Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Us Jurisprudence and equal treatment

Options
  • 29-09-2005 8:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭

Came across this on the net entitled Know what USA does to its own Mohamed Atta's ?? and suggesting double standards. I didnt check out the references made to court cases. anyone want to deny them?
    It made me think of Guantanamo and due process
    Remember the My Lai massacre in Vietnam ?

Lt William Calley ????

Slaughtered an entire village !

On Purpose !

Know what we did to him ? What justice he got ??

We let him go !!!!

Lt. William Calley was convicted for his role in leading the 1968
    massacre of Vietnamese civilians at My Lai. His conviction was later
    overturned by Judge Robert Elliott. Calley now runs a jewelry business
    near Ft. Benning in Columbus, Georgia. Elliott is still a judge in
    Columbus, but he's apparently no longer in the pardoning business.

In late July, Elliott handed out long prison sentences to five
    opponents of the U.S. Army's School of the Americas. The peace
    protesters had altered a sign at Ft. Benning's main entrance to read
    "Home of School of Americas/School of Shame" and "SOA=Torture." For
    that they received sentences of 12 to 18 months. Judge Elliott did not
    explain why Calley, convicted of directing the massacre of 500 people,
    was released while the peace activists, convicted of protesting the
    U.S. support for human rights violations throughout Latin America,
    were sent to prison.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭xm15e3

ISAW wrote:
    It made me think of Guantanamo and due process

Gitmo is probably relevant, and had it not been for Nixon's pandering to popular opinion, there wouldn't even be an appearance hypocrisy. Calley would have suffered death by hard labor by now.

Screwing around with UCMJ has bad consequences. However, as far as equal treatment under the law (UCMJ), they have it. Under UCMJ they can be held indefinitely (since they don't qualify as POWs), do not have a right to advocacy unless charged, ect.

The protestors are in the hands of the Judicial Branch. Claiming equal treatment in their case is bogus, they are under two different legal systems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

xm15e3 wrote:
    Gitmo is probably relevant, and had it not been for Nixon's pandering to popular opinion, there wouldn't even be an appearance hypocrisy. Calley would have suffered death by hard labor by now.

Screwing around with UCMJ has bad consequences. However, as far as equal treatment under the law (UCMJ), they have it. Under UCMJ they can be held indefinitely (since they don't qualify as POWs), do not have a right to advocacy unless charged, ect.

The protestors are in the hands of the Judicial Branch. Claiming equal treatment in their case is bogus, they are under two different legal systems.

This has been discussed so much here in boards...that I'm just going to say....

Wrong on all counts!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Advertisement