Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keane to leave United?

• 29-09-2005 7:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/sport/

On the face of it, it looks like he's finally ready to move to Celtic, but I wonder if it's just another negotiating tactic to get a new deal from the board? Glazer and his mob will be desperate to do anything to keep the fans onside - including giving Keane a new deal.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Maybe, although I do expect to see him brought in at the backroom staff.
    Fergie won't be around forever, and I still expect Carlos to take over.
    Carlos lacks the motivational skills of Fergie, but has the tactical proess.
    Keane has that motivational/beat you up skill, and I expect when Fergie retires it'll be a Carlos/Keane management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Keano to Celtic you beauty :D

Keane reveals United exit plans
    29/09/2005

Roy Keane has stunned Manchester United by revealing he expects to leave Old Trafford at the end of the season.

The Irishman’s contract is due to expire in the summer and it was widely assumed he would be given at least an extra year, possibly to combine playing duties with a coaching role.

However, in a live MUTV phone-in, Keane has rejected any likelihood of moving straight onto Alex Ferguson’s backroom staff and feels it will be the end of the season before United chief executive David Gill decides whether the 34-year-old will be handed an extension, by which time it will be too late.

“I would like to play another year or two but I do not think it will be at Manchester United,” he said.

“I would be surprised if I was offered a new contract and even if I was, I would not expect it to be until the end of the season but by then I will have already made a decision about what I am going to do.

“There comes a time for everybody when they have to move on and I am prepared to play elsewhere.

“I think it will be good to experience a different dressing room. It wouldn’t be an English team though, coming back to Old Trafford and going into the away dressing room would be too hard for me to stomach.”

The last statement is bound to alert Celtic, as Keane has made no secret of his desire to play for the Parkhead club at some stage in his career.

Although he is currently sidelined with a broken foot, the prospect of United without Keane is virtually unthinkable.

The fiery midfielder has been the inspiration behind Sir Alex Ferguson’s side since he first arrived as a raw youngster from Nottingham Forest in 1993, making 480 senior appearances and playing a major role in almost all United’s successes.

Even though he missed the 1999 Champions League Final, the £3.75million Ferguson splashed out to secure his services will probably go down as some of the best money ever spent by United.

However, it appears the United boss is losing his battle to keep Keane at the club.

When the Cork-born player first mooted his intention to quit this summer in the middle of last season, he immediately received a telephone call from Ferguson informing him the Scot would be the man who decides when the midfielder will sever his ties with Old Trafford.

Ferguson’s position is not likely to have changed. Indeed, he will probably be reeling at tonight’s announcement.

But the harsh reality is if Keane is offered a new deal, it would almost certainly be for one year only and then on a pay-per-play basis, whereas at Celtic would almost certainly offer a better overall deal.

In addition, Keane’s departure has also been anticipated within the United hierarchy.

One very senior Old Trafford official confided in private recently that the player may move away, before eventually returning to join the coaching staff.

“I am not putting a gun to anybody’s head,” said Keane.

“But my gut reaction last season was this would be my last year and I still feel that way.

“You have to learn and be prepared to move on. Life will not stop when I leave Manchester United.

“It might be an opportunity to go into management or coaching somewhere else and it is best to make a clean break because coaching at Manchester United doesn’t really appeal.”

Keane has made no secret of his desire to follow former Red Devils’ skippers Steve Bruce and Bryan Robson into management and intends to complete his UEFA coaching badges over the next few months.

But, interested lower league clubs who feel they may be able to attract the most influential domestic player of his generation, might be advised to look elsewhere.

“I don’t want to look too far ahead because I want to play on for a bit yet but I wouldn’t want to drop too far down,” he said.

“Your first job in management is an important one. I would like to go to a club with ambition, a decent fan base and some decent players.”

Meanwhile, Keane said his international future would be thrashed out with Ireland coach Brian Kerr if his country failed to qualify for next summer's World Cup.

The midfielder, who won the first of his 67 caps against Chile in 1991, came out of international retirement to try to help steer Brian Kerr’s team to Germany next year and make up for missing out on the last tournament following his infamous pre-competition bust-up with Mick McCarthy.

