Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diy Ftth

• 29-09-2005 7:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭

How much would it cost to bring fibre to your house? Say, if I'm about 100m or so from an eircom exchange?

Is it the eircom exchange that you'd want to roll it to, or or is there some other node?

Also, if it is the eircom exchange you roll it to, who do you sign up with for the BB? Could you get a special package from them?

I'm just curious to know. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

no
    no
    and no

Fibre starts at a few thousand a month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Yook

Fair enough, but hows about answering the questions.

I did answer them...
    Would you like to be spoonfed?
    Ok...*sigh*

How much would it cost to bring fibre to your house? Say, if I'm about 100m or so from an eircom exchange? <<<<< 2000 a month, most likely more.

Is it the eircom exchange that you'd want to roll it to
    <<<<< no.
    Also, if it is the eircom exchange you roll it to, who do you sign up with for the BB? Could you get a special package from them? <<<< no

QED.
    You wont be getting fibre in ireland to your house any time soon. (ie not before 2020)

Wow, who let you be a MOD? how immature. Im sorry, but my questions weren't yes or no. If you're too lazy to answer anything correctly, don't.

EDIT: you still didn't answer all of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

oi, yook. NOOO!

seriously though, it's just how fuzzy said. if you want fibre to your home you'll be remortgaging. every month.

unless you happen to own chelsea anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Yook wrote:
    How much would it cost to bring fibre to your house? Say, if I'm about 100m or so from an eircom exchange?

Is it the eircom exchange that you'd want to roll it to, or or is there some other node?

Also, if it is the eircom exchange you roll it to, who do you sign up with for the BB? Could you get a special package from them?

Do you mean physically? Or as in the FTTH BB/Digi-TV products that Magent have? Or as in a direct fibre link?

My office was offered fibre by NTL and the prices staretd at ~€32,000 per annum. We would also have to pay for the excavation and works to connect us to the fibre trunk, IIRC. However I'd imagine if you twisted their arm you'd get the works free. This is for 1mb symmetric uncontended BTW.

aye, Like I said Yook, its going to cost in the thousands to get fibre to your house.
    Also, unless you live in certain parts of large cities, youre going to have to pay for (Like wizzard said) digging up roads etc.

No need for the personal abuse, etc. It's not like I get paid to answer your questions.

vibe666: :) at your sig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Yook wrote:

eircom will never let you near their exchanges unless you are a licensed operator. And what do you plan to do when you get there with fibre?

"hey lads, can I just plug this in over there"

Unless you have increidbly deep pockets FTTH is not feasable and a backbone network to support it.

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    aye, Like I said Yook, its going to cost in the thousands to get fibre to your house.
    Also, unless you live in certain parts of large cities, youre going to have to pay for (Like wizzard said) digging up roads etc.

No need for the personal abuse, etc. It's not like I get paid to answer your questions.

vibe666: :) at your sig.

Sorry about earlier but you were being condecending tbh, I just really wanted to know how feasable FTTH is, it seems Magnet is rolling out around my area. But I think they're only doing apartment blocks and stuff.

I just wanted to know if it was possible and who the fibre would go to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

I got a quote about a year ago to see how much it would cost to get fibre into our apartment block.

Linking to the nearest fibre ring (Aurora, about 300 metres away, via city streets) - approx €25,000 installation. Digging up streets is expensive! (One of the things that makes it expensive is that the contractor has to lodge a bond with Dublin City Council warranting the street surface for 12 months afterwards... and getting these bonds back is apparently quite difficult!)

Monthly rental - from about €600 for 10 Mbps up to around €1500 for 100 Mbps. This is just for bandwidth on the fibre itself, to get you connected to one of the other customers on the ring; you still need to get your Internet feed from one of these guys, at whatever rate you can negotiate.

We never got around to pricing the Internet connectivity, since it was fairly obvious we wouldn't be going that route ... unfortunately :-(

• Advertisement
Advertisement