Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barracks - Rd? St?

• 29-09-2005 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi folks,
    better introduce myself first. I was born in Liverpool and my great grandad and great grandma came from Waterford City. I'm looking for members of the Nash family who I've been told still live in Waterford City in either Barracks Road or Street. I'm planning a visit over there to trace my Mum and Grandad's side of the family and to know what I'm all about(!). Mum sadly passed away in February and I've gotten this mad urge to to know everything about my roots
    Any info would be appreciated :)

By the way, if you want to see pics of the Real Capital of Ireland :D, I have a Liverpool related website ;)Liverpool Pictorial

Thanks, Daveicon14.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Hi folks,
    better introduce myself first. I was born in Liverpool and my great grandad and great grandma came from Waterford City. I'm looking for members of the Nash family who I've been told still live in Waterford City in either Barracks Road or Street. I'm planning a visit over there to trace my Mum and Grandad's side of the family and to know what I'm all about(!). Mum sadly passed away in February and I've gotten this mad urge to to know everything about my roots
    Any info would be appreciated :)

By the way, if you want to see pics of the Real Capital of Ireland :D, I have a Liverpool related website ;)Liverpool Pictorial

Thanks, Daveicon14.gif

Barrack Street is the well known street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭peepsbates

By the way, if you want to see pics of the Real Capital of Ireland :D, I have a Liverpool related website ;)

:confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 scouserdave

peepsbates wrote:
    By the way, if you want to see pics of the Real Capital of Ireland :D, I have a Liverpool related website ;)

:confused::confused::confused:
    Whoosh!:)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/legacies/immig_emig/england/liverpool/
    "Liverpool has a long standing public image as an Irish city, so much so that it is often jokingly referred to as the ‘Capital of Ireland’."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

scouserdave you must hold some sort of record for time elapsed between first two posts! :)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Hey Dave I'd honestly say if you came over to Waterford with no information other than the fact your family hailed from Barrack Street, you could still have a fairly successful visit. Waterford is such a small town in a sense and there is nobody in the city who woudln't be a few links away from the average person (A knows B, B know C).
    Even knocking on random doors on Barrack street might get you somewhere, although some locals mightn't be very friendly about it.
    Do you still have relatives in Waterford? and do you know the number?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Yeah it's Barracks street alright.
    Plenty of pubs with oul fellas in them so if you went in and started talking you'd probably find out in no time. Actually you'll probably find out things about yourself that you didn't know.

**Edit** There used to be a Tanter Nash there about 35 yrs ago, used to be a boxer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

PM sent ScouserDave

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Dan133269 wrote:
    Hey Dave I'd honestly say if you came over to Waterford with no information other than the fact your family hailed from Barrack Street, you could still have a fairly successful visit. Waterford is such a small town in a sense and there is nobody in the city who woudln't be a few links away from the average person (A knows B, B know C).

That is more a measure of isolation that population... there seems to have been minimal inward migration into Waterford over the past century, so people know the links.

Having said that, with everyone having moved from the inner city out to the suburbs in the past 30 years, we'll all soon be strangers!

Anyway, everything doesn't do everyone, because I know **** all people in Waterford in the grand scheme of things, although my parents officially know everyone in a 'she's one of the Maddocks', or 'he's the chap of ballybricken Murphy's youngest aunt' or some **** like that. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭SeanieM

It might be worth you checking with the Waterford Heritage and Geneology Centre in Jenkins Lane Waterford, ScouserDave. They do however make a charge for their services (see link)

http://www.iol.ie/~mnoc/

You could also try the familysearch.org website and try tracing family members through this Mormon website.
    I found both my grandparents on here born in 1864 and 1865!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭charlie@w.d

i remember a website where they gave the addresses of households in the city and who owned them and their occupation back in the 19th century and i know that barrack street was on the list, however i searched and searched for the site and couldnt find it anywhere, perhaps someone knows of it or remembers it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭SeanieM

That was the Waterford Households, 1909 census where I found a number of my family members on.
    I have a link to it but it doesn't work anymore but I am sure that it is hosted somewhere on the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭brown*eyed*girl

It would also be a good idea to put an ad in a local newspaper such as the Waterford Today. I've seen this done before & seems as this paper is free most people will have a look at it & I'm sure someone will know someone or something that will give you more clues or maybe even a 2nd or 3rd cousin. The name Nash sounds very familiar to me. I live up near enough Barrack Street all my life & so does most of my family. My Mam would be one of those people who "knows" everyone. I'll ask her to do she know any Nash's & will ask my uncles & aunts etc & come back to you if I find out anything. If you do come over people are very friendly up this area. Pop into the local pubs like Alfie Hales or Norris's on Barrack Street & some of the older regulars might be able to help you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭charlie@w.d

hey did any one notice the date the op posted this, i just hope he checks his thread and that people are still trying to help him out, 13 months after he posted this!
    oh wait sorry he posted again, never mind...

Advertisement