Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are PSPs really like?

• 30-09-2005 8:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

G'day all...

I was wondering, what are the PSPs really like? Are they any good? I'm not really bothered about all the music that can be put on them or the amount of pics it can hold ( I have an iPod and a good digital cam)... I'm after a good hand-held gamer. I like the Playstations as I'm familiar with the games and the controls, not into Nintendo at all.... all they seem to have are Mario games.

Is it really worth the €255 retail price on them? what is the battery life like? The games are pricey enough too.

Just wondering if anybody who's bought one, would change anythin about them or if they'd buy something else?

Let me know, I'm about to spend €255 and the rest......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

bought one and love it

what i would change would be the shiny casing. its gets smudged up way too easily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

yeah the black casing shows up finger prints really easily but thtas it its a tremendous machine otherwise tbh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

actually my psp sucks.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

You can watch movies on it! its brilliant!! although you do get some weird looks when you laughing your ass off while staring into your lap on a bus/train.

And with homebrew, you can play all the old classic games from snes/nes etc.

Sean.

...and you can play kick ass nintendo games on them....like mario.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Chopper

The analogue stick is in the wrong place and will give you serious thumb strain aster a long period of play.

The games are quality Playstation standard although some of the load times can be a bit slow, e.g. the animated set pieces FIFA, but these can be switched off or indeed perhaps fixed with updated firmware.

I'm only had mine 6 weeks but I like it. I got the US version and so far it plays any Irish games which I have tried.

Also; I was talking to a guy who managed to fit all 3 Lord of the Rings movies onto a 1Gb memory stick !

Cheers,
    Chopper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭jamie_jj69

what is homebrew? sounds like dodgy drink....

does it come with the psp? or do u have to download it?

if u have to download it, then where from?

google is your friend :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

jamie_jj69 wrote:
    G'day all...
    not into Nintendo at all.... all they seem to have are Mario games.

Well you certainly know your stuff.... :rolleyes:

but yeah...PSPs are fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

If you're in Dublin, go to HMV in Grafton Street. They have around 5 PSPs lined up in testing booths downstairs.
    I think they had one if Game in Dawson Street too.
    That'll give you the feel and look of the games of it anyway before you part with any of your hard earned dosh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭klingklang

Bought mine in the US about 4 months ago and have used it every day since. The feature I really like is the jpeg viewer - the psp screen is miles better than the iPod photo for viewing snaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

If you take price out of the factor then the PSP is the best handheld console out there.

The graphics on the games is the best I have seen to date on a handheld and the movies are pretty good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Armen Tanzarian

Have mine about 3 months cant put it down, I was surprised at how good the screen was although I do have 1 dead pixel, not noticeable at all. Games are cheap :D

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

what i would change would be the shiny casing. its gets smudged up way too easily[/QUOTE]

Apart from that and then when u buy the silicon logic3 cover it holds sweat and other unwanted dirt inside the cover and is a bit of a pain but thats just nit picking if it lasts the course and doesn't go the way some brand new ps2s went it really is a great bit of kit and i can't belive im saying this but €250 is quiet cheap for what ur getting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Basically you see what you get, i myself dont play much games, but with the psp i can play it infront of the PC. Its pretty class , i didnt play it much at first then i got burnout and played it a little, messing with it ALOT now that i can run homebrew on it.

IF you decide to get it , then get it 255 and get a 1gb card and go the home brew way, games are ridiculously expensive, i already bought three 55 euros each [HMV]

i only got it because i can afford it, its just an expensive gadget, this wont fit in your jeans.

ALSO you cant view your pic while listening to music ! - how crap ? apparently theres a program for that . You can get Notepad/pdf readers other homebrew apps aswell, so alot you can do with it.

Advertisement