Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fridays eL action

• 30-09-2005 10:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

SHAMROCK ROVERS v LONGFORD TOWN

Jason McGuinness (knee) is out for the
    season and interesting former club
    Bohemains.

Town skipper Barry Ferguson (broken
    wrist) is also gone for the remainder
    of the season.

'We have a lot of work still to do but
    I would be confident enough about our
    chances,' said Rovers' boss Roddy
    Collins. 'I've upped the ante in
    training.'

WATERFORD UNITED v BOHEMIANS

Blues are without banned midfielder
    Kevin Waters who was sent off for the
    first time in his career against
    Shelbourne a fortnight ago.

John Hayes (hamstring) and Sean Finn
    (knee) are big doubts.

Des Byrne is suspended for Bohs while
    Under-21 panellist Stephen Ward is a
    doubt with a knee strain.

'If we managed a win then it would
    change the course of our season in
    terms of belief,' said Blues' boss
    Brendan Rea who will value the advice
    of Pat Dolan.

DERRY v SHELBOURNE

For the first time this season, Derry
    are at full strength and likely to
    stick with the same team that defeated
    Shamrock Rovers last week.

'It's as simple as this: We won't get a
    more difficult game this season,' said
    Derry boss Stephen Kenny.

Shels, with five good wins on the
    bounce behind them, have a full squad
    to pick from with the exception of
    keeper Stevee Williams (broken finger).

'I am not interested in anyone else but
    us. We're just concentrating on our own
    job from now until the end of the
    season,' said Shels boss Pat Fenlon.

BRAY WANDERERS v DROGHEDA

Bray skipper Jody Lynch continues to be
    hampered by an ankle injury and is a
    major doubt.

With Brian McGovern also a big doubt,
    Colm Tresson may have to drop back into
    defence for this FAI Cup semi-final
    rehearsal.

Drogheda boss Paul Doolin has a full
    squad to choose from.

'Already the hype about the Cup semi
    has taken place, But we won't think
    about that for another three weeks,'
    said Doolin.

ST PATRICK'S v FINN HARPS

St Pat's boss John McDonnell has
    selection headaches for this releagtion
    six-pointer.

Colm Foley is out for the rest of the
    season while Darragh Maguire, John
    Frost and Chris Armstrong are also out.

Harps are forced into a change in
    midfield with Stephen Capper banned.

'We need to win this game if we have
    any chance of getting out of the bottom
    two,' said Harps' caretaker boss
    Anthony Gorman.

As far as I know there aren't any games on TV, which is disappointing as Shels-Derry looks promising. Pats-Harps is an important one too, both sides will be well up for it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Leaving in a few minutes to begin the trek from Ballywaltrim to Derry :) This game will have goals, but not too many. 2-1 Shelbourne is my prediction for this one, as Derry will score. But with the form of our front two I'd expect at least 1 goal from us.

Pray UCD can get a point or more on Sunday! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    BRAY WANDERERS v DROGHEDA

Bray skipper Jody Lynch continues to be
    hampered by an ankle injury and is a
    major doubt.

With Brian McGovern also a big doubt,
    Colm Tresson may have to drop back into
    defence for this FAI Cup semi-final
    rehearsal.

Drogheda boss Paul Doolin has a full
    squad to choose from.

'Already the hype about the Cup semi
    has taken place, But we won't think
    about that for another three weeks,'
    said Doolin.

Should be a decent game especially since its a warm up for the cup semi-final. Hopefully ill make it to this game tonight but not sure if I can or not yet. Shels and Derry should be a good game and im a bit surprised its not being shown on tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Derry 1 - 0 Shels

Not sure what i want here. Probably a Derry win, so then Shels will be totally out of the race, then CCFC have only one team to look after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

45' Waterford U. 1 - 0 Bohemians
    31' Bray Wanderers 0 - 1 Drogheda United
    31' Derry City 1 - 0 Shelbourne
    31' Shamrock Rovers 1 - 0 Longford Town
    31' St. Patricks 0 - 0 Finn Harps

In too late to go :( Missed last 4 games stupid work :(

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pp_me129

waterford 2-0 bohs
    bary 0-2 drogheda
    rovers 4-2 longford
    st pats 0-0 finn harps
    derry 1-1 shelbourne

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Shelbourne lose 2-1 :/ O'Flynn goal in injury time.