His current injury rules him out of next month’s double-header with Cyprus and Switzerland and also possibly any play-off should the Republic secure second spot in their group.

“I still think we have a chance to qualify,” he said.

“If we don’t, we will I have to talk to Brian and see what happens but I don’t want to cross that bridge before I get to it.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Sod Celtic, he'd be better off at Cork City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Sod Celtic, he'd be better off at Cork City.
    ^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

i hope to god he doesnt go to celtic. :(

we dont need two 35's in the mid of the park..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Is this just an attempt to put pressure on the united board to offer him a contract before Jan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dubai anyone? :D

Mike.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Leonard wrote:
    Is this just an attempt to put pressure on the united board to offer him a contract before Jan?

I dont think so. He said in the middle of last season that he was going to leave at the end of this season but Alex Ferguson kind of made him change his mind. Looks like he has gone back to his riginal decision to leave. He will probably end up at Celtic as he has always said he wants to finish his career with the Bhoys

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

“I think it will be good to experience a different dressing room

Hmmm is this a dig at fergie?

Has been no secret that the coaching staff and management dont see eye to eye over the 4-5-1, and lets not forget the Rio thing and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

“It might be an opportunity to go into management or coaching somewhere else and it is best to make a clean break because coaching at Manchester United doesn’t really appeal.”

Why is that does anybody know????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Keano is off to Celtic as he always planned. He better like peanuts cos he won't get 100,000 a week there. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

He'll get whatever he wants at Celtic, rats and sinking ships comes to mind. It is obvious that he thinks he won't win much more at United, which is prob not too far off the mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

It's been coming for a while, but it still makes me sad, both for Roy and Man Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭SteM

......rats and sinking ships comes to mind. It is obvious that he thinks he won't win much more at United, which is prob not too far off the mark.

You really think that's why he's leaving or are you being sarcastic? The guy knows his time at United is up, his contract finishes at the end of the season and he said that his gut feeling is that if a new offer is made that it won't be until April. He wants his future sorted out before then, by January which I suppose means he'll sign an agreement with some team then.

If you saw the whole interview you'd have seen it as a man who realises that his time at a big club is nearly up, he said it himself something like 'there are some decent young players coming through here that deserve a chance' and 'there's always a danger of staying on somewhere a year too long, some of the fans think that might have happened already'.

If it was younger players like Rooney, Rio or Ronaldo talking like this then you could come up with the rats from a sinking ship comment but for a player coming to the end of his carer I think it's way off the mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

TBH - I am not sure he is able to play anywhere next season - I would think he is trying to ensure a ciaching role at United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I don't believe he is posturing for a new deal. I'd say he realises the engine is not what it used to be and being the professional that he is if he can't give 100% he has decided to move on. I wish him all the best and thank him for the wonderful service he has given United. He will long be remembered by United fans.

I wouldn't read too much into him not wanting to coach at United, It would make sense for him to learn his trade in a less pressured atmosphere and see how it goes. If he is as good a coach as he was a player I would have no doubt that we will see him back at united in some capacity in the future.

Thanks for the memories Keano and the best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Keane is well used to jumping ship :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

I cant say I am suprised we all new it was his last year so I dont know what the big deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

I think that he could give a lot to the young players at Celtic.

young Lennon of Spurs has started to play very well recently and he credits this to Edgar Davids helping him out.

If Keane could do that for Maloney or some of the other young players at celtic that would be great.
    Keane says he learned his professionalism from Stuart Pearce at forest.
    I'm sure youngsters could learn alot from Keane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Will be sad to see him go but its the right time to go IMO. Guy has been an absolute legend for united and we should just make the most of him while hes still here. Wouldnt it be sweet to send him out with a champions league medal around his neck (lets face it league is gone).

Can understand him wanting to experience another dressing room before coaching. Hes constantly looking to learn - sign of a potentially great manager.

