Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Year old mobile phone broke, what am I entitled to?

Options
  • 29-09-2005 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

My phone (sony t630 contract phone) is just under a year old and just broke. I still have the receipt. As far as I know it comes with a year manufacturers warranty, so is the shop obliged to fix it, or do I have to deal with the manufacturer? Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The shop should handle it for you, just make sure you have all the supporting documentation.

They will try and fix it a few times before they will replace it though, so be prepared to get the phone back in the same condition, but with everything wiped.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

You have a contract with the shop not the manufacturer so its up to the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ROVER

kazzer wrote:
    My phone (sony t630 contract phone) is just under a year old and just broke. I still have the receipt. As far as I know it comes with a year manufacturers warranty, so is the shop obliged to fix it, or do I have to deal with the manufacturer? Thanks for your help.

The toggle button on my T630 phone started acting up so I checked my receipt it was bought 30.9.04 I dropped in into the shop I bought it from on the 29.9.05 they informed me it was under warranty with no cost and it will take about 2 weeks to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

It's quicker to send it straight to the manufacturer in general but you can send it back with the shop too.
    You might also have an upgrade since it's almost a year old so you could do that too maybe? Just keep the other as a spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

Thanks guys. One thing they did say was if it was found to be "beyond economical repair" I will be charged €10 for carriage. Rip off or what!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Beyond economical repair would mean you damaged it.
    Anyway which shop said they'd charge you for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Dan Druff

You get nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

Anyway which shop said they'd charge you for that?

One of the O2 stores.

Just got the phone back, so hopefuly its ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭mlink73

kazzer wrote:
    Thanks guys. One thing they did say was if it was found to be "beyond economical repair" I will be charged €10 for carriage. Rip off or what!

That means they've found a fault which is not covered under the warranty. I was working for Vodafone in the past and we had a lot of these cases. Basically it means that they've found either a crack or liquid damage inside the phone.

In that case I would call customer service and ask them to entitle you for an update a bit earlier. Explain the situation, tell them you need a phone now, otherwise you are paying for a service you can't even use. If they still don't do it, ask for their supervisor and be a bit more aggressive. Believe me, in 99% of all the cases it worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭JungleBunny

Depending on the value of the phone, you can also claim through your house insurance and at least get some of the money back that you paid for the phone.
    Worked for me and it was great.
    Nothing the shop/manufacturer could do about it. So I claimed on the house insurance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement