Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time connection and broadband - Eircom or EsatBT?

• 29-09-2005 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Getting my phone line connected for the first time and then applying for broadband. No wireless connections in my area yet so essentially limited to Eircom or EsatBT for the moment as Smart Telecom have yet to get onto my local exchange.

Should I go with Eircom or EsatBT? Line rental and broadband would be roughly €55 with Eircom. The similar line rental and broadband package with EsatBT would be cheaper at €40. However, I've heard EsatBT are much slower to connect the service and if I've problems later on the support is poor.

If anybody can advice on who would be better to go with it would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I think the general problem with EsatBT is their billing dept, however they offering better value BB products imho compared to what Eircom offer.
    Larger caps, cheaper with line rental included etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Dan Druff

Yeah its 'BT' not 'Esat BT' go with us our rates are best..though after I leave the company next Friday I'll probably end up recommending someone else!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

I'm currently in my 10th week waiting for BB with BT, with no end in sight. The complaints department now email me every day to tell me there is NO new status!

I went for the lot with them ( new connection, line rental and BB) I can only say it's been a disaster.

Meanwhile their billing system over billed me on the first bill (by over €150 - I made ZERO calls ) :rolleyes:

AVOID AVOID AVOID or be codemned to post here http://btireland-sucks.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

well, I'm sure Dan will tell you that the majority of delays with BT BB is due to eircom dragging their feet at their end, rather than something BT are doing wrong.

Also, it should be noted (again DD will verify I'm sure) that since BT have implemented their new billing system, the majority of the billing problems have been or are in the process of being sorted out.

add to that (generally) better pings and a higher cap, as well as the cheaper price (esp. with line rental inc.) and eircom can't compare.

Also check out Digiweb, they do DSL as well as wireless BB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

i rang bt up today over my 214 euro bill, and they told me they billed my 2 months in advance aswell as my previous months, but sure its going now with the metro replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ivuernis

Thanks for all the responses.

I think for the moment I will get my line connected through Eircom as they said it would be max 4 weeks to do so whereas EsatBT have said it will take 4-6 weeks.

I'm still undecided about who to go with for the broadband though. EsatBT is cheaper and has a larger download allowance but if I'm going to be waiting longer with them I might go with Eircom for now and sign up for Smart Telecom who are supposed to be available in my neck of the woods by the end of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Wouldnt hold my breath on the Smart thing!! Would it be a good idea to get the free line installation with eircom and immediately switch the line and BB over to ESAT. I've contacted Esat today and they say it will take 10 working days to take over a line which has already been installed. I like the look of their BB plus package, €50 for line rental and 2MB BB, does anyone know of any problems I might encounter in getting eircom to install the line and switching to Esat Straight away???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

no probs, you will just get a final bill of eircom, but bt sort all the hard work out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Leatherbelly

how about imagine broadband? has anyone signed up with them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

magnet.ie seems reasonable for 4Mbit/512KBit upload

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

BT are great when it works. It rarely fails. Pray however you never have to phone their customer support because you will grow a beard while you wait for them to answer............................... I've now been holding 43 minutes!!!! The other day it was well over an hour and I just had to hang up.

Last time I used their tech support I wasn't impressed he told me it might be my hub/switch that was causing the router to become unsynched and disconnect... After a few minutes of reasoning with him he realised how ridiculous his suggestion was and told me to send information to some email address.

Salmon wrote:
    Wouldnt hold my breath on the Smart thing!! Would it be a good idea to get the free line installation with eircom and immediately switch the line and BB over to ESAT. I've contacted Esat today and they say it will take 10 working days to take over a line which has already been installed. I like the look of their BB plus package, €50 for line rental and 2MB BB, does anyone know of any problems I might encounter in getting eircom to install the line and switching to Esat Straight away???

Thanks for the Salmon.

I've ordered my free line connection with Eircom. If your switch-over to EsatBT for BB comes through within 10 working days you might let me know on this thread as if it's that quick I'll probably go with EsatBt over Eircom for the BB and keep my fingers crossed w.r.t. their billing system.

Xcellor wrote:
    BT are great when it works. It rarely fails. Pray however you never have to phone their customer support because you will grow a beard while you wait for them to answer............................... I've now been holding 43 minutes!!!! The other day it was well over an hour and I just had to hang up.

If you get an option for them to call you back instead of being on hold take it. I've been on to them twice now and selected the callback and rang back both times within the hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Does Anyone know how long it takes for a BB Phone line to be switched over from Eircom to Esat BB? They Say 10 working days, but what is the 'Actual' Switch over time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭pugleon

Took them longer to switch ptsn then the four weeks I was waiting on dsl to be setup. This at a peek time of the year for them. I've a friend in the same situation, new house, new line. Wants bt. I'll tell you like I told him.

It'll take a while but be worth the wait. Consistant speeds over 1.75mb down, 14KB/sec up. Little or no tweeking needed. At present, from a clean line install you are looking at about four weeks from the time you ring bt to have the line activated to the time your phone and dsl are up and running. I don't see any advantage in going with Eircom, you will be getting swindled left right and centre with their pricing. And lets face it Eircom are the very reason broadbands taken so long in this damn country.

Go with BT, basically the same time and less money both long and short term.

Sparky, I could've told you that. Did you read what they sent you out at all??? Two months in advance. Same as most telcos...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Lockup

Personally from experience BT isnt the way to go. This is from a gamers point of view so if your not then it mightin matter. Last weekend my BT connection was hopeless high pings and poor download speeds. This was due to a fault in a certain exchange in Cork. The problem was resolved and an Email I sent was returned with a phone call explaining the problem. My major problem with BT is due to resetting of there connection. Before this occured at 10:00-10:30pm which was an annoyance but predictable so i could live with it. However its changed much to my annoyance. BT now resets between 7:00-7:30pm and yet again between 8:30-9:00pm. To me this unforgiveable been a gamer with 2 resets and your primetime enjoyment ruined. I'm not aware of anyother BB provider doing this and i know Eircom dont so there my reccomandtion if you play OnlineGames like me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

Dan Druff wrote:
    Yeah its 'BT' not 'Esat BT' go with us our rates are best..though after I leave the company next Friday I'll probably end up recommending someone else!!! :D

Two days ago you said "Stick with us for another two months and you will get the best BB service in Ireland"! Are U now suddenly some jocker type lad or was this just a result of long hours, lack of caffeine and/or other stimulating substances?

As for myself, lifting the anchor from BT as I do not like what I am getting.
    People here are mentioning ONLY the lack of a proper billing system. This evening, at around 11:00 (PM) my wife was trying to send an important e-mail but there was no upload/download for at least 40 min's. This is happening nearly daily. Not once a day-a few times.

Metro, here I come for a ride.

Advertisement