Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

skoda v hyundai

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I was only in a dealers last week when I was dropping my older model in and I had a sit in the new Octavia, I really liked the inside and I thought the seats were great, didn't take it for a spin though, didn't want any further temptation !

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

guys

just as a little aside.....petrol v diesel engine

Taking into account the higher purchase price, higher tax and insurance, higher maintenance costs(?). of the diesel over petrol engine....eg Octavia 1.4 petrol against 1.9 diesel.

At what point do you break even with cheaper diesel fuel.....in other words what sort of milage /usage would justify opting for diesel.

Any more comments hyundai v skoda....I have met a couple of hyundai owners recently and they swear by them....I'm still leaning towards Octavia 1.4 ambient(new model)
    thanks inadvance
    t

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

You cant compare an Octavia 1.4 petrol to a 1.9 Diesel.

Driving the 1.4 will be a battle with the gearbox while the Diesel will cruise all day in 5th (where there isnt tailbacks...)

I have no idea at what point the car will repay in terms of mileage, but you should get most of the premium back on resale, not to mention it should sell far quicker than a dangerously underpowered 1.4

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

tapest wrote:
    guys

just as a little aside.....petrol v diesel engine

Taking into account the higher purchase price, higher tax and insurance, higher maintenance costs(?). of the diesel over petrol engine....eg Octavia 1.4 petrol against 1.9 diesel.

At what point do you break even with cheaper diesel fuel.....in other words what sort of milage /usage would justify opting for diesel.

Any more comments hyundai v skoda....I have met a couple of hyundai owners recently and they swear by them....I'm still leaning towards Octavia 1.4 ambient(new model)
    thanks inadvance
    t

A general rule of thumb for new cars wouuld be 20k miles pa. The maintenance costs aren't necessarily higher but the service intervals are shorter, ie cheaper servicing but more frequent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Why does everyone compare a 1.4 petrol to a 1.9 diesel?

Are some people under the impression these engines are equal performance wise? If you are under that impression, you are so so so wrong...

For example:
    Compare a 1.4 petrol polo to a 1.4 diesel polo
    Tax - Same
    Insurance - Same
    Purchase cost - Petrol is cheaper
    Resale value - Petrol gets less
    Servicing - Negligable
    Cost of ownership excluding fuel - Same

Petrol Price - Higher than diesel
    Diesel price - Less than petrol
    MPG - Diesel is far superior

OVERALL cost of ownership - Diesel is cheaper. The higher milage you do, the more pronounced this is.
    Also a modern 1.4 diesel engine will be more torque-ie (is that a word?) and possibly more BHP, and deffo more tunable.

• Advertisement

Maidhc & Alias no.9
    Thanks for reply

20 k miles / yr....yeh, ok , right.....I do about 5k /yr tops...so that's one outta way

I take your point about 1.4 v 1.9D....A fairer comparison would have been 1.6 petrol...academic now.
    I expected the 1.4, pulling that amount of metal to be a little underpowered...but "dangerously" so. Could you expand on this before I commit myself???
    regards
    t

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

An exaggeration on my part...

I would say if you are traveling from cork <-> dublin a lot with 5 adults you may find overtaking artics a somewhat tiresome experience (I base this on my mk1 mondeo 1.8TD!!!) , but I would imagine for ordinary driving the 1.4 will be a grand car. It is fantastic value too for what you are getting.

Hi Folks

AS promised the final decision

I started dittering , Nissan almera compared well in price, specs etc, also looked at Astra. But.....I bit the bullet and went for Octavia 1.4 ambient. Overriding point was leg room in rear and height adjust front passenger seat( although later I was told it could be added to base model for less than 100€. I have two very ocassional passengers with medical problems, hence need for space and as I'm the only driverin the 3 households...
    I plumbed for factory installed alarm ( usually install my own cheapo), am slightly worried about "fully integrated"...and not having the ability of shutting it down.

Many thanks lads for letting yourselves be used as sounding boards.Greately appreciated
    t

Advertisement