Chance for Fergie to sign Ballack (135k Sterling a week in wages freed up) and maybe blood the likes of David Jones before the season is up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

The Muppet wrote:
    I don't believe he is posturing for a new deal. I'd say he realises the engine is not what it used to be and being the professional that he is if he can't give 100% he has decided to move on. I wish him all the best and thank him for the wonderful service he has given United. He will long be remembered by United fans.
    I find it puzzling that you think this, yet are prepared to jump down other United fans throats if they apply the same logic to Ferguson.

Aside from that I agree whole-heartedly with what you said. It's in his own interest to see a bit more of the footballing world having been raised for almost all of his top flight career by a single coach in a single dressing room.

I am far from Keane's biggest fan but I even feel somewhat disappointment for him, as despite all he has won he will probably look back on his career with regret and disappointment in parts.

I almost wish he could lift the league title (or CL) in his final season as a proper send off, alas I don't think that is going to happen, which would be another disappointment for him I'm sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Why are people speculating that he's just posturing for an extension of his contract? The guy is 34 FFS. He's at the end of his career and the way he's always played his football it's impossible for him to continue for much longer at a top level club like Utd. It's not as if he's 29 and saying the same.
    I find it puzzling that you think this, yet are prepared to jump down other United fans throats if they apply the same logic to Ferguson.
    I think that's slightly unfair, The Muppet said that he thinks Keane physically can't give 100% at at his age and tbh that's hard to argue with. A Manager doesn't have to run up and down a pitch for 90 minutes.

B.

Sorry can you link to where I "jumped down someones throat". AS far as I,m concerned I posted an opinion that was at oods with other users here and was verbally abused for doing so. Whether they were fellow United supporters or not is irrelevant to meas I try to see past club loyalties when contributing to any topic.

The reason for the difference between my opinion on Roy and Fergie is simple and very logical and I,m surprised you can not see the difference.

Roy is a player who always relied on his engine to get hime through the workload on the pitch, He is aging now and no longer able to produce performances of the standard he has set himself consistantly.

Fergieb the Manager needs different skills, skills that do no not necessarily diminish with age. I still believe he is a great Manager and has a lot still to give United and will make the tough decisions needed for the good of the team. In fact I suspect that was the reason for Roys comments last night.

Aside from that I agree whole-heartedly with what you said. It's in his own interest to see a bit more of the footballing world having been raised for almost all of his top flight career by a single coach in a single dressing room.

I am far from Keane's biggest fan but I even feel somewhat disappointment for him, as despite all he has won he will probably look back on his career with regret and disappointment in parts.

I almost wish he could lift the league title (or CL) in his final season as a proper send off, alas I don't think that is going to happen, which would be another disappointment for him I'm sure

[humour]

I'll print that and Frame it. ;)

[/humour]

It shouldn't be necessary but the Humour tags for those lacking in the sense of humour departmment .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Loving or hating Keane is irrelevant. United are nowhere near the same team without him and a lot of United's dominance IMO should be credited to him. I know that Keane is a bit underqualified for the United job but i'd love to see somebody with his atitude take the job when fergie goes. If that means Keane goin elsewhere to learn his trade then grand. United are not able to compete with chelski in the transfer market and at the moment are not competing with them in their desire to win trophies. With somebody like Keane in charge the winning mentality would return. Having said all that, i think if Keane were to become a manager of a top club the likes of Mourinho,Wenger and Benitez would expose him tactically, that would be his big test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

The Muppet wrote:
    Sorry can you link to where I "jumped down someones throat". AS far as I,m concerned I posted an opinion that was at oods with other users here and was verbally abused for doing so. Whether they were fellow United supporters or not is irrelevant to meas I try to see past club loyalties when contributing to any topic.

The reason for the difference between my opinion on Roy and Fergie is simple and very logical and I,m surprised you can not see the difference.

Roy is a player who always relied on his engine to get hime through the workload on the pitch, He is aging now and no longer able to produce performances of the standard he has set himself consistantly.

