Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Going to view Golf GTi on Saturday...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

shayser wrote:
    Going to view this on saturday.

http://carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=292085

What d'ya think. Good deal?

Well your saving about €5,000 ~ €6,000 on the price of a new one - seems a good price - but I would be pushing to get it for about the €29,000 ~ €29,500 mark. Make sure that its not on finance - don't want some bailiffs seizing the car 6 months down the road. :eek:

Negatives from my point of view - its silver (too common) and its a four door (too fuddy duddy) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Its a lot of money for a run of the mill car, remember VW's aren't what they used to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Well your saving about €5,000 ~ €6,000 on the price of a new one - seems a good price - but I would be pushing to get it for about the €29,000 ~ €29,500 mark. Make sure that its not on finance - don't want some bailiffs seizing the car 6 months down the road. :eek:

Negatives from my point of view - its silver (too common) and its a four door (too fuddy duddy) :)

How do I check the finance situation?

He's not moving at all on the price. It's got a €1500 (his figure) tracking system.

junkyard wrote:
    Its a lot of money for a run of the mill car, remember VW's aren't what they used to be.

I know the last couple of GTIs have been a bit stodgy but I've heard this model back on form again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

shayser wrote:
    How do I check the finance situation?

He's not moving at all on the price. It's got a €1500 (his figure) tracking system.

You have to do a HPI check - see the thread below from www.octane.ie for details of tel numbers / prices for the service etc. :)

http://www.octane.ie/cult/forum/showthread.php?t=2095&highlight=finance

If he is not budging on the price id walk - plenty more (and nicer) new type GTI's will be on the market shortly - just bide your time and one just right will show up. :)

• Advertisement

You have to do a HPI check - see the thread below from www.octane.ie for details of tel numbers / prices for the service etc. :)

If he is not budging on the price id walk - plenty more (and nicer) new type GTI's will be on the market shortly - just bide your time and one just right will show up. :)

Thanks for the heads up on the HPI.

Regarding the price, he's 3k cheaper than the dealers, and according to cbg and the others, there's not too many 2005 GTIs about.

I'm very tempted...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 TE0N

From what ive read, the new GTi is THE hot hatch to have, beats everything in group tests.

Unlike the Civic Type-Rs or Clios cups, the GTi is great round town or when you dont want all the preformance, but when you want to give it some, it will deliver the same if not better than anything in its class. The power its supposed to me more accessible too (spead better over the rev band).

That cars look good, as said pity its the 5 door, i think the rear side windows look so much better in the 3 door; as they slope towards the rear window. That said, this car probably wont be for sale for long.

Forget the old underpowed Gtis, this is supposed to be like a "modern original".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Thatssssss nice :) note they are the most popular can in Ireland 'on order' so be sure to get a good alarm if you buy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Was talking to a stealer yesterday about one,didn't get a drive as he hadn't one there but will get a drive in his own one someday next week.

The numbers he was talking were good too,would be tempted.

Told me I'd want to order in the next 2 weeks for delivery mid to late January

Had a quick look at this one(was pi**ing rain and I was in a hurry) but looked very nice

http://carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=284951

I often wonder why nearly new cars are sold on.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Lots of different reasons for selling on nearly new. I'm selling my car, which I got in March this year, 6000 KM on the clock. Reason is that we're expecting twins and need the extra space. Ordered the car this time last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

Hmmmm. :confused:
    junkyard wrote:

It is definitely not a run of the mill car.
    It’s hard, really, to think of any car that does anything like as much, anything like as well. Verdict Simply the most complete car on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

it's poor form when you can spend almost 40 grand on a car and still not get climate control as standard.

AlanD wrote:
    it's poor form when you can spend almost 40 grand on a car and still not get climate control as standard.

This is true, and I've got misgivings about it. But it's got a sunroof and other features as standard that are options on most other cars. This particular model's got factory fitted alarm and the owner-added tracking device which let's me immobilise the car with a phone call. It's five months old and 5k cheaper than new. I would rather the three door but need the five, so it suits me.

I've read all the reviews going and there's not a bad word to be said about this car anywhere.

I test drove the new Volvo S50 1.8 and the Honda Accord 2.0 Vtec and to be honest I thought they were nothing special perfromance wise.

In this price range is there any one car that has absoloutely everything??

Think I've done a good enough job of convincing myself at this stage!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

AlanD wrote:

yea was shocked by that too.It's standard on the UK model,I thought the days of stripped down Irish models were gone.
    What's more Climate costs something around €2400 extra - jebus !! Although the stealer pointed out that I could forego the sunroof and get it for 'only' 1200(which I would do if I was buying one)

Seven Worlds will Collide

In fairness, I think it's a great price for the car. If it at least as a/c I think you're doing well. That tracker is a good thing to have for a car that is so desirable by the undesirables too.