DubGuy wrote:
    Shelbourne lose 2-1 :/ O'Flynn goal in injury time.
    #
    That sucks
    #

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Just back from the RSC. Great display by the Blues. Best in a long time. Very fortunate with the first goal, but who cares, we need a bit of luck!

KevIRL wrote:
    Just back from the RSC. Great display by the Blues. Best in a long time. Very fortunate with the first goal, but who cares, we need a bit of luck!

yep me two great game keep it up blues

they needed a win but if they lost pat dolen would be throwing boots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Disgraceful performance from Shels, though we did have to play 4-5-1 as we'd two strikers out and Fenlons irrational blind spot when it comes to playing Glen Fitzpatrick.

got a lucky goal and just didn't threaten at all beyond that.

• Advertisement

Slash/ED wrote:
    Disgraceful performance from Shels, though we did have to play 4-5-1 as we'd two strikers out and Fenlons irrational blind spot when it comes to playing Glen Fitzpatrick.

got a lucky goal and just didn't threaten at all beyond that.
    Pretty much agree with that. We had alot of posession but didn't make any real chances, and our goal seemed to spill under Forde's body.

Well done to Derry, and best of luck in the push for the league. Of course, if you win the Cup I hope you slip up and let Cork win the league so Shels get UEFA Cup next year! ;)

Congratulations to Waterford, big big big win!! :)

oh look we didnt score again :(

We have the best defence in the bottom six and worst attack in the league, my very 1st post when the league started was we need a striker still need one now.

On to next week so, should be a handy 3 points.

kdjac

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    Well done to Derry, and best of luck in the push for the league. Of course, if you win the Cup I hope you slip up and let Cork win the league so Shels get UEFA Cup next year! ;)

Nope. The UEFA cup spot will go the the cup runner up. Only way Shels will get the UEFA spot is by finishing 2nd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

KdjaC wrote:
    On to next week so, should be a handy 3 points.

Lol, we'll see...

gimmick wrote:
    Nope. The UEFA cup spot will go the the cup runner up. Only way Shels will get the UEFA spot is by finishing 2nd.
    I've read elsewhere that this is only if the Cup Winners are the league winners. Apparently its to do with the fact that the Cup spot is considered higher than the league spot, and so the Cup winners take their european spot from the cup, and the league spot gets handed down.

Assume:
    Cork win league.
    Derry win cup, and take cups UEFA spot as it is regarded better than league UEFA spot as its the old Cup Winners Cup spot.
    Shels get UEFA for third.
    intertoto for fourth.

Assue:
    Cork win league.
    Cork win cup, but already have CL position, and so the UEFA spot goes to the other finalists, regardless of who wins.
    Derry get UEFA for second.
    Shels enjoy intertoto glory.

I've read elsewhere that this is only if the Cup Winners are the league winners. Apparently its to do with the fact that the Cup spot is considered higher than the league spot, and so the Cup winners take their european spot from the cup, and the league spot gets handed down.

Assume:
    Cork win league.
    Derry win cup, and take cups UEFA spot as it is regarded better than league UEFA spot as its the old Cup Winners Cup spot.
    Shels get UEFA for third.
    intertoto for fourth.

Assue:
    Cork win league.
    Cork win cup, but already have CL position, and so the UEFA spot goes to the other finalists, regardless of who wins.
    Derry get UEFA for second.
    Shels enjoy intertoto glory.

My head hurt's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Good to see Cork City are winning in both permutations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

What permutations does it take for Shels to get into Setanta cup? Or is that possability gone out the window with the FAI cup draw? (and save for finishing second of course....)

