Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart in Galway.

• 29-09-2005 3:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been answered before, but search is down.

Does anyone know what the current situation is with Smart in Galway is?

Ive been waiting for ages now and still nothing from them, not even a phone call to say, "its actually going to be a few more months...."

any info Garfield?

Sean.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

ya my bro is geting realy pissed of because they were ment to do up mervue ages ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 oilfoster

Galway HPO: planned "live" time 4 weeks
    Shantalla: planned "live" time 4 weeks
    Mervue: planned "live" time 4 weeks.
    Note that these are estimated, there are so many variables in unbundling an exchange that dates sometimes slip. However, if these dates slip, it will only be by a couple of weeks.
    Ciarán

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

Sorry if this has been answered before, but search is down.Does anyone know what the current situation is with Smart in Galway is?
    Ive been waiting for ages now and still nothing from them, not even a phone call to say, "its actually going to be a few more months...."
    any info Garfield?
    Sean.

Sean,

Just back from holidays, will get an update on Monday, though Oilfoster seems to be fairly confident about the dates.

Garfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Jor

Rabbit,

Do not believe Smart! Do not believe Garfield!!
    They are just an elaborate trick designed by Eircom to torment those of us who won't pay extortion money for Eircom BB. They don't exist! They ARE magic, an illusion designed to fool people.

I signed up to Smart in April. They ( or to be accurate " The voices" ) told me my local exchange in Waterford would be available by the end of June.
    Still nothing.
    I phoned up the voices and they said they were too busy trying to overthrow the government to do anything.
    With nothing else to do, I retraced Garfields postings. His signature where he lists the places with and due Smart BB has not changed since March.
    Finally, I sent out a team of investigators to all the places where he listed the service as available. They all turned up DEAD! What reports I received from them beforehand lead me to believe that all Smart customers in these areas are the victims of BODYSNATCHERS!!!!!!!!!

So, best of luck dealing with them.
    Just don't get paranoid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

A users current signature will be applied to all their past posts - vbulletin just pulls it out of the database and tacks it on to the old posts when you view them, which explains why it looks like it hasn't changed in 7 months(!).

You have a point though, I mailed them a couple of days ago asking if they have anything more concrete than "this year" for Kilkenny exchange. The guy who replied kind of insinuated that "this year" probably won't even cover it :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Galway was 8 weeks away 8 weeks ago :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

Jor wrote:
    Rabbit,

Do not believe Smart! Do not believe Garfield!!
    They are just an elaborate trick designed by Eircom to torment those of us who won't pay extortion money for Eircom BB. They don't exist! They ARE magic, an illusion designed to fool people.

I signed up to Smart in April. They ( or to be accurate " The voices" ) told me my local exchange in Waterford would be available by the end of June.
    Still nothing.
    I phoned up the voices and they said they were too busy trying to overthrow the government to do anything.
    With nothing else to do, I retraced Garfields postings. His signature where he lists the places with and due Smart BB has not changed since March.
    Finally, I sent out a team of investigators to all the places where he listed the service as available. They all turned up DEAD! What reports I received from them beforehand lead me to believe that all Smart customers in these areas are the victims of BODYSNATCHERS!!!!!!!!!

So, best of luck dealing with them.
    Just don't get paranoid

Thats the both the funniest and truest post I've seen on Boards in a long time!
    Anyways, same here. I went with UTV for a 3 month free trial while waiting for these jokers to go live in Mervue in a so called 4 weeks...
    4 mths later I've just started a BT 6 month contract which will tide me over till NTL go fully live in Galway.

Pat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Marcopolo85

Sorry if this has been answered before, but search is down.

Does anyone know what the current situation is with Smart in Galway is?

any info Garfield?

Sean.

If you've got NTL in Galway, then you can get 1 Meg for €25 per month...... :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Galway was 8 weeks away 8 weeks ago :(
    Don't worry SpongeBob they are only 8 weeks away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Sean,

Just back from holidays, will get an update on Monday, though Oilfoster seems to be fairly confident about the dates.

Garfield.

Any news Garfield?

Im dying to get away from Eircoms €€€€€€€€ Grip!!!!!

• Advertisement

Any news Garfield?

Im dying to get away from Eircoms €€€€€€€€ Grip!!!!!

I'll post tomorrow. Didn't get around to it today, first day back and that....

Thanks Garfield. any sort of new is something at least.

Sean.

Why do I suspect its 8 weeks ..........again..........or is that still :(

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Why do I suspect its 8 weeks ..........again..........or is that still :(
    Current update is that we're looking at month end, so four weeks.

Garfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

While North Main remains perpetually "next" :/

PiE wrote:
    While North Main remains perpetually "next" :/
    Problems outside our control, unfortunately.

Garfield.

Thanks garfield, 4 weeks aint too bad. once its active, what would be the fastest way to get the changeover done? I dont care about changing numbers and its obviously a self install. Im currently with Eircom.

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Fiendish Freddy

As an Irish broadband customer in an exchange that Smart are trying to get into...

To be honest, i think Smart have done well all things considered, i've read about some of the restrictions Eircon have put in place and they really are unbelievable, it makes you wonder whether deregulation has actually given much more power to the consumer.
    As far as i know Smart are the only provider that doesnt just resell Eircoms product, they actually go into the exchanges and install their own equipment therefor reducing the grip that Eircom have aswell as reducing the amount of money they make from them... The problem is this gives them the opportunity to restrict the time they have in these badly maintained exchanges thus completely slowing down their local loop unbundling process, along with every other restriction Eircom have in place...

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭neonitrix

Garfield - any news on smart being available in Portlaoise ? - keep getting told its on the network build this year but no further info.

Anything to add? -

tks

Neonitrix

Any news on shantalla.......?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 zimbabady

I am gonna get broadband by next week, if i wait till then could smart be live in North Main?

I would love to get smart but the next best ive seen is either Magnet or Digiweb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

zimbabady wrote:
    I am gonna get broadband by next week, if i wait till then could smart be live in North Main?

I would love to get smart but the next best ive seen is either Magnet or Digiweb

Any idea what areas Magnet cover? They don't say on their site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 oilfoster

Portlaoise is not on this years programme, beyond our control.

Galway: Shantalla, Mervue, Galway HPO (Eglinton St) are all on course to be live and ready for customers by the end of the month.

Ciarán

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭vigos

well I might as well ask then, what timeframe for Athlone? I've heard sometime before Christmas?

Athlone (either exchange) is not in Garfields sig, therefore nothing will happen until after the court cases and the automated LLU process .

Get a 6 month contract elsewhere and then come back here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭vigos

Did just that,signed up with BT last month as I figured it would be a few months alright. Was just curious thats all, so I guess it will be well into next year. Pity!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 rtyped

OK it's November,

am I being overly optimistic or has smart enabled the Galway exchanges (mervue, shantalla)?

Advertisement