You test drove the S50? Do you mean the S40 saloon or the V50 estate? The 1.8 would be poor enough, but if you find yourself a 2.0 Diesel in SE, it will have everything and it goes like the clappers too with great fuel economy too. I like the S40 a lot.

Rang HPI and there is still finance on the car. Do I just walk away?? Do I ask him to clear it?

Gutted..........

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The point that he didn't mention it to you would make me walk away. Something doesn't sound right about this sale to me. Maybe that is one of the reasons he is looking for €5k less than a stealer.

Just my gut feeling. Still might be worth asking him why?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

shayser wrote:

I test drove the new Volvo S50 1.8 and the Honda Accord 2.0 Vtec and to be honest I thought they were nothing special perfromance wise.

In this price range is there any one car that has absoloutely everything??

Your comparing apples and pears here. The GTi is the hot hatch version of the small family sized Golf hatchback. The Volvo S40 and Honda Accord are compact standard run of the mill saloons, they are not performance versions of the range. A more realistic comparison to the Golf GTi is the Civic Type R not the Accord.

The current Civic Type R has a 2.0 197bhp (non turbo) engine and is an excellent drive. The styling is a matter of taste and unfortunately it is now 4 years old but a new model is just around the corner.

shayser wrote:
    Rang HPI and there is still finance on the car. Do I just walk away?? Do I ask him to clear it?

Gutted..........

don't be too concerned yet cos he probably has to sell the car to get the money to clear the finance. I know if it was my car I'd need someone to pay me for the car before I cleared any finance. I did that before when I was selling a 206 CC. I needed the money first to clear the loan, but based on good faith and the creation of a transparant process that worked for me and the buyer, I had no issues selling the car.

So go look at the car anyway and talk to the owner about the finance owed. If he needs money from a buyer to clear it, then see if you can come to some arrangement that satisfies you both....like make draft out to finance company. It's not an unsual situation.

AlanD wrote:
    don't be too concerned yet cos he probably has to sell the car to get the money to clear the finance. I know if it was my car I'd need someone to pay me for the car before I cleared any finance. I did that before when I was selling a 206 CC. I needed the money first to clear the loan, but based on good faith and the creation of a transparant process that worked for me and the buyer, I had no issues selling the car.

So go look at the car anyway and talk to the owner about the finance owed. If he needs money from a buyer to clear it, then see if you can come to some arrangement that satisfies you both....like make draft out to finance company. It's not an unsual situation.

What you say makes sense. But I don't know the guy from adam and I couldn't hand over €30k on faith. I was trying to think of a way round this... I like your idea of making the draft out to the finance comapany. If he's bona fide he shouldn't have a problem with this.

One thing he did say was that it is a personal loan. Would this be flagged by HPI??

Thanks...

• Advertisement

Rang the guy and he said to make the draft out to his bank. Would I be safe enough with that??

shayser wrote:
    Rang the guy and he said to make the draft out to his bank. Would I be safe enough with that??

I think you would be safe enough. I don't know whether or not a personal loan shows up with HPI, but if you've gone to see the car and have had a chat with this guy about why he is selling it etc. in a friendly way so as not to act totally suspicious but don't be gullable either. You should get a good feel for the deal then.

Finally, call your bank and ask them about making out the draft to the other finance company. They'll know what's the right and wrong thing to do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 201 ✭✭Rodney Trotter

I would only make the draft out to whoever is the interested party, i.e. who is registered with HPI as the Finance Institution.

Is it true that if he went through a finance company they will retain the ownership papers until "paid in full", but if he purchased the car with his own personal loan then he will have been given the papers by the dealer?

If this actually is the case, then he should be able to give me the papers and all will be cushdie??

shayser wrote:
    Is it true that if he went through a finance company they will retain the ownership papers until "paid in full", but if he purchased the car with his own personal loan then he will have been given the papers by the dealer?

If this actually is the case, then he should be able to give me the papers and all will be cushdie??

Anyone know if the above is true?? Going to look at this in the morning.

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Shayser,

Since you're going in the morning and need ifno asap- I'll give you my limited understaning of it. Basically if there's financing outstanding on the car, then he didn't buy it using a personal loan. He bought it on HP (Hire Purchase). When you buy using a personal loan the loan is secured against you. But with HP it's secured against the product (in this case the GTi).

He will have the papers (i.e. the reg cert) for the car but he will technically not be the owner. This suits HP as the tax, insurance, etc, are all more simplified. However the HPI crowd have a legal claim on the car if the amounts are not repaid and this will supercede the cert (when the go to court to get an order).