Bar a disaster, Shels are in the setanta cup. Derry won the league cup and will finish in the top 2 so 3rd in the league rather than winners up in the LC gets the setanta cup place.

To make the UEFA cup, Shels need Derry or Cork to win the cup but whichever team who wins it not to complete the double and win the league. Complicated but that's how it works it seems.

Cork City 1 - 0 Student Menace

City should have had 5 or 6. UCD were down to 10 men after 30 mins. Their keeper had an inspired match, making 3 absolutely fantatstic saves.

Horrible game, but a big 3 points, especially a game so close after playing in Europe. Back top of the league on goal difference, with a game in hand, which is against Finn Harps away. Hopefully 3 points there will put major pressure on Derry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Feck sake its been a while since i was able to post here . The relief let me tell you of a new start on a monday morning.

Now by the sounds of that you would think i was in a good mood.Well i aint. My team dundalk traveled to kilkenny looking for a win if they had any chance of promotion.

Kilkenny 1 - 1 dundalk

so the table stands
    Sligo Rvrs   28  14  10   4  37  22  52
     Dublin City  29  12  11   6  42  26  47
     Cobh Rmbls   29  13   8   8  41  32  47
     Limerick FC  29  12   6  11  35  36  42
     Dundalk FC   29  11   7  11  40  37  40

Welcome back Sarge. Not looking too good for yiz at the moment but don't despair.

Great results for Cobh Ramblers over the weekend, and with a home match to Monaghan at the weekend, they could really strengthen their position. Im sure most would agree with me that they would prefer see Ramblers in the play-off than CHF.

One way or other, its looking like a lock that Sligo are coming up, and having seen them twice this season, they will hold their own in the premier.

We have two huge games coming up . On Thursday Night we we at home to league leaders sligo rovers and the following thursday we are away to dublin city . i expect 4points from 6 here is hoping. Do dublin city play their home games in tolka ? Going to head up to that one myself

thanks for the welcome back joe

Gimmick who is CHF ? Excuse my lack of intelligence.

They play in Inchicore AFAIK, though Im sure someone said they are back at Whitehall.

A win for Sligo against Dundalk will all but wrap up their promotion. Hopefully ye can beat CHF the following week, allowing Ramblers to capitalise.

Dublin City are back in Whitehall, where they belong!

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Dublin City are back in Whitehall, where they belong!

Dead on i should be going to that game to cheer on the LILYWHITES :)

When is that game? Might wander up myself if doesn't clash with anything important! :D

• Advertisement

thursday 13th oct !

I should be able to walk by then, and doesn't interfere with Shels games. Might wander up.

Only saw the Shels game now (got tickets for Des Bishop for my birthday on Friday), we didn't look like we deserved anything but the penalty shout looked as clear as they come.

I'm really not as convinced as others, I think he just got a nick on the ball before hitting the man, and that's all you need.

It was hard to tell from the one camera angle but it certainly looked it. Looking forward to seeing the Waterford-Bohs farce again!

Anyone watching eL weekly? What was the cameraman looking at exactly?

Clip available here anyway - http://media.putfile.com/bohsgoals

[Edit - gets better every time! Was never offside either!]

• Advertisement

Bohs 1 Pats 1
    Both penos and O Connor sent off for Pats, why Keddy wasnt sent off for bohs i dont know.

Why does god mock us, for 85 minutes we can beat anyone :(
    Bohemians and St Patrick's Athletic could not be separated as they drew one-all in the eircom Premier Division at Dalymount Park tonight.

The visitors dominated the first half and should have scored at least one goal from their mountain of chances.

In the 15th minute, Ger Rowe struck Matt Gregg's palms with a long range shot only for Glen Larsen to head the rebound narrowly over.
    Adblock

Larsen went even closer in the 35th minute when he forced Gregg to turn his stinging 20-yard drive onto the post.

And St Pat's were rewarded for their endeavour when they took the lead in the 52nd minute when they won a penalty for James Keddy's clumsy foul on Larsen which allowed Michael Foley to coolly slot home from 12 yards.

