Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harness, Helmet, etc. - Advice

• 29-09-2005 4:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭

Anyone feel like giving me pointers on what to look for and maybe some recommendations? Interested in kit suitable for general purpose mountaineering use - Not for sport climbing or anything like that.

I also have a f***ing big head so a pencil neck's helmet won't do..... :o

Gil

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Right so - Dropped into the Great Outdoors this evening to see what's what. Helpful bloke showed me a couple of harnesses and recommended a Petzl helmet for those of us with big brainboxes.

Think I should be sorted when I drop in there during the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

If you didn't buy anything (and it sounds like you didn't) look for the stuff you're going to get online before going to GO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Great Outdoors is a rip off. Be wary of their advice too, it's generally motivated by sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

general purpose mountaineering use? eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

If you're going to be using the harness for winter mountaineering, get one with adjustable leg-loops. You can tighten them up for summer stuff when you're just wearing shorts, and loosen them for multiple layers of trousers in the cold.
    As for helmets, whatever's comfortable.

M

• Advertisement

Alright lads - Thanks for the replies particularly as I didn't really give you much to work with! I've been looking into what they're offering and believe it or not their prices are actually looking very good:

Petzl Ecrin Rock @ €70
    Black Diamond Alpine Bod @ €50

I've checked with my brother who's big into caving and he's seconded the recommendation for the Ecrin as a good general mountaineering lid and the price is working out okay - I could find a few online from US based stores for around $82 plus shipping. The Harness has adjustable/quick release leg loops which would also allow me take it off while wearing crampons (as pointed out by the bloke in G.O. too) and isn't padded like fruck which would most likely get on my nerves if I'm not using it for load bearing or summer use anyway. I found that for around $40-45, again ex shipping and I could be stung for a few quid on tax at the end of the day too.

If I'm buying kit in any outdoor shop in town I'll ALWAYS get a discount of 10% - They have the margin and TBH I reckon the prices are set with a potential discount taken into account. I actually worked in the O.A.S. a good few years back and we always had 10% to drop if someone produced an MCI, Scouting, An Oige etc card. GO are no different.

To be honest, I was pleasantly surprised with the lads in the shop. The first two guys I spoke to both advised I speak with one of the climbers as although they're trained for selling the products they thought it better I come back to get the run-down from someone who actually uses the kit regularly - They did spend the time to talk through the differences between types and uses along with helmet selection etc. The 'climber' was definately up to speed on his stuff - He told me to come back in during the week to try the gear out when there was time to work through everything carefully. He *could* have sold me the kit then and there and I'd quite happily have spent much more and bought more expensive gear (I rarely work to a hard budget when buying any type of equipment related to safety and comfort). He told me fit and comfort was most important once I was looking at the right type of harness and that if I waited 'til a weekday he'd be able to get me rigged up in each suitable model in the range - He set an appointment to meet him there on Tuesday.

As far as I'm concerned the lads at GO get my vote - NOT ALL OF 'EM of course - But those that actually take the time to get me sorted instead of just getting me sold. We all know when we're being rolled and are quite prepared and right to slam greedy bastards when me encounter them in retail operations. On the flipside I think it's worthwhile giving props to anyone who's demonstrated a real interest in taking care of one of us as a customer. It's the right way to do business and will ensure repeat custom if the total experience is a good one.

Anyway....I'm rambling (pardon the pun).

Gil

I'll begin with an apology for not listening to you lads. The G.O. staff refused to give me a discount today as I couldn't provide them with any of my membership cards (Scout leader warrant, An Oige or MCI membership which I have all three) - Was travelling light and just brought my credit card, car keys and phone with me. I'm not impressed - Without an actual card they refused to budge. First time I've encountered such pig-headed sales tactics outside the OAS. I walked out.

Arseholes.

I'll buy online now and next time.....Grrrrrrr.....

Oh, and the best bit - My friend put back the €1000 worth of boarding gear she was intent on buying (board, bindings and boots) when she saw the way the idiot at the counter treated me. She'll buy online too.

Gil

Well what do you expect? You're supposed to have your card with you. And what kind of spa is your mate buying boarding gear there anyway?

You can refer to her as a "spa" if you want, mate. I would suggest you didn't though - On the basis that some who will read this thread may take offense at the context in which you choose to use it.

My decision to take my business elsewhere is based on principle - If a discount is included in the margin then it should be applied when someone asks for it. I don't care what club you're a member of - MCI, An Oige etc. don't subsidise your purchase so what's the difference really? I could have given them my MCI and Leader warrant numbers as I have both on my phone - They don't care though as they don't record ANYTHING except that a discount has been applied when it's rung up on the till.

Anyway - I'm out. I don't want to run the risk of being called names by FX Meister. The possible consequence could leave me with a reduced level of mental agility. Wouldn't want to argue with an id...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

FX Meister: anymore of that behaviour and you'll be banned.

• Advertisement

Their prices are their prices, maybe they factor in the 10% but they also ask that you bring you MCI card. But what do you expect from GOD? They used to buy the 3 pack Wild Country Tech Friends and then split them up to be sold individually. And any shoes they don't sell they say aren't made anymore so you buy middle of the road shoes they do sell. The old manager used to refuse to give refunds for FAULTY goods too.

Advertisement