Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The President's Award

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭EFC-4eva

We're doing the Gaisce yeah. i'm doing Football, Self-Defence, First Aid and then a hike for the bronze medal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

Riveta wrote:
    MY GOD! that bloody thing really pisses me off!!! all the squeaky clean looser middle class kids do it to impress mummy and daddy!! and to put something on their cv.... ok mini rant over!!

If it's not constructive, no one wants to hear it. Keep your predjudices to yourself please.

For the record, I don't even do the presidents award.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭J Campion

Yeah I signed up for this too. Our teacher told us you're supposed to do something new, because that's the whole point of it. I think I'll do SVP or somethin for community, possibly learn to play the bagpipes for skill, train for a mini-triathalon for physical (the teacher is organising the triathalon) and cycle about 120 km, then climbing a large hill for adventure :eek: . Should certainly be interesting!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,935 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

Woeful merge, I know, but it was my first time!

So, what are you all doing for the venture?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Apple Gal

My friend is starting it in 3rd year. And another girl who hates me is doing it this year(3rd) too!! My friend is hiking up mountains all the time she is soooo tired all the time and looks dreadful not being mean but she just looks tired! Poor girl! Are you even allowed start it in 3rd year!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

I think you just have to be 15. Doesn't matter what year you're in.

Mmm interesting!! I tought it was just for 4th years! Ya learn somrthing new everyday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

Flashling wrote:
    So, what are you all doing for the venture?
    A few of the lads in my class doing the Gaisce are mad into canoeing and they know instructors etc so we're going canoeing on April Fools day.

"..tch.. He's not really drowning..."

We're doing training about a week before someplace, for us non-canoers.
    So it's going to be very fun and tiring.:)

• Advertisement

Am not the biggest fan of canoeing or kayake,even though my dad bought me a pink kayak! It all kinda scares me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

I'm pretty intersted in this. I've just jonied Order Of Malta Ambulnace Corps and believe theres a way of donig it through that so might do it that way. Got to get my basic first aid course out fo the way first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

I'm in 3rd year and we had a meeting for it..I'm thinkin of doing it but I'm kind of stuck for the Community Service part. Any ideas? (Please none that has already been mentioned like going to an old folks home..)

And for the Venture part, you don't have to organise it yourself. In our school, the teachers organise it but there's limited spaces. We got an application form where we have to have all the details in the 4 sections completed out. If we bring it back to our teacher in time, we can get a place for the school venture..if not we have to orgainse it ourselves which sucks.

The annoying thing is, you have to say exactly where, who and when you are working in the sections...EXACT dates and times. How are you meant to organise that? I'll have to ring up a lot of people this week.

Oh and you don't have to take up new things at all. I mean, if you're BRILLIANT at piano there's no point on doing that but if you only know a bit, your challenge could be to pass Grade 1 or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

Any new 4th years doing An Gaisce this year?

I'm doing Piano for the personal skill..
    Church choir for community..
    Basketball as my sport..
    and then the year goes on some sort of hike further down the road..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

I'm doing gaisce. I dont have to take up anything though. I'm doing swimming as my sport, Classical guitar for my skill and in our school TYs organise this concert where the proceeds go to charity and that counts as my community. Then we go on a 2 day hike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

I'm doing the bronze.

For skill I'm doing the guitar.
    For physical I'm doing swimming, or else kayaking.
    For the community thing I'm promoting some anti-litter/recycling thing around my school with a few others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Clodidah

im doing the bronze one too!
    im doing ballet for my physical
    ecdl for my skill
    red cross first aid course for my community
    and were going to achill in april fpr our venture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

in my school we are forced to do it.
    not many of us are actually interested in it,and they are forcing us which will make us resent it.
    I don't have the time to do all of these things,I have things I have to do after school and I can't give it up.

And for the Venture part, you don't have to organise it yourself.
    on the form,it says that you do have to take part in the organisation of it.

phasers - Can you not just put down the things you're doing outside school as activities? That's what I did. Only actually took up one thing which was community, and that was a dos. We just sorted old photos for the school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Does First Aid count as community?

Do the activities and stuff have to be outside school? It'd be handy if I could use the stuff I've taken up in school for An Gaisce, that way I could use Shotokan for my Physical, First Aid for Community and we do a hike and hostel trip in April which would be adventure. I'm taking Japanese outside school so that'd be a handy skill to have too.

For us it was fine to do it in school. Like, people on the basketball team used it as physical and stuff. And we even went on the trip with the school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I still haven't realised any form of advantage in doing this award, you should still be accepted for a job if you have the relevant qualifications etc.

phasers - Can you not just put down the things you're doing outside school as activities? That's what I did. Only actually took up one thing which was community, and that was a dos. We just sorted old photos for the school.
    it's nothing that qualifies for the gaisce,it's personal family matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

I'm running a drama club for first and second years in school for community, doing training in youth theatre for developing a skill, doing a walk in wicklow for venture. I am teh most un-sporty person on earth so can anyone please help me with teh sport one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Clodidah

im not sporty either so im using ballet as my physical, but if u try some sort of dancing or something it would work!! me and my friend wanted to do pole dancing as it but de form tutor said it wasnt suitable!! hehe

Or a Martian art, that's what I'm using.

Jakkas: It more shows dedication and commitment to doing something rather than like an actual qualification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭BlueSpiral

I'm doing the gaisce as well. I've got the talent show for my community, Judo for my sport and drumming for my skill. Only problem is I'm not sure what my achievement should be for my skill, as the examiners for drumming probably won't be around at the time I want to do my exam. But it should be sorted out easily.

You need to do an achievement for your skill? Can't you just -do-the skill?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

No you have to set a goal and try to achieve it. I don't know wheter you still get the award if you fail to achieve your goal though.
    Just put down something that you cant do or hope to be able to do in the next few months. Ask your teacher or coach for some ideas.

Advertisement