Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A&E in galway ...

Options
  • 30-09-2005 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭

never go ...

3 hours waiting and still nothing ... so we eventually left ... and will go to the gp ...

now I can see people in there doing absolutely nothing .. but still we queue ...

whats more when we went in the car park was open ... it was 5~ in the morning so we didn't get a ticket ...

when we leave its down .. so you can't get out without paying .. but we've no ticket .. go back inside ... nothing they can do .. might have to wait to talk to someone .. **** THAT ...

can you tell I'm pissed off ...

maybe they do a great job ... but this is my experience this morning ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Its always like that. I was there a couple of weeks ago with my knee. Was waiting for about 3-4 hours before I got seen to. God help you if you have to get an X-ray, add another 2 hours to the wait, fs :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

error9 wrote:
    3 hours waiting and still nothing ... so we eventually left ... and will go to the gp ...

If it's something that can be dealt with by a GP then why did you go to A&E? A&E is for emergencies! It's all the people who should be at their GP that are causing so many of the delays :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

extremely sharp pain below lower right rib ?? I'm not a doctor and the gp wasn't available at the time ... subsided later on ... in the mean time when she was in agony she's told to take a seat ... 3 hours later ... she's still in pain extremely nervous and still no sign of a doctor. Triage *spelling* nurse does a blood pressure ?? or whatever ... work up and asks a few questions ... maybe they know more than me ... I hope to god so

not a case of her having alcohol taken so they can't give her anything ... a brief exam ... maybe ... anything ... don't just leave people sitting there ... when I can see staff inside chatting and laughing away ...

now I could have it totally wrong but on 2 or 3 hours sleep ... and my gf in so much pain she's crying her eyes out ... I take her to the A&E

edit: Add to that we phoned WestDoc ?? and they told us to go immediately to A&E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Dundhoone

thats pretty bad alright, I can understand why if you come in with something not to serious that they leave you for a few hours and skip more serious people ahead of you. In fact, I reckon anyone who shows up with something minor like a cut or sprain and has drink taken probably should have to wait for more than a few hours.

Still something like a pain like that in a sober person should be seen fast, especially if the GP has reccomended it.
    How would it have worked out if you had gone home and rang for an ambulance? would you still have to wait when yo got to A&E?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Dundhoone wrote:
    thats pretty bad alright, I can understand why if you come in with something not to serious that they leave you for a few hours and skip more serious people ahead of you. In fact, I reckon anyone who shows up with something minor like a cut or sprain and has drink taken probably should have to wait for more than a few hours.

Still something like a pain like that in a sober person should be seen fast, especially if the GP has reccomended it.
    How would it have worked out if you had gone home and rang for an ambulance? would you still have to wait when yo got to A&E?

but what may appear to be minor on a drunk person could turn out to be quite serious as the drink will thin his blood making any cut's internal or not bleed more. it may also act as a painkiller making the patient concentrate on bleeding rather than something else

• Advertisement

I've been talking to a few other people about this and all I've heard are horror stories about waiting there ...

I knew that there would be a bit of a wait .. but seeing no one else was queuing it lead me to believe someone would be with us fairly quickly ...

In the end it turned out to be a bad kidney infection ... I never realised that it could be like that ... I know people who have had them and have had mild discomfort ... my gf could barely move with the pain :( then it subsided a bit .. and she later went to the gp .. who in 5 minutes gave her a diagnosis / prescription ... and well gf was finally feeling better yesterday evening ...

while this may not be life threatening it makes me wonder how many others are put on hold and have to suffer a lot of pain ... someone pointed out if we'd phoned an ambulance we'd have been in and seen to ... well I think we would as I saw a few people going in and coming out after a few minutes ... a woman and her child for example ... I'm not sure what their problem was but they came in in an ambulance and were seen to ... let in the waiting room site ... so obviously it can't have been that urgent ...

Whether its that they are understaffed / lazy / incompetent / poorly organised .. is not for me to say I just know my experience with it now and a number of horror stories from other people ... 1 such example was .. oh we've actually lost your file but it'll probably turn up can you wait for a bit .. another 2 hours later ... ?? they finally saw them ... and they were waiting there for 14 hours in total that day

*end rant*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dilly1

Don't get sick in Ireland... anywhere.

unfortunately this sounds more and more like good advice ...

I have friends from europe who went home to have operations ...
    6+ months wait here ... 2 - 3 weeks at home ...

I mean ???

Advertisement