves from Slavias keeper kept their lead.

the assistant ref showed 4 mins additional time, but the ref blew up after a minute. Odd, but the players of both teams were boiling over, and there were a few fracas', so i think it was a wise decision from the ref.

As I said, dissapointed but not disheartened. Proud to be a City fan tonight!

EDIT: On a side note, the scenes at the end of the game were brilliant. Slavia went over to salute their fans, but were applauded very loudly by the City fans, and were applauded to the dressing rooms. That was what sport is about! It was a great feeling to see all of this.

One problem I had tonight though, were the quite obvious first timers in the crowd. 15 mins in, they were criticising, complaining and so on. Apparently Mick Devine "isnt related to a keeper", Neale Horgan "is absolute crap...why is he even on the pitch", George o Callaghan is "a pussy", and Roy O Donavan "is a child". Funnily enough a few of these 'fans' left at half time - boiled my fúcking blood that these shíts got tickets, when some regulars were left outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Roy O'Donovan puts up a big fight for a small fella :) Disappointing result but exactly what I expected... I'm glad that we could put such a good team under such pressure for so long, especially in the 2nd half. What about Fenn's control and set up for what would have been a class goal near the start of the first half. Danny Murphy is still a legend.

Advertisement