Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCAS :confused:

Options
  • 29-09-2005 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

Hey

Ok so I'm applyin to UCAS soon! I am however very confused :confused: I don't want to sound snobby aobut this but I will be, because after all this is my future (which I have already screwed up by ending up on crutches and missing the last few days of school) Any who I really don't know which colleges are up to Irish standard! Here are the list of places that do pharmacy! If anyone could give me there two cents I would greatly appreciate it! If anyone else wants to post about UCAS post away :D

Anglia Polytechnic University

Complementary Medicine

Aston University

University of Bath

The University of Bradford

University of Brighton

University of the West of England, Bristol

Cardiff University

De Montfort University

University of East Anglia

University of Greenwich

University of Hertfordshire

The University of Huddersfield (H60) qualification

Keele University (K12) qualification

King's College London (University of London) (K60) qualification

Kingston University (K84) qualification

University of Lincoln (L39) qualification

Liverpool John Moores University (L51) qualification

London Metropolitan University (L68) qualification

The University of Manchester (M20) qualification

Pharmacy (B230) 4FT Hon MPharm

Medway School of Pharmacy (M62) qualification

Napier University, Edinburgh (N07) qualification

The University of Nottingham (N84) qualification

Nottingham Trent University (N91) qualification

University of Portsmouth (P80) qualification

Queen's University Belfast (Q75) qualification

The University of Reading (R12) qualification

The Robert Gordon University (R36) qualification

The University of Strathclyde (S78) qualification

University of Sunderland (S84) qualification

University of Westminster (W50) qualification

University of Wolverhampton (W75) qualification

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

my friend has gone to the University of Brighton this year to do pharmacy! she got 530 in the leaving but woz however many pts short...i could find out about that for u!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

That would be great! Thanks a million :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

heh, when I read the word 'pharmacy' being combined with 'UCAS' I instantly thought Brighton. A few girls from my school headed off there, and they like it.

Good luck! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 smoocher

whats the closing date for applying to the ucas sytem, i heard its some time in october but im sure exactly when?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭cookiemonst3r

The closing date for dentistry, medecine and veterinary is sometime in October. The deadline for other subjects is sometime nxt yr.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

Its January 2006 for all other subjects :D
    Btw thanks Aoibheann Brady :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

The 6th form college I go to has everyone writing up their personal statements and doing mock application forms already. A word of advice for you is to get all your references, personal statement and any other info. required of you sorted asap. The earlier you apply the bigger your chance to get in. It's nothing like the CAO. Sometimes they let you in over here even if you don't quite have the grades but are able to prove to them that you'd really work for it.

If you need any help with UCAS just pm me. We've been taught everything about it to death at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭thegloriousend

One of my friends is off to Brighton for pharmacy, must be the place to be. He was accepted after falling short of his conditional offer, and I think he got around 470pts

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

deadline for Medicine/dentistry/veterinary is 15th October, but yeah, the rest are like January as was said. I'm applying for Medicine(also Pharmacy and genetics) so I've to apply by the 15th. Working on the personal statement, it's tough because even if you get loads of help or none at all, it all comes down to you anyway..key word being personal and all. Basically just try and gear it towards the course(s) you're applying for. Just any background in it/what made you interested...oh and also achievements or whatever to show them you're the candidate they want in their college. Like say, if you're a prefect or whatever, mention it, they (presumably) like maturity/responsibility in a potential student. Anything like that, or so I've been told.
    Yeah, I have way too much useless(though some possibly useful) information on various college-y type stuff. Researching always helps though, gives extra options.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Anglia Polytechnic University

I go there...currently in the film studies and 20th century european history course. (last year)

Its a pretty good place. The course are all rated highly (my film studies is rated 5th in the country by the gaurdian) I know optometry and zoology are among the best. Havnt heard much from pharmacy, but that can be a different area completely to me (2 campuses one in cambridge, one in chelmsford)

What i must warn about is that while the courses themselves are good, the university's structure and organisation is one of the worse in the country. This wont affect the subject but registering arranging your classes, advice, the studant union, paying etc, expect the worse. Last year some genius decided to put all the history courses on the one day and the classes conflicted each other in the scheduale resulting in weeks of moving and shunting of the classes.

Kingston University (K84) qualification

i have a friend there, she's doing radiology, but its meant to be quite a good university for anything medical related.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

d4gurl, as you know im studying pharmacy at the minute, and a lot of the graduates in my class did research into UK universities, and I've heard them saying Brighton and Aberdeen are 2 of the best. Or they were when they were looking into them (we're going into 2nd year now).

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

What is UCAS???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

its the English equivalent of the CAO AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Lord Oz wrote:
    What is UCAS???

More info http://www.ucas.ac.uk/

Word of warning to anyone applying to UCAS : Deadlines aren't until January for most courses. That doesn't mean that you should wait to send in your UCAS forms. Send them in ASAP. A lot of courses fill up very fast. They don't wait until January to sort through them, they go through them as they get them. I'd advise sorting it all out now to avoid losing out on your course because you were the last person to apply.

Advertisement