But Bohemians equalised with 22 minutes remaining when Tony Grant scored from the spot after Sean O'Connor had been dismissed for a professional foul on Stephen Rice.

Few directors walked out at half time on friday and some people who call themselves fans are boycotting games, its like supporting Cork with the Continuty fans and the "splitters".

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Anyone watching eL weekly? What was the cameraman looking at exactly?

Clip available here anyway - http://media.putfile.com/bohsgoals

[Edit - gets better every time! Was never offside either!]

Some brilliant crowd celebrations hahah

KdjaC wrote:
    Bohs 1 Pats 1
    Both penos and O Connor sent off for Pats, why Keddy wasnt sent off for bohs i dont know.

Why does god mock us, for 85 minutes we can beat anyone :(

Few directors walked out at half time on friday and some people who call themselves fans are boycotting games, its like supporting Cork with the Continuty fans and the "splitters".

kdjac
    At least you can hold your head up high! :) Lol, what thinks you of the new Roddy to Pats rumours? Will you beat anyone then?!

At least you can hold your head up high! :) Lol, what thinks you of the new Roddy to Pats rumours? Will you beat anyone then?!

Heh i think the smart money is on another investor and soon to be owner....smart smoney for those who didnt read it ;)

kdjac

Tonight thursday 6th of october

Dundalk vs Sligo rovers

Im really hoping for a home win here , last time we played them was in sligo were we robbed them of three points. they will be out for revenge tonight.Im very hopful for a home win but realistically all that will happen will be a draw.

On a seprate issue while reading this thread on foot.ie , what were the rovers fans playing at again in the brandywell.Amazes me that someone would actually go to derry and insult the people and supporters like that.Time for these fans to grow up they are a disgrace to their club, and a disgrace to the majority of good rovers fans that there is. i feel sorry for these been painted with the same brush

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭air_vent

That thread on foot.ie just really sums up the mentality of some of the "hardcore" el fans.
    By meaning hardcore i mean the sad ejits that give the EL and one or two of the teams a bad name BFC and SRFC. The bigots that boo at ranger players etc.
    Just have to accept it really , I get the impresion that the clubs thenselves could not give a dam either given the response of some of the boards to some recent action ( 400 club gets a mention here ). Best not acciocate noting else you can do.

WHOO finally on the Soccer Forum!!!!

Welcome to the forum air_vent (Check your sig, its a bit over the rules, just in case...), let us know how that game went too Sarge, a win is absolutely crucial for you guys tonight.

P W D L F A Pts
    Sligo Rvrs
    28 14 10 4 37 22 52
    Dublin City----29 12 11 6 42 26 47
    Cobh Rmbls---29 13 8 8 41 32 47
    Limerick FC---29 12 6 11 35 36 42
    Dundalk FC---29 11 7 11 40 37 40
    Kilkenny C----29 11 6 12 36 29 39
    Galway Utd---29 10 8 11 33 38 38
    Kildare Co----28 9 7 12 25 31 34
    Monaghan U--29 7 9 13 28 47 30
    Athlone Tn---29 5 8 16 21 40 23

air_vent wrote:
    The bigots that boo at ranger players etc.
    J

I think your way off there, theres only one kind of Irish fan that boos rangers fan...the worst kind of fan Irish Celtic fans :( They boo irish players too.

Other than that spot on welcome to soccer place etc:

kdjac

Right lads just back from oriel park now , and i must say that the performance tonight was proberbly the best ive seen dundalk play in the last year , it was a great game of football and the referee was super letting the game be played.Sligo and dundalk both had chances to win the game dundalk more so, Bit shocked at the lack of sligo fans for a team that is top of the league i know if dundalk were top of the league we would bring a couple of hundred to any game! Eh the game itself ended 0-0 and me leaving oriel park happy for once.we are not ready to go up yet ill be going to see dundalk vs dublin city next thursday night all going well with work.good game of football and hope all the sligo rovers fans(20?) enjoyed lily the panda :)

Advertisement