Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Bashing Protest

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Health Project

GLEN has scheduled a public meeting to take place in Outhouse, the gay community resource centre in Capel Street Dublin, to address the issue of safety outside gay venues in Dublin. Those attending will include Garda Superintendents from the relevant Garda districts. The meeting will take place at 7.30 pm on Monday the 17th of October.

Following on from our press release regarding attacks on young gay people, GLEN has organised a public meeting around this issue. Those attending this meeting will include Garda Superintendents from the relevant Garda districts and venue managers. This public meeting will take place on Monday 17th October at 7.30pm please note there is a change in the venue it will now take place in The Central Hotel, corner of Exchequer Street and Georges Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Following on from our press release regarding attacks on young gay people, GLEN has organised a public meeting around this issue. Those attending this meeting will include Garda Superintendents from the relevant Garda districts and venue managers. This public meeting will take place on Monday 17th October at 7.30pm please note there is a change in the venue it will now take place in The Central Hotel, corner of Exchequer Street and Georges Street.

Is the Southern Gay Men's Health Project taking gay bashing into it's mandate?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I would presume Liouville that that is a quote from GLEN

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I realise that. The question still stands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

I can somewhat see your point here dublindude but your long-haired example is somewhat off in that your orientation can be an important, integral, immutable part of yourself whereas your hair isn't.

Actually, I'd disagree with this to an extent. Hair is something that's heavily important to me. I'd feel suicidal if it was all cut off.

I think it's all the same kind of people (usually Skangers) that target gays, long hairs, whatever. It's all another node of the same battle. Promoting acceptance in one area makes people more lenient in another. That's why family groups and the right fear activists so much.

I think the right to wear the fibre that grows from YOUR head is a pretty basic one. I don't like that society can enforce an appearance on you in the way it often does. As long as you're not truly offending, I don't see anything wrong with anyone dressing how they like and see it as a great crime if anyone says otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

Rozie wrote:
    I think the right to wear the fibre that grows from YOUR head is a pretty basic one. I don't like that society can enforce an appearance on you in the way it often does. As long as you're not truly offending, I don't see anything wrong with anyone dressing how they like and see it as a great crime if anyone says otherwise.

Did I doze off and miss some law regarding hairstyling? or new societal norm? Or is this in some alternate reality some posters seem to inhabit ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I don't know, but apparently Rozie's hair is high in fibre.

Advertisement