Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The President's Award

• 29-09-2005 9:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭

Our TY co-ordinator (fancy name for form teacher) told us about this President's Award, where you do 4 different parts to it: Community Involvement, Personal skills, Physical Improvement and a Venture Activity.
    You do all these and you get a President's Award medal. Bronze, silver or gold, depending on how long you do the activities for.
    The medal is nationally recognised on CV's.
    I'm going to do it this year, when I have the extra time from study and all that. Along with about 5 others in my class
    He said a lot of TY-ers do it.

I was just wondering if many others here are doing it?
    And what are you doing for each of the activities?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Is that the gaisce award?
    Because I'm planning on doing that when I'm in ty.
    I know some people who learned to swim to do it and others who learned different languages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Yeah, it's a pretty standard thing to do in TY in my school.

As far as I know, I'm doing yoga for the physical, archiving school photographs for the community involvement, and I'll probably just use my violin as the personal skill. I wanted to take up cello but apparently I already do too much.

Also, why in GOD'S NAME are you doing study during TY? o.O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

Is that the gaisce award?
    Yeah, also called the Gaisce Award.
    Also, why in GOD'S NAME are you doing study during TY? o.O
    I'm not, I meant that I have more free time in TY, that I didn't have last year or won't have next year, because of study.
    Get me?

Anyway, I'm visiting the elderly in an old folks home for the Community, improving on guitar for personal skill and doing weights for physical. I need it, I'm so weak :( .

And for the adventure, our teacher is organising something for the six of us.
    I think we're going canoeing! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭*MmmPie*

Diarmsquid wrote:
    Our TY co-ordinator (fancy name for form teacher) told us about this President's Award, where you do 4 different parts to it: Community Involvement, Personal skills, Physical Improvement and a Venture Activity.
    You do all these and you get a President's Award medal. Bronze, silver or gold, depending on how long you do the activities for.
    The medal is nationally recognised on CV's.
    I'm going to do it this year, when I have the extra time from study and all that. Along with about 5 others in my class
    He said a lot of TY-ers do it.

I was just wondering if many others here are doing it?
    And what are you doing for each of the activities?

Yep, my whole class is doing it, so I'm doing tennis for the Physical, guitar for Personal, helping out at the Homework Club for Community and doing an anventure weekend thingy for the Adventure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Diarmsquid wrote:
    Anyway, I'm visiting the elderly in an old folks home for the Community, improving on guitar for personal skill and doing weights for physical. I need it, I'm so weak :(

Smurf are you seriously saying that you will be lifting WEIGHTS!!!

Wonder how that will turn out :rolleyes:
    Ah well good luck :D

• Advertisement

Yeah, started last night. Only Dumbells and light stuff. Not the Olympic weightlifting kind of stuff :rolleyes:. 30 minutes twice a week.

Funny thought, isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Strokesa

I'm doing it...I think everyone in my year is though!
    I want to do karate for the sport one...I don't know the proper names btw, for the community one I'm working in an old folks home 'cause we have to do something like that anyway for school and I dont know about the personal one...improve guitar or something probably, but I'd like to do something new...I think I'm going to Glendalough for the other one. To walk or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭cookiemonst3r

And for the adventure, our teacher is organising something for the six of us.I think we're going canoeing! :D

youre supposed to organise the trip yourself

Well he's deciding on what we're doing but we are organising it ourselves.
    I think. We haven't talked much about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

this is just a lame award to get people something to write on their CV....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

... and for personal development, it means more people will have more skills, and also we are helping out the community! The award is a great idea

Jakkass wrote:
    this is just a lame award to get people something to write on their CV....
    Yeah, That's one of the main reasons I'm doing it. But also, it should be a good experience.

Well, I do most of those things anyway (except for the community service), so it's just getting certification, which can only be a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭spiderlegs

Anyone Any Ideas For The Community Part Of It? I Just Dont Know What To Do For That Part...know What I'm Doin' For The Others Though :)

I'm going to visit old people in a home near where I live.
    One of my mates is joining the Order of Malta and doing the first aid course.
    You could also help a younger person with schoolwork, which is really only going into a friends little brother/sister or any kid in your area and helping them with their homework once a week.

Diarmsquid wrote:

The one on the Malahide Road by any chance??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭spiderlegs

Diarmsquid wrote:
    One of my mates is joining the Order of Malta and doing the first aid course.
    You could also help a younger person with schoolwork, which is really only going into a friends little brother/sister or any kid in your area and helping them with their homework once a week.

Ok thanks...I might help in someway like that. I also heard helping out at a scout den counts , so I'll probably do that. :D

Strokesa wrote:
    The one on the Malahide Road by any chance??
    No, the one opposite St. Paul's Swimming Pool. Sybil Hill, I think it's called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

im thinking of leaning towards this im not sure atm. I still think its kinda taking advantage of an award just for your CV

Jakkass wrote:
    im thinking of leaning towards this im not sure atm. I still think its kinda taking advantage of an award just for your CV
    What's wrong with that?
    But anyway, it's not really because you're helping the community and yourself and you get a good experience.
    Go on, go on...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Alvis

It's funny cause there are a few employers I know who dont even know what the award is at all. So there might not be much point in participating if you're doing it just for your CV. But for the experience and stuff it's cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 BlueRollingPin

My school really encourages TY students to do the Gaisce Award. I thing most people in my year are doing it. I'm being a beaver leader for the community care section, doing yoga for the new skill, going to the gym twice a week for the physical part and then probably hiking somewhere in the Wicklow Way with a friend (who's also doing the award) for the adventure.

I've started yoga and leading beavers, the adventure is being planned so all I've got to do is motivate myself to go to the gym after school... It'll be great fun, I'm sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭TalkISCheap

Scouts does indeed count... As does Cubs & Beavers. Although why you'd do Beavers is beyond me... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 BlueRollingPin

Scouts does indeed count... As does Cubs & Beavers. Although why you'd do Beavers is beyond me... :D

I like being a Beaver Leader, all the kids are so cute... And being around them makes me feel tall!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭EvilPixieOne

I'm working in oxfam for the community bit, doing ecdl or piano for the skill, and hockey, tennis or running for the physical bit. I do all that stuff anyway except for the community work so it seems a bit too easy though...

I'm working in oxfam for the community bit, doing ecdl or piano for the skill, and hockey, tennis or running for the physical bit. I do all that stuff anyway except for the community work so it seems a bit too easy though...

Aren't you supposed to start new things??
    But I guess they'll never know really.....

Strokesa wrote:
    Aren't you supposed to start new things??
    But I guess they'll never know really.....
    I don't think you have to. I'm continuing guitar and the teacher said that was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Riveta

MY GOD! that bloody thing really pisses me off!!! all the squeaky clean looser middle class kids do it to impress mummy and daddy!! and to put something on their cv.... ok mini rant over!!

I don't know anyone who decided to do the President's Award for "Mummy and Daddy". My Mam and Dad didn't want me to it at all, I wanted to do it for myself. Mainly for the venture part that we should be doing later on in the year, but also for something to put on a CV.

• Advertisement

Haha, 'squeaky clean looser middle class kids'. What, did you come straight out of an american teen movie, or have you just never spoken to a real person before?

My parents are perfectly proud of me already.

Advertisement