Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are you a driving innie or outie?

Options
  • 30-09-2005 2:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭

Simple question.

In Racing games, do you use the internal view or the external view?

I use internal for most racing games. except the mario kart ones.

Racing games like Burnout and daytona, the inside view gives the best feeling of speed and also allows me to aim up my turns and takedowns better.

I guess in more serious racing games (which i never have enough time for) i would still keep internal.

But mario kart games and ilk i would use external due to the weapons and more unusual course designs.

And when its internal it has to be bumber internal...feel that tarmac.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Can you even use an internal view for Mario Kart? Probably in Double Dash!! now that I think of it...

Internal gives a great sense of speed but usually I suddenly realise that I'm playing worse so I change back to external. Just used to it I guess. I'd imagine an internal view would be difficult for such games like the Burnout series, what with all the takedowns and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

'd imagine an internal view would be difficult for such games like the Burnout series,

dunno i always play much better internal...esp on the burnout series (just rented Revenge and am easily clocking up the perfects) my few attempts in external have been disastrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Different strokes for different folks I guess...

...what a fücking cliché.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

bumper cam in arcade games like burnout, nfs or Outrun but usually outside for rally games although i have been known to change

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

As my experience in car racing games isnt too extensive... ill say internal for Gran Turismo and external for everything else

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Depends on the game really... internal/bumper is better for judging exactly which way the car is facing at any given time, the springy-wobble chase cam just f*cks me up.
    Although the big exception here is anything in the WipeOut series... although it's more of a rush playing internal cam in wipeout, it's also a bit distracting with all the roll happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Yook

I use internal if it's available in the games. Otherwise I resort to external.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

External, I can't judge corners very well if I'm using internal (especially if I'm used to the tracks/courses with the external option). Like in Sega Rally 2, where once I decided to drive using the internal mode but kept turning too early because I couldn't judge the distances very well and thus hit every bloody wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Depends on the game really... internal/bumper is better for judging exactly which way the car is facing at any given time, the springy-wobble chase cam just f*cks me up.
    Although the big exception here is anything in the WipeOut series... although it's more of a rush playing internal cam in wipeout, it's also a bit distracting with all the roll happening.

Colin McCrae, GT4, GTA, F1; all internal. Mate of mine plays them all exteranl and can take better racing lines cos he can see them better he reckons. I prefer the realism TBH.

As for wipeout...used to be when I started playing it first (loooong time ago) it was external chase cam....but when I got wip3out I started using the internal cam all the time...when I wnet back to the older titles I bettered my laptimes using internal cam....I find the pitch and roll helpsme know where I am in the corners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Depends on the game really. Gran Turismo is definitely internal, more arcadey games would be external. A lot depends on how the game pulls the different angles off though, some games have a horrible chase camera that lets you see nothing, and in some the internal just doesn't feel right either. I'll usually go with the default and then experiment if it doesn't feel right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Internal in almost anything apart from GTA. Especially in Burnout Revenge, where you really need to see what's happening up ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

internal for gran tourismo
    external for everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Same as weemcd. I love to hear the engine noises in GT4, and I can race quite well internally.
    But for every other game I'd go external. I tried an internal view while playing Wipeout on the PSP and I did terribly. You're twisting all over the place and it's hard to keep control. It's also kinda tricky trying to see whats coming up along the track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

Always external i cant judge the cornors and hit everything when i use internal. Id us it in the real world if i could, would make driving a hell of a lot easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

external 99.9% of the time in all racing games.

dpad also depending on the game :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

internal for everything (where available)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

External. Find the internal view too disorientating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

external cant control the car at all internal, sometimes i use internal if it has an internal dashboard view cuz makes it feel more realist :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Always external. I could never get a handle on the internal view and usually make a balls up when i try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

I ALWAYS use the front bumper view... makes me feel like I'm flying :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

learned a valuable lesson...bumper view scary on f zero gx...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

I try to use internal view where possible.

crappy crapping bumper view on Gran Turismo. I know it would cost a lot of design time to create accurate cockpits for all 5,370,054 cars in GT4, but they could at least give us a standard one-size-fits all cockpit thing. I think the lack of cockpit detracts from the realism of the game more than anything else. Times have moved on, and the cockpit and head simulation is integral to the feeling of force in any PC racing sim worth its salt.

Thank god Project Gotham 3 will have cockpits.
    http://www.scene.org/~riot/PGR3/pgr3.wmv

Advertisement