Fergieb the Manager needs different skills, skills that do no not necessarily diminish with age. I still believe he is a great Manager and has a lot still to give United and will make the tough decisions needed for the good of the team. In fact I suspect that was the reason for Roys comments last night.
    Of course there is a difference between manager and player, but that said Ferguson is hardly a spring chicken in terms of other managers. He's well into his 60s, and it's not like he has had a stress free career!

I just don't think it's unreasonable for someone to have a similar opinion on Ferguson to that of yours on Keane. Whether Ferguson has more to offer the club is very debatable (and something I don't want to get into) seeing as he has already given his all. They are both legends to the club but time will eventually come for them to move on.

I think Keane has shown his humility in making this choice, perhaps Ferguson is too proud to go out on a low note.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

If United let him go it would be a huge mistake. Keane needs to stay until we can sort out our problems at midfield. If he leaves and the midfield is the way it is then we're screwed.

I just don't think it's unreasonable for someone to have a similar opinion on Ferguson to that of yours on Keane.

Neither do I think that would be unreasonable, I just wouldn't agree with them.

Now wheres the link to me jumping down somes throat for expressing such an opinion on Fergie?
    PORNAPSTER wrote:
    If United let him go it would be a huge mistake. Keane needs to stay until we can sort out our problems at midfield. If he leaves and the midfield is the way it is then we're screwed.

I would like to think think that his replacement has already been lined up, there is no other way I would want to see Keano being sold. I agree if he is sold and not replaced immediately by a world class player in the mold of a young Roy the future looks bleak.

Don't forget the current formation is really in place to facilitate keeping Roy in midfield, a younger (quality) player would enable United to return to the 4 4 2 without the risk of being over run in the middle of the park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Keano_sli

PORNAPSTER wrote:

On the contrary as long as Keane remains the midfiled problems will not be sorted out as the manger will feel he can fall back on Keane if another player is not up to the job. If Roy is not available then Sir Alex will be forced to go out and find a replacement who is already a proven player, now who that will be I can't say.
    What I can say is that Roy has been one of the best players the club has ever seen and will be wished the best by all United fans fro all his contributions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Keano_sli wrote:
    On the contrary as long as Keane remains the midfiled problems will not be sorted out as the manger will feel he can fall back on Keane if another player is not up to the job. If Roy is not available then Sir Alex will be forced to go out and find a replacement who is already a proven player, now who that will be I can't say.
    What I can say is that Roy has been one of the best players the club has ever seen and will be wished the best by all United fans fro all his contributions.

i agree with this from top to bottom. I think we should have bought that young player a couple of years ago so we could phase him in alongside keano but the reason i refer to this player as "that young player" is because i havent a notion of who we could bring in. If we got someone who could make even half the impact keane has made i would be quite happy. Anybody have suggestions on candidates for a potential replacement. No, alright i'll have a go then:

Ballack - Quality player,good leader, skillful but not a long term solution
    Gerard - No point listing his attributes he'd never come to ManU
    Smith - Dont think so, Doesnt cut it in midfield
    Mikael - Wants to go to chelsea
    De Jong - Better at right full than in midfield
    Diarra - Good midfield player, essien got all the praise, i think this guy is a better holding player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

If Ballack goes to United they still have to replace Keane. Ballack is an attacking midfielder and wouldn't be known for his defensive attributes.

I'd love to see Keane at Celtic to replace Lennon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Don't forget the current formation is really in place to facilitate keeping Roy in midfield, a younger (quality) player would enable United to return to the 4 4 2 without the risk of being over run in the middle of the park.

I'm not so sure it is. Even with Keane out of it for a couple months he still insists on playing it. I think he thinks that its he way forward. I'd agree its a good formationa way from home in the champs league/ top english clubs but at home and against other premiership clubs i'd prefer a more standard 4-4-2.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

The Muppet wrote:

How about you posting a link to where you say you were verbally abused. You may or may not be referring to me, but I dont think I have ever verbally abused you or any other fellow member here on boards. I know we have had our differences in the past but hey, I actually quite look forward to reading your views and your opinions on all things United and football in general.

As I have said on here in the past, we all have opinions and sometimes we all think that we are right, but thats what makes this place so entertaining.

Advertisement