So don't take having the papers as being proof that it's his. You've checked and there's finance outstanding. Now he'll probably be using the money you give him to clear the finance, but there's no proof until it happens. What normally happens here is the HP company give an option to buy the car outright and once this cost is met they release the car to the purchaser. The fact that he wants you to make the cheque to the HP company bodes well. However I'd ring the HPI company and do some checks myself.

So if you are interested, tell the seller you are, but also tell him that you'd like to let the HPI company know that you will be purchasing and transferring the ownership on the car. Then see what the HP company say.

jayok wrote:
    Shayser,

Since you're going in the morning and need ifno asap- I'll give you my limited understaning of it. Basically if there's financing outstanding on the car, then he didn't buy it using a personal loan. He bought it on HP (Hire Purchase). When you buy using a personal loan the loan is secured against you. But with HP it's secured against the product (in this case the GTi).

He will have the papers (i.e. the reg cert) for the car but he will technically not be the owner. This suits HP as the tax, insurance, etc, are all more simplified. However the HPI crowd have a legal claim on the car if the amounts are not repaid and this will supercede the cert (when the go to court to get an order).

So don't take having the papers as being proof that it's his. You've checked and there's finance outstanding. Now he'll probably be using the money you give him to clear the finance, but there's no proof until it happens. What normally happens here is the HP company give an option to buy the car outright and once this cost is met they release the car to the purchaser. The fact that he wants you to make the cheque to the HP company bodes well. However I'd ring the HPI company and do some checks myself.

So if you are interested, tell the seller you are, but also tell him that you'd like to let the HPI company know that you will be purchasing and transferring the ownership on the car. Then see what the HP company say.

Thanks for clearing that up regarding the papers.

Knowing that there was outstanding finance (after checking with HPI) I asked him if indeed there was anything outstanding. He said there was, but that he purchased the car by way of personal loan. So he's not being totally honest with me here.

I said the deal was off unless he could find someway round this. He rang back and suggested I make the cheque paybale to a bank. I wasn't too sure about this but went ahead and did it anyway as I needed to a cheque of some sort in my hand before the bank closed today at 4pm. So the cheque is made out to a bank not a HP company. I didn't think of asking HPI who the interested party were.

When I made the initial call to him late thursday night he told me that I was too late, that he had already decided to sell the car back to the dealer at less than he was advertising the car for. So we said our goodbyes. I had a think about it and as I was very interested in the car I rang him back and asked if he could put off taking the car back to the dealer and listen to my offer. I said I would bring the cash with me to Dublin on Sat and that we could have a deal done by saturday aftertoon. If I don't buy, he's taking the car back the dealer.He seemed to consider this and then agreed. So, this situation is as it is because of my persistence.

It sounds to me like he's genuine, that he's going to clear his debt with my cheque. But I cannot be sure. The HP finance/personal loan question bugs me.

It sounds to me like he's genuine, that he's going to clear his debt with my cheque. But I cannot be sure. The HP finance/personal loan question bugs me

Well with the greatest respect, you're giving him and awful lot of money and you have no idea what he's going to do with it. It is very likely that this person is genuine but you know nothing about him or his circumstances. If you give him the €29k he legs it and then the HPI company asks you for another €29k keep the car - is the Golf worth €58k?

Take your time here, I know it's easy to get excited with a new car purchase, but two more days (until Monday) won't make that much of a difference. If he's a real seller he'll wait until then - it's not like you're taking the p1ss you have the draft from the bank. If he pushes you for the draft today, then walk away.

Best of luck this morning then.

Actually just re-read your post:
    When I made the initial call to him late thursday night he told me that I was too late, that he had already decided to sell the car back to the dealer at less than he was advertising the car for. So we said our goodbyes. I had a think about it and as I was very interested in the car I rang him back and asked if he could put off taking the car back to the dealer and listen to my offer. I said I would bring the cash with me to Dublin on Sat and that we could have a deal done by saturday aftertoon. If I don't buy, he's taking the car back the dealer.He seemed to consider this and then agreed. So, this situation is as it is because of my persistence.

I would imagine that he would get a better deal off of you than any dealer. I know he's keen to off-load it (from what your telling me) but again check the car, fall-in-love with it, and explain your concern to him and you'd like to sort it out on Monday. If all is ok then you'll buy. It's not like he'll be returning the car today (needs to return it to the HP company anyway)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Was talking to a stealer yesterday about one.
    bazz26 wrote:
    he is looking for €5k less than a stealer

Stealers give much better prices than dealers ;)

WTF is a Stealer?

Advertisement