Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Profile permissions in XP Pro

• 29-09-2005 11:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭

I was able to do this easily in 2k pro but never had the need to in XP Pro so never tried.... till now

I have various drives (as is normal now for most ppl) and one of them is used exclusively for my "My Documents" folder. I set up a profile the other day and I want to restrict access to that folder to one of the profiles but I can’t seem to be able to do it.
    All I want is just that one profile to not be able to view the contents of one folder or drive (if that’s easier).
    I am running XP Pro SP2

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Is this drive formatted as NTFS or FAT32?
    If it's NTFS, you should be able to do this by Right-click'ing the folder... go into properties and into the Security tab... add a new user/group for the other account and check deny on everything.
    If you're using FAT32, afaik you're stuffed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you're using FAT32, afaik you're stuffed.
    at the command prompt
    Convert X: /FS:NTFS
    you can't undo it and only a working copy of NT/2K/XP/2003 can write to it 100%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

NTFS, always NTFS

here are the options I have when I go to security settings, wont let me make it private for some reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Try this...
    open an explorer window (from 'my computer' or whatever), go to Tools / Folder Options / View... scroll down to the last option 'use simple file sharing' and uncheck it.
    That might unlock access to NTFS settings... not 100% sure since it's one of the first things I disable on a new install of XP pro. ;)

• Advertisement

Try this...
    open an explorer window (from 'my computer' or whatever), go to Tools / Folder Options / View... scroll down to the last option 'use simple file sharing' and uncheck it.
    That might unlock access to NTFS settings... not 100% sure since it's one of the first things I disable on a new install of XP pro. ;)
    i could kiss you right now. thanks
    i could not fuigure it out and I was going crazy

